Fundraiser for Officer lost to PTSD memorial

tsquale

Site Minion
Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
www.youtube.com
This one is near and dear to me. April 17, 2023 I responded to one of my medically retired co-worker's suicide. Gary was one of the most dedicated public servants that our community has had, serving both as a police officer and on our volunteer fire department for many years. He attained PTSD in the line of duty due to some of the truly horrific scenes that he responded to.

Our agency is embarking on a fundraising drive to create a memorial in his memory. Currently financial donations are being solicited. We have created a beautiful suicide prevention and awareness version of our patch that will be released soon for purchase as a part of this fundraiser as well as options to "sponsor a cop" or buy a memorial brick. I will update this post with information on those items as soon as they go live. The official city page for this memorial is here: https://www.ci.zumbrota.mn.us/index.asp?SEC=616A715F-F2F8-4767-9FD6-F66075CC5E3A

Even if you are unable to donate, please consider sharing our agency's Facebook post to help spread the word:
www.facebook.com/zumbrotapolice/posts/pfbid07cTg6S1BTV79peCuie87hUvk3EySFMNjTLpM6qU5bKSt18wHbDfoUBov8nfMmvcHl

1723882712009.png

Last edited:
Here is some updated info:

As a part of our fundraising efforts for the memorial ZPD has created a special patch using the colors for Suicide Awareness and Prevention; teal and purple. Officers will proudly wear these patches on their uniforms in September, which is Suicide Prevention Awareness month. We are also selling these unique patches for $10 (or $11 if shipping is needed) with ALL PROCEEDS going towards the memorial fund. Nilssen's Zumbrota so kindly covered the cost of the patch order to make this possible; THANK YOU!
To order a patch, please follow this link: https://docs.google.com/.../1FAIpQLSftAcRhtDdv7O.../viewform
To make a monetary donation, follow this link: https://www.ci.zumbrota.mn.us/index.asp...
Donors who contribute $500 or more to the Gary Schroeder Jr. Memorial will be honored with a personalized 6"x9" engraved paver that will be prominently displayed at the memorial site. This paver will serve as a lasting tribute to their generosity and support, ensuring that their contribution is recognized and celebrated by all who visit the memorial. The engraved paver will feature the donor's name, along with a personal message or message of remembrance, creating a tangible and meaningful way for them to be a part of this important community initiative.
To make a donation for a paver, follow this link: https://docs.google.com/.../1FAIpQLScA6Bu8ef9hi4.../viewform
By investing in the memorial, these donors will play a crucial role in preserving the legacy of Gary Schroeder Jr. and ensuring that his memory and the impact he had on the community will be remembered for generations to come.

1723882787123.png

Last edited:
Hi all! I just wanted to bump this up to solicit additional attention to it. So far we have raised just over $15,000 of our $52,000 goal. Patches and Pavers are still available and and contribution is greatly appreciated!

If you're in the Biz, unfortunately its a fact of life. Some people still do not grasp the enormity of PTS in the .mil/.gov communities. Formal Programs to address PTS were non-existent when I started @ 22. I lost a good friend/Supv. to PTS at about my 7 year mark. He ate a bullet after morning briefing one day. He was also dealing with chronic residual pain of a LOD-GSW.

It made me mad that the Agency ignored the root cause and made no formal administrative changes at that time. That was the SOP and attitudes back in the day.

Luckily, today changes in the culture have changed for the better and internal programs are out there to deal with PTS. (Btw, for those unfamiliar with the topic, I leave out the "D in the acronym because its not a "Disorder"... Its the physical and mental manifestation of the stress that a person experiences from a traumatic event and every person and event is different)

Years later when programs were finally instituted I attended my first formal debriefing. It was an eye opener and helped to explain the "Why" and "How" of your mental processing of critical incidents/events. Once you understand the manifestations and learn different coping mechanisms life gets betetr. The Mind is an incredible work of a machine. Unfortunatey someone forgot to leave me a copy of a Field Manual for the Mind...lol

Found the Main-In Link.

Reactions: tsquale
Thank you for your service and the words of wisdom. I was one who responded to Gary's death and will forever carry that with me. I am extremely grateful for the services that our City provides to our agency now and firmly advocate for their use amongst my peers.

I saw you initially asked about a mail in donation and have since found the answer. For others, yes mail in donations are accepted and any offering is sincerely appreciated. Donations can be made directly through City Hall as cash, check (payable to: City of Zumbrota, 175 West Ave, Zumbrota, MN 55992 - Memo: Schroeder Memorial).

-Tony

Reactions: QUICKONE

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkdreamer3