I am back, with this new toy!

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I've had a chance to play with this thing in the dark now. I am seriously impressed.

One lighthead has the capability of lighting up several thousand square feet easily. I mounted one flood and one spot and it lit up my dark backyard enough so that I could easily read a book or perform any sort of work. My father is building a shop in his backyard so I took it over there. Normally we have a pair of 500 watt halogen floodlights and the house-mounted motion lights, a pair of 150 watt PARs. This thing with two heads would easily be enough light for us to work comfortably with a little auxilliary spot lighting such as head lamps.

The spot beam provides a very uniform round beam that is good for more concentrated light on a particular area. The flood provides slightly less intensity, but only just. The dispersion seemed to be a little more vertical which gave a spread of useful light right from the base of the unit. Color is a warm, very slightly off-white, with a yellowish tinge which is pleasing to look at. I'd find it difficult to characterize on a temperature scale but I'd say close to 4000K. I expect this particular color temperature will cause less eye fatigue and an easier transition from a lit area to darkness, with softer shadows than other colder LED or HID lighting.

I'll try to get some comparisons done soon alongside other lighting products. Hope everyone's enjoyed the review so far, and a BIG THANKS to Zheng who so willingly and quickly provided the unit for review!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Forgot this:

The whole weight for this 4 lamps unit is about 16.5 kg (36 lbs.)

36 lbs. (twice brighter than Pelican 9460) V.S. 50.71 lbs. (Pelican 9460)!

I am quite proud of that.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
not to sound critical, but how does the unit do while in use as far as stability is concerned? I was wondering if it could be used outside, for like scene lighting, is it top heavy? I know it wouldn't be used in gale force winds of a hurricane.. but if you had it outside would a breeze blow it over? once again, the light looks quality, just wondering if any thought was put into it as an exterior tool.

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Shawn L said:
not to sound critical, but how does the unit do while in use as far as stability is concerned? I was wondering if it could be used outside, for like scene lighting, is it top heavy? I know it wouldn't be used in gale force winds of a hurricane.. but if you had it outside would a breeze blow it over? once again, the light looks quality, just wondering if any thought was put into it as an exterior tool.

Hi, Shawn. Yes, I have that question too.

I did many works for that, but I didn't met a real bad weather here.

Even no snow in Beijing so far.

Hi, Solvarex. Any heavy snow there?

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Are you kidding me? This is Canada! We ARE the land of ice and snow.

The weather this week looks mild but I'll see about getting it into a few gusts and inclement weather. The unit is designed to be base heavy with the battery so it's reasonably stable. It may not be the best idea to put the masts at full extension in a 60 km/h windstorm however. I've also determined it's possible to easily carry the unit with the masts on AND extended provided you do it in a specific fashion.

Zheng, I'll email you later this week with some ideas.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I'd recommend having some tripods and extension wires available as accessories...It's a nice setup, but that way it's kinda useless for a crime scene in a house without electricity.

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
BigWil said:
I'd recommend having some tripods and extension wires available as accessories...It's a nice setup, but that way it's kinda useless for a crime scene in a house without electricity.

Hi, You are right. We are able to get adapter for tripod in that case. We don't use tripod as default config just because it's too heavy.

Any user can choose the length of wires too. Why not if you can find me directly. LOL.

Another way to use them: attach 2 lamps together with one handle. You can get an ultra bright hand held tool. of course you can also put them in a tripod.

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
BigWil said:

By the way, do you need special lamps in your work?

Such as IR, UV or some GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW and so on.

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
ohhh, think of the IR illumination you could provide with that....

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I can't think of any use for most of the colours, except IR.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I don't personally use IR much, but IR would be used in conjunction with night vision equipment. The IR lights could be marketed towards military use (and the use of the pelican case goes a long way towards making it mil-spec for toughness)and for surveillance use. Many military vehicles use a 24v electrical system, so adapting these lights into IR headlamps might be worth looking into as well. You could even market it towards security firms who use IR/night vision for movie screenings looking for video cameras and such. Another use would be to light up an area for a helicopter landing zone for air ambulances. Most of the pilots use night vision for flight.

May 22, 2010
New York City
so my sample arrived today........ its only 2 heads........ 1 spot , 1 flood........... i would love to test it out.......but the batteries didnt arrive yet !!!

but it does look promising........ it looks to be well constructed.....

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
911 said:
so my sample arrived today........ its only 2 heads........ 1 spot , 1 flood........... i would love to test it out.......but the batteries didnt arrive yet !!!

but it does look promising........ it looks to be well constructed.....

hi! the battery will arrive in 3 days.

i hope you will find it helpful.

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Hi. I don't know whether it's allowed by the rules of this sub-forum - I want to talk about a few things about business - If it's not OK, please let me know to delete this post.

Some members here discussed about their purchasing budget with me, and I found it might be a problem at the end of a year. But I believe you must want one set of this.

I hope to help members here improving their working condition as much as I can. So I got this idea:

If you can persuade your department to order lighting tools from us, I will try to get a divided payments plan. So that you can divide the budget between 2011 and 2012.

Any idea?

Yours, Zheng

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
For members who has a very limited budget, we also developed a single lamp version, with all features in a standard kit except for the wheels.

But even lighter, and cheaper.

message me about your needs, and let's see whether we can get a Christmas gift for you.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
That's a cool idea. I would recommend the flood lamp in a single head, it would provide some pretty serious light.

I still plan to have some comparison pics done soon, just been too busy! Stay tuned.

May 22, 2010
New York City
ok, got my batteries finally today......... by thursday i will do some testing and see how this baby performs...........

it looks to be built solid......... what i was wondering from people what do you think a fair retail price is on this item? what would you want to pay ? (seriously)

May 22, 2010
New York City
so, i got my unit complete....... i took some pics and will have a review shortly....... according to my dealer pricing, i would say retail should be around $1,700 - $2,000 for a 4 head unit.....

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Some updates. We took this unit out for New Years and set it up for teardown. Had an issue with the battery that Zheng and I are working on right now so I ran it with the AC adapter off a small inverter in the truck.

The following pics are two flood beams only, one pointing at the trailer and the other towards the firing site. My iPhone camera doesn't do it justice but then most cameras won't. Conditions were poor although it wasn't especially cold, only -12C. Winds were gusting up to 50km/h and snow was blowing in off the lake, in addition to a light dusting of about 10mm precipitation. The unit was very stable with both masts fully erected and threw enough light for almost the entire ramp to be illuminated. The chief of the VFD, having seen the unit in action, was impressed enough to state that he'd buy one for the department.

Photos are not touched up or enhanced aside from HDR on the camera. This is actual performance.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3354.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3356.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3358.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3360.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3361.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3363.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_3365.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_th_IMG_3369.jpg

May 22, 2010
New York City
Zheng Liyue said:
We have a sample in NY. Anyone one there want to test it?

YES, its a great light, we tested it out and its great, just a hard sell right now due to the pricing and economy ......... now we want to pass it on to another local user........

NYC area........ contact zheng and he will let me know who to give it to !!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.