Help identifying siren...

Tomhae

Apr 22, 2012
Roseville, CA
Cool thank you sir! It is definitely "no frills" in appearance. The owner may want to sell, I will pass on any offers anybody wants to throw out.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
This siren looks like a B&M Siro-Drift Model S8B, S8 being the model number, and B standing for the brake (the large coil on the back). It also looks like somebody removed the finger guards in the slots, where there are little holes, 4 per slot. These sirens are known for having a very rich, old-school tone to them. One can also send them to B&M Sirens to have them restored professionally! I'd jump on this, I think it will clean up very nicely.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Yes, it is a B&M S8B Siro-Drift.
In my opinion one of the best sounding sirens there is.
The quality is also very high as all B&M sirens are. They will last "forever".
I have it in my collection of electro- mechanical sirens and the S8B Siro-Drift and SC8B Super-Chief are the ones that I prefer over any other make.

http://www.siro-driftsirens.com/

Michael

Tomhae

Apr 22, 2012
Roseville, CA
Thank you everyone for the expertise. I'm not sure if he wants to put it on Ebay or he might want to have me list it on the for sale section here. What would be a good price for this one. I am told it is very loud and the brake works.

I got mine off the fender of a WWII Dodge M6 converted to a Civil Defence vehicle in the mid '50s. Cleaned and tested, it still worked! Contacted B&M and the S/N (stamped on the motor housing next to the stator housing) placed it sold to a local company in 1957.
IMG_0174.JPG
Sent it to Kevin O'Connell at B&M...a few weeks and $350 later, he sent this back to me.
IMG_0684.JPG
The base is not correct for the S8 and it's been heated to twist the foot a few degrees, but a new correct foot would cost almost as much as the restore!

Check out the prices of a new S8 and I think you will agree it is well worth the cost to restore.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.