I am now a FIRE CHIEF... PICTURES & VIDEO added! take a look...

Donslock said:
This is something to consider, The engine in the suburban is more than likely a 5.7 liter engine, To have it replaced would take about $4000 to $5000. You can replace that truck with a newer truck for the same amount of money. The same for the brush truck. About $12000 to $15000 for that one. I would just rebuild the engine in that one because you can not beat a 6X6 for brush truck or tanker. Don Myhre

$4-5000 for a 5.7L???? Where are you buying your motors at??

As far as using ether, that can be very dangerous. On the CUCV brush truck, i would replace the glow plugs. We have the exact truck at my dept., and it starts on the coldest nights with no problem. But even on the hottest summer days. you have to let the glow plugs cycle completly or it wont start. I have found out that the key to those old 6.2L diesels is keeping a clean air filter in them.

Does the Suburban have a gas or diesel engine? If it is gas, and you are having to use ether then there is probably a simple fix to it.

Ether is very dangerous to use. If i had to use a starting assistant, i would use WD40. It offers far better lubrication than ether. Too much ether will blow an engine/

CenTexPSE said:
$4-5000 for a 5.7L???? Where are you buying your motors at??

As far as using ether, that can be very dangerous. On the CUCV brush truck, i would replace the glow plugs. We have the exact truck at my dept., and it starts on the coldest nights with no problem. But even on the hottest summer days. you have to let the glow plugs cycle completly or it wont start. I have found out that the key to those old 6.2L diesels is keeping a clean air filter in them.

Does the Suburban have a gas or diesel engine? If it is gas, and you are having to use ether then there is probably a simple fix to it.

Ether is very dangerous to use. If i had to use a starting assistant, i would use WD40. It offers far better lubrication than ether. Too much ether will blow an engine/

both a diesel and have glow plugs... took both trucks to two different mechanics and they said they couldnt get the glow plugs out.

NYC DCAS Home Page

this site has the fdny fire trucks auction on it, there are a few here. I dont know who you would call to see about donating trucks but if you contact them they might be able to lead you in the right direction. Also PM me with your contact info, I might be able to see about getting you some equipment.

fireman616wfd said:
both a diesel and have glow plugs... took both trucks to two different mechanics and they said they couldnt get the glow plugs out.

The automatic glow plug system in the CUCV's is a POS. Replace it with a manual push button system and you'll have far less problems with it. Just make sure your guys know to use it each time they want to start it, even in the summer, and to only hold it down for 12-15 seconds. Also, check the starter bolts. For problems with the CUCV, try looking up your state/area's chapter of the MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association). Their members will probably be able to help. Also, the website steel soldiers (Steel Soldiers) has a ton of info on their forums, plus manuals and technical articles.

Good Afternoon....

Another option you could look at is local high school or college auto body or auto mecanic programs to see if they can repair or refurb your engine and rescue at little or no cost or you could also look into the prison system in Mississippi to see if they have a inmate labor program to repair the engine and rescue.

We did something similar at my department where we sent our light rescue to the local prison and the inmates in the auto body and auto mechanic program rebuilt the engine, gave it a new paint job, and replaced all the warning lights for very little cost

As far as mounting your Rescue tools..how about mounting all the tools on a slide out tray in the suburban so that way it will be close to the ground

fireman616wfd said:

Eff that. If both have the plugs rusted into the heads then you've got bigger problems than you think. My guess is the shop didn't care and didn't try.

Depending on the mileage on them, I'd say your best bet is to replace the glowplug controller card on the firewall and start there. Someone else suggested using a push-button, a good idea, if you can get your guys to remember to do it. You will destroy the motor in those if you keep using ether to start it every time.

FWIW, that CUCV brush truck will serve you well with proper maintenance. Looks like your skid unit may be a tad small but I don't know all that much about them. However, stick with that truck for your grass rig and focus on a better EMS rig than that old 2wd 'burban.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNConstable