I am back, with this new toy!

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Hoser said:
Very Interesting would like to see some closer photo's of the lights. I to would be willing to test some out for you.

Thx! Will get more photos when I decided the final design for lamps. The lamps you see in this pic are my earlier designs.

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
The inner voltage is 24V DC, and can be connected to 100~240V AC or external 24V battery case.

Without AC power connection, you can still use this light at about 8000 Lumens for 3.5 hours (4 Lamps at Max with standard battery config.)

Matt C.

May 24, 2010
Covington, Ky
For use in the US, I would suggest 12 volt version. This would facilitate vehicle mounting applications. Also, a small electric telescoping tower or mast that could be operated by wired, IR, or radio remote control.

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
+1 would love to test them out in a field situation at my agency...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
same here

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Thank you all people. We have good progress on the sample production.

The samples will be sent out soon, in 1 or 2 weeks.

You will find it easy to carry, to install and to use.

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Hi all.

I will send out the first sample to our fellow member Solvarex tomorrow.

And will send more day by day.

One question:

Who will be OK to receive and test them in thanksgiving holidays? The samples will be sent to you priorly.

Thank you all very much!

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
I will be able to test during the Holiday's. When off of work, I have more time to do stuff like this. My back yard is completely dark at night, no other lighting around. Can test the night that it comes in technically. Would love to test this product for you.

Jordan,TCFD

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'd be willing to test 'em. I work in a Park system, and we often have incidents in the woods & such with no available lighting. We work with generators & floodlights.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I would like to test them. I have a fleet of police cars and Emergency managment vehicles.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
And if you want the testing to also take place in Canada, I would love to test one out for you. No issue with Thanksgiving holidays here, as we celebrated Thanksgiving last month. I'm Canadian Forces Military Police, and my area includes a lot of unlit areas.

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
No problem testing them here, and working third shift makes it prime time! lol!!!

blackcherryxj

Jan 1, 2011
Western Kentucky, USA
I work EMS/Fire/Rescue/and Emergency Management. Alot of my work is in the country with no lighting. I can defiantly try these out, as one of the main functions I work with is providing additional specialty lighting at scenes. We have portable light plants that we use, as well as numberous generator/light stand combos that we use and provide at anything from fire scenes to vehicle wrecks to crime scenes to death investigations. I could defiantly provide some good real world feedback and testing, as part of my compound is somewhere around 30 acres of open fields surrounded by trees.

Thanks,

Paul

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Haven't been to the office yet to check it out but the office staff have confirmed its arrival. Looks like the light unit is out of customs and should be here early this week, if Canada Post is to be believed. Review to follow!

kkets323

Oct 6, 2011
NY
Good afternoon. Im knew to this forum. My fire department is now part of a haz mat task force that covers a vast majority of Nassau County Long Island NY. I would love to get some more info on this and maybe even try them out. PM me if you have any questions.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
It's here! I'm not in the office but my GM opened it and texted me. Now bear in mind she's not really into this kind of stuff, but her words were "I'm really impressed!" so it's gotta be good! Now I'm anxious to get down there and see it! Should have pics and first impressions tonight.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Well, we have it. This unit is NICE.

The main system is housed in a Pelican-style suitcase-sized case with wheels, about 21" x 18" x 8". It has double throw latches for easy opening and handles on three sides for carrying and stowing/removing in just about any position. A retractable plastic handle is integrated with it to pull the unit along without carrying it. Nameplate, purge valve, and rubber seal are standard. Total weight of the packaged unit is 34.5 lbs with all lamps, masts, chargers, and the battery.

On the outside of the case are several connectors, switches, and mounting points for the lights. The four mounting studs are approximately 1" diameter solid aluminum and about 1.5" high, mounted to the top of the case. The base of each stud is an aluminum flange within the case about 3/16" thick and held in place by four hex screws. These things are SOLID and provide the foundation for placement of the lightheads.

The side of the case features four sockets with potentiometers for connecting the lightheads. Each socket is protected by its own captive screw-off cap with a rubber seal for weather protection. The sockets and mating plugs on the lightheads are splined so they will only plug in one way. The pots above the sockets permit for the dimming of the lamps to reach a desired intensity; you don't necessarily need full power all of the time. Beneath the sockets is the large power switch which activates all four lamps, along with an LED indicator which presumably indicates battery strength. Towards the bottom are two more sockets, a two-prong and a three prong which facilitate the AC adapter and charger respectively.

