FS Vector on 2007 Chevy SIlverado POV **UPDATED 11-04-14**

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HdTUFAcsg

This is a Vector bar someone gave me years ago. 2 of the standard rotator pods were bad so I took the hardware out and ordered some stuff from ETD to replace them. The pods on the end are the "smart" pods that can do 18 different things plus alleys and worklight/takedowns. I also used a trick from a Youtuber to clean the lenses with toothpaste, elbow grease and a shop towel to get the scratches and yellowing off the lenses. The 3M restore kit (thanks unnamed store for 18 bucks) worked great on the colored domes but toothpaste and a towel worked better on the clears.. Heres the breakdown

Dash: ETD LED Dual
Grille: ETD Deck 2 Dual
Strobes: Whelen 90w 6head strobe supply with clear tubes in the head/backup lights and blue tubes in the bed cargo lights (which I can still use).
Lightbar: Federal Signal Vector with 2 smart pods set for intersection. Pods 3 and 5 modified with ETD Bumper LEDs facing the rear and an older version of the ETD LED Quad bar cut in half to face forward and out at the sides.

Where im at volunteer can only run blue/clear. All of the LEDs are from Extreme Tactical Dynamics. I know its sacrilege to put Chinese lights in a bar made in the USA....but ive got under 200 dollars in the entire set up. The arrowstick is not wired because "legally" I cant use it. Also the dashlight is off center because of the DRL sensor in the dash board. I also have a WOLO air horn and VIAIR air source kit under the hood which works great with air tools and inflating stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Sparky,

I think it looks good. The combination of Smart Pods, the regular rotators and the LED's looks sharp in my opinion. On a side note, I would look into getting the signal master connected. I understand you not supposed to use it for response, however it is a nice option if you need to warn traffic and you don't want to turn something into a "blue light show"...

Dennis

resQyou

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Aside from the decision to use ETD equipment, I love it! When done right, LED/halogen and LED/strobe combos are remarkably effective.

My only concern is using HAWs in the cargo lights (I personally don't use anything there other than LED due to the risk of melting the housings).

What I would like to see done:

--add a HLF

--make the LED pods double stacked in the front (they look "good" so far, but filling each pod with 2x the punch would look "great" IMO)

--get some bigger grill lights (you can then move those smaller lights to side of the PB or rear by the LP

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
put blue filters on the arrowstick, then you can use it....

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Jarred,

I was sitting here and was thinking of different ideas for the poster... You got it posted before I could a great idea...

Dennis

resQyou

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I find Illinois' lighting laws funny...within Chicago city limits all blue is PD (since, from my undrstanding of the V&T law there, cities that have a pop. > 500K can use all-blue), but outside of the large cities, blue is a vollie FF; AND an amber TA isn't allowed by a vollie (but it can be used by pretty much everyone else)?

I don't know of too many states that restrict such use (although states like NY technically only allow blue, I've never seen an LEO hassle or ticket a vollie with amber lighting), and it's stupid when there are so many stupid clauses/stipulations in each part of the V&T lighting color laws. But like they said, blue lenses on a slow wigwag speed (ie outer 4 modules alternating with inner 4 modules) would look nice IMO

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
You had me at "Vector"

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
This...

uh, I know there's something I've called the best thing I've ever seen on ELB, but I can't remember what it is. Until I remember, this is it.

Add a pair of Whelen Nano Pioneers for takedowns and alleys and you're done. That empty space just doesn't seem right.

edit: Ok, never mind, you've got that covered with the smart pods. Maybe add two pairs of LINZ6 for off-axis warning, to complement the Vector's shape?

I do love the clear on the ends though.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Looks good... Couple of my personal OCD things...

- Alternate the bumper lights

- Center the dash light

- Alternate the rear strobes

- Alternate the LEDs in the front of the bar

- Alternate the LEDs in the rear of the bar

Looks like a solid start though... Just save up the funds to replace those EDTs... But I can't knock ya for using what ya got...

