Good Finds From Old Catalogs

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Skip Goulet said:
I may be mistaken, but I don't think that the P-series Pulsators came out until 1966 or '67.

Skip, not sure when the Pulsator was introduced but its in the 1963 catalog and shown as "new".

img242.jpg

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Mndlm said:
i remember back in the 60's when my step father would get the J.C. Whitney catalog in the mail and the first section I always looked up was the "Lights" section. Then building my '69 Jo-han Furies.

I did the exact same thing. Somehow, my parents info was "forwarded" and wound up on the JC Whitney database. When they tossed, I grabbed! They always had lots of rotating and/or flashing lights. It was too that bad I had an early firefighter's dreams but a 10 year-old's wallet!

Steve

Jun 4, 2012
New England
Mndlm said:
i remember back in the 60's when my step father would get the J.C. Whitney catalog in the mail and the first section I always looked up was the "Lights" section. Then building my '69 Jo-han Furies.

Are you sure you don't mean '68? I've never seen any model kits of the Fuselage-era cars, but it would be nice to have one.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Night Patrolman said:
Are you sure you don't mean '68? I've never seen any model kits of the Fuselage-era cars, but it would be nice to have one.

You're correct.... the Jo-Han kit was a 1968 Fury. There has never been a "commercially produced" (i.e. Revell, Monogram, AMT, IMC, Jo-Han, etc.) kit of the "fuselage-bodied" 4 door Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge pillared hard-top sedans either in civilian or police trim. Believe me, if there had been, I would've been making models of THIS (1969 Plymouth Fury I, Mass. State Police):

MSP 69 Fury.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
EL1998P71 said:
I've got a Darley Fire Catalog. But it is undated.
I think it's a 1975 catalog. Cause there are a bunch of 1776-1976 themed badges and things in it.

Any of those catalogs you got have any Civil Defense Sirens in it? My Fire Catalog does.

Darley has always featured the big sirens in their catalogs. You'd notice that they are all labelled as Darley Champions, but Darley never built them. Some were made by Alertor and some by Federal, but the ones they have now are all built by Sentry Sirens in Colorado.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:
Skip, not sure when the Pulsator was introduced but its in the 1963 catalog and shown as "new".

That's cool, Tim. I used to see the Federal catalogs when visiting my friend who worked in the city's parts dept. Didn't realize the Pulsators were quite that old. I used to see them on NYPD cars on TV and the movies, but didn't think they went that far back.

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
dmathieu said:
1960s Charles Greenblatt police equipment catalog #165
Do-Ray lights

Dan,

I have an amber unit like the one in the bottom picture along the page crease-the double-sided "lollipop" light, in the hammertone grey finish. It's NOS. What's THAT thing worth? THAT I'd be willing to sell... The lens is pretty cool as the outer ring has a reflector around the outside like a barricade light.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Skip Goulet said:
That's cool, Tim. I used to see the Federal catalogs when visiting my friend who worked in the city's parts dept. Didn't realize the Pulsators were quite that old. I used to see them on NYPD cars on TV and the movies, but didn't think they went that far back.

1963(?) to 1972

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
hyperjohnny said:
Dan,
I have an amber unit like the one in the bottom picture along the page crease-the double-sided "lollipop" light, in the hammertone grey finish. It's NOS. What's THAT thing worth? THAT I'd be willing to sell... The lens is pretty cool as the outer ring has a reflector around the outside like a barricade light.

Whose lollipop light is it? With the hammertone finish, it sounds like an early DoRay. Their later models with the chrome finish and reflex lenses sold for about $30 before they went out of business.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
According to Bruno's website, the P660 chrome roof mounted version was used on RMP's from 1964-1972. An underhood Pulsator version of the 28 (model P280) was used on unmarked cars in 1963. NYPD trivia. By the way, the author of the 9 year old posting you replied to above, has sadly passed away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.