Opening the unit reveals the substantial circuit board, wiring, and battery. The battery is a behemoth of a unit that is held securely in place with velcro on two sides. It is 24 volt, 10 Ah with a Li-Fe chemistry, which provides a huge safety margin over traditional Li-ion or Li-Po batteries. There is a small strap included to help tie the battery down but seriously, it's not necessary. Just one patch of velcro holds it in so securely that when I tried to take it out, I couldn't! Gotta try harder next time. The circuit board contains the driver circuitry and connection points for the wiring to the case and battery, all beautifully loomed and very professional. It uses PC-type standoffs to secure itself to the case which is one weak point on this system. During shipping someone must've not been especially careful and dropped the parcel, which caused one of the standoffs to shear and allow the circuit board to loosen up. Fortunately it is held in place with two more standoffs and the foam in the case and won't be going anywhere, but I believe this part could use a revisit by the engineering team.

Continued...

Last edited by a moderator:

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
On to the lightheads!

The case contains four aluminum telescopic masts, each about 12" long. The sections are held captive within each other and are clamped/released with plastic throw levers, much like a camera tripod's legs. Extended length is just over 55" from end to end. The bottom lever secures the mast to the aluminum stud on the case, while the top lever permits the mounting of the lighthead.

Also within the case are four LED lightheads. We received two flood and two spot. The aluminum bodied lightheads each contain four LEDs with TIR style optics. The spot head is clear in front of each diode while the flood has a textured diffuser over each diode. The face of the lamp is protected by glass. The housing itself is roughly 3" square in dimension but has a rounded profile when viewed from the front. The back of the lamp assembly has a large aluminum heatsink with an individual square-post design. The main housing surrounds this with additional slots cut for heat dissipation. The top of the lamp features a polymer handle used to aim the beam while the bottom contains the mount for the mast. The mount is an aluminum swivel ball (again, like a camera) held tightly with a wingnut set screw, and a 0.5" diameter by 1" long aluminum stud with which to mate with the telescopic mast. Power is provided with a heavy duty, rubberized, coil cord with screw-on plug to match the one on the case. Entry to the lighthead is done with a solid plastic base which the cord passes through, and is tightened down with a concentric nut that passes over it and tensions around the cable 360 degrees.

The unit also came with two external power devices, the AC adapter which allows use of 100-240VAC to power the unit and comes with a standard North American NEMA 1-15 style plug hardwired to the unit, and the Li-ion charger which has a Europlug input cord that is detachable. The charger also claims to accept 100-240VAC input and the AC connection is a standard two-prong input which can be sourced locally.

Now since I'm writing this in the daytime I can't really give a good comparison for brightness yet, but we fired it up in the shop and....DAMN.

For a prototype this is one slick unit. We want to keep this one and buy more but it will really depend on the price. Regardless, I'm adding one to my personal crew kit, no question. This sure beats hauling a generator, extension cords, gasoline, and halogen floodlights around! Granted LED technology might not quite be up to producing the same volume of light as a 500W halogen when viewed from a practical price perspective, but the convenience and versatility of this unit far and away exceeds using a halogen setup.

Pics soon!

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
The reveal! Forgive the iPhone pics but it really takes better stills than my Pentax, and my girlfriend is too protective of her 40D to let me borrow it. :(

The whole package.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3182.jpg

Mounting studs for the telescopic masts, with the drag handle extended.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3187.jpg

Wheels and drag handle are detachable for repair/replacement, or mission specific applications where they may not be required.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3189.jpg

Sockets, pots, and switch.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3184.jpg

Another view.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3205.jpg

Interior view. The large blue brick is the Li-Fe battery.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3190.jpg

Circuit board with loomed wiring and professionally assembled components.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3221.jpg

Excellent heat shrinking and soldering.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3223.jpg

The unfortunate sheared standoff. From what the office staff tells me, Zheng packaged this thing like a tank! Guess Canada Post can find a way to bust anything! :mad:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3217.jpg

Inside view of the plate securing the mast stud. Solid!

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3225.jpg

Another view.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3227.jpg

Lightheads, spot on left, flood on right.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3193.jpg

Heatsinking displayed.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3195.jpg

Side view.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3196.jpg

Weather/dust resistant connector.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3199.jpg

Telescopic mast.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3201.jpg

One mast mounted to unit.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3203.jpg

Mast with one lighthead mounted and connected.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3207.jpg

All four lightheads mounted and connected.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3208.jpg

Yeah, it's bright.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3212.jpg

HDR shot which de-saturated the photo a bit.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3213.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.