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Muxlow said:
Good god man! You need a Federal Signal SS2000SM or something. Your switch box thing is HUGE :)

Ya I found that thing on EBAY for 80 bucks...10 switches each with its own 20A fuse. Couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
TritonBoulder47 said:
Looks good... Couple of my personal OCD things...
- Alternate the bumper lights

- Center the dash light

- Alternate the rear strobes

- Alternate the LEDs in the front of the bar

- Alternate the LEDs in the rear of the bar

Looks like a solid start though... Just save up the funds to replace those EDTs... But I can't knock ya for using what ya got...

Thanks. At one point I did try every combo of flash patterns for the strobes and LEDs and I found that it adds more punch having them flash together. The different levels cover more vertical space so whoever is in front of you gets a good blast in their rearview mirror. Id love to put in FS, Code3, Whelen, etc. eventually. Time and money will help with that.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
pdk9 said:
Aside from the decision to use ETD equipment, I love it! When done right, LED/halogen and LED/strobe combos are remarkably effective.
My only concern is using HAWs in the cargo lights (I personally don't use anything there other than LED due to the risk of melting the housings).

What I would like to see done:

--add a HLF

--make the LED pods double stacked in the front (they look "good" so far, but filling each pod with 2x the punch would look "great" IMO)

--get some bigger grill lights (you can then move those smaller lights to side of the PB or rear by the LP

Thanks for the ideas. On the grille lights...Initially I was going to alt flash or install some blue HAW LEDs in the KC lights and I still might to replace the mini lights.

And on your 2nd post about IL IVC laws...agreed. Personally the only dept. that would cite me would be ISP or IL SOS PD. They pretty much do nothing but traffic laws. The local and county folks generally don't bother vollies about that stuff. But once you get an accident on a state route and a trooper sees it they may not write you but they will get visibly and verbally upset (ive seen it). Its their accident scene and they are responsible for traffic and safety of everyone there..So I see it both ways but I do think finding BLUE lenses is a good fix/alternative to the amber.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
nerdly_dood said:
This...

uh, I know there's something I've called the best thing I've ever seen on ELB, but I can't remember what it is. Until I remember, this is it.

Add a pair of Whelen Nano Pioneers for takedowns and alleys and you're done. That empty space just doesn't seem right.

edit: Ok, never mind, you've got that covered with the smart pods. Maybe add two pairs of LINZ6 for off-axis warning, to complement the Vector's shape?

I do love the clear on the ends though.

Thanks. From the factory the smart pods were in the 2 and 6 postitions. I still don't get why they did that. :confused: If you have alleys why put them inboard? With'em on the ends I can "jog" the lights 360 deg. Great for work lights (backing up to trailer, etc.) or when I cant park pointing my nose where I need the light.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I LOVE it.... Other than the ETD lighting, but hey if I say you can "luck" out and get an STL product that works... I guess you can with ETD.

Only thing I would say is save up a bit of money and upgrade the ETDs to a "quality" light when you can.

Oh, and please CENTER the dash light.

As for the TA, someone said swap the lenses to blue... +1 for that. I don't understand why you can't use it, but laws are laws.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I love the vector with the clear ends. Looks very NYPD, only, blue lenses, not red.

And plus 13 on this, Go in the classifieds and find some quality LEDs to replace those ETDs. Looks great so far.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Jarred J. said:
put blue filters on the arrowstick, then you can use it....

Thanks to another member (ChargerLighting) for hooking me up with 8 blue filters.

Also have some new additions installed, video coming soon.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Sparky_911 said:
Thanks to another member (ChargerLighting) for hooking me up with 8 blue filters.
Also have some new additions installed, video coming soon.

oh im excited for this. i love this bar. makes me want to update my vision bar.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Love the vector bars! It sets the truck off for sure. If you can't use the TA maybe remove it? Or swap the bar for an identical bar without the TA.

