Free Signal-Stat 384 "Flashball"

CFD125

Member
Member
May 21, 2010
488
21
62
Carver, Mass.
Quick story here.


Every year in Carver, we train a few new firefighters for the town of Hanover, Mass. Thier chief loves our training program.


Well, this morning, one of the Hanover firefighters from last year,stopped by my auto parts store in Hanover, and said he got some old red lights from one of the senior guys on his department.


He said he had no use for this light, and would I like to have it for my collection? He said it wasn't a very good light, because it just flashed on and off.


So here is a VERY nice Signal-Stat 384. SS's version of the Flashball. It needs a little cleaning up, but is in great shape with the original flasher.


ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_Signal_20Stat_20384_20Flashball_1293114525.jpg


ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_Signal_20Stat_20384_20Flashball_1293114508.jpg


ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_Signal_20Stat_20384_20Flashball_1293114445.jpg


ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_Signal_20Stat_20384_20Flashball_1293114490.jpg


ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_Signal_20Stat_20384_20Flashball_1293114513.jpg
 
You are quite fortunate have been bestowed with such an item. That is the exact type (metal magnet housings) that was used in the Starsky & Hutch tv show the first two seasons. In the third season they switched to a Fireball FBH-11.


I think the Signal Stat 384 and Federal FBF made good dash board lights, but were poor choices for uses such as what was depicted in Starsky & Hutch. Rarely did the 384 get placed on the roof with the reflector pointing perfectly forward and sometimes it was put up there pointing directly over the driver's side of the Torino. :roll:
 
stansdds said:
You are quite fortunate have been bestowed with such an item. That is the exact type (metal magnet housings) that was used in the Starsky & Hutch tv show the first two seasons. In the third season they switched to a Fireball FBH-11.

I think the Signal Stat 384 and Federal FBF made good dash board lights, but were poor choices for uses such as what was depicted in Starsky & Hutch. Rarely did the 384 get placed on the roof with the reflector pointing perfectly forward and sometimes it was put up there pointing directly over the driver's side of the Torino. :roll:

Not only that, but it should have been steady burn for California.


They never figured that out on Starsky & Hutch, or Streets of San Francisco


:eek:
 
CFD125 said:
Not only that, but it should have been steady burn for California.
They never figured that out on Starsky & Hutch, or Streets of San Francisco


:eek:
Has the steady burn law been around THAT long?
 
I think the steady burn rule for California has been around since the advent of the rotating beacon.
 
CFD125 said:
Not only that, but it should have been steady burn for California.
They never figured that out on Starsky & Hutch, or Streets of San Francisco


:eek:
Shoot, even Nash Bridges (SFPD) didn't use a steady burn, it was either alternating incandescent or strobe blue-red dash visor depending on which season you watch. It's amazing the mistakes Hollyweird makes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
stansdds said:
Shoot, even Nash Bridges (SFPD) didn't use a steady burn, it was either alternating incandescent or strobe blue-red dash visor depending on which season you watch. It's amazing the mistakes Hollyweird makes.

Maybe they couldn't get clearance from the local officials to use steady burn? Considering that they're not real emergency vehicles, that kind of makes sense, even though they were movies.
 
I don't know, Emergency! and CHiP's didn't seem to have any problems.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
54,442
Messages
451,828
Members
19,340
Latest member
DylanHallWx