Troop

Nov 14, 2013
East Coast
From one Silverado owner to another, nice looking truck! I've always thought the Vector bars are cool...and I like the mix between LED's and everything else. Mean looking front bumper, too. Thanks for sharing.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thanks..Im actually doing some additions today. Ill try and post up some vid by this weekend. And in regards to your thought on IL vehicle laws im with you. I don't go to Chicago in my ride but I have with other FF's and we get hard looks from CPD when they pass us. There was a thread here somewhere for all 50 states regarding that topic (anybody know??). I know if you go to State Statutes Regarding Emergency Lights | 911 Signal USA they have a list of most states laws. Some just don't make sense to me either, but im sure theres a reason for doing what they do.....

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
OK I know I said I was going to post some video of my rig updates over a month ago...bad weather and my own stupidity while doing said updates has slowed me down. I did get the signalmaster swapped out to blue and installed a random flasher (thank you MtnMan). During that process I fried some of the LEDs :duh: so Ill post up the signalmaster video this weekend. I will post more when I get the rest of it done.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Cant find my good camera so I used my phone.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
With how cheap the blue 400 series LEDs are becoming used you may be able to ditch that knock-off stuff and upfit no nice LEDs. I love the sweeping pods though.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thanks for the idea....its hard to find replacement heads that will fit in the pods. 3x4 is about max. You are talking the Whelens right?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Yeah whelen 400 series 6over6 heads are really nice and will fit fine. The same heads that are used in a freedom bar

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thanks all for the Whelen info...part of my uncle sam refund is now reserved for some...although I found out the heads are fine..it was the flasher. Had a spare so its all back up. Also unpacked my good camera so I'll try to get video up this weekend of the whole she-bang running.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Heres the updates...

Added the blue arrowstick with random flasher (thanks again MtnMan and Chargerlighting)

Moved the blue strobes from the rear cargo lights to the KC offroad housings in the front.

Changed up the overhead led patterns.

Everything else remains the same from my previous.

Im looking at LED 2 pin replacements for the 'stick and the Whelen 400 series to replace the puny LEDs in the bar.

Will post more as it gets done. Now have just under 300 in the whole deal.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Makes me nuts too....but the dang headlight sensor is there. So if I center the light then my head/tail/dash lights run all the time. Still workin on a solution to that.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Sparky_911 said:
Makes me nuts too....but the dang headlight sensor is there. So if I center the light then my head/tail/dash lights run all the time. Still workin on a solution to that.

Its been forever since I have been on this site.

But since the sensor is there, depending on how far back it is from the windshield, you maybe able to drill a hole in the flashback shield of the LED light, so when it is over the sensor, the ambient light will still hit it. Just an idea, but not sure if it is just the shield blocking it, or the light housing, if it is the housing, maybe mount it further back just a little, and then put a hole in the shield.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Shawn L said:
and just to clarify the Whelen 400 series heads are the replacement for the 3x4 heads.

I bought 2 Whelen 400 heads from Ranger Services for under 100 bucks. Will post video after doing the install...if the damn snow ever goes away.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Damn snow is finally gone...posting up video this weekend. Ive also acquired a Gopro camera. People on my Youtube channel have asked for response videos so Ill post em up under the response section on elightbars soon.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois

So after some final tweaking and some delays due to work, snow, blah, blah, life, blah, blah. Here it is...the before and after.
Added some blue strobes to the KC's, Whelen 400s replaced the Chinese 6 pack TIRs (no more sacrilege...ha ha) , and switched the outboard pods to rotate. I found that the intersection setting was drowning out the blues. Everything else pretty much the same.
100 bucks for the pair of 400s from Ranger Services....Im still under the 550 mark for the whole get up. Let me know what you think.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Looks much better rotating the outer pods. I wish the rear SM was flashing in/out Warn. And damn I'm so upset you can't run amber to the rear. That's ridiculous to me.

xx----xx

--xxxx--

Xx----xx

I would sell the dash light and got with a pair of LINZ6s or M4s for the front grill. Something linear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.