I let the horn do the talking this time...

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Yep... looks familiar.

:)

It's times like that, especially when there are others around, that I like to get on the PA and calmly say:

"Pull to the RIGHT... and STOP"

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Zack said:
Yep... looks familiar.

:)

It's times like that, especially when there are others around, that I like to get on the PA and calmly say:

"Pull to the RIGHT... and STOP"

Actually, some old skool, bad attitude cops I used to work with used to get on the PA and say, "Hey dumb ass, move over"

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I keep getting an error message when I try to play it.

zsiya

May 22, 2010
AL
What about all that room to the right of the car? Plus, if you left some room between vehicles, you could have gone around even after they had stopped. Think of the stuipdest thing they can do and plan for it.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
DMV says pull to the right for emergency vehicles, and I never pass on the right while responding. I think a push bumper would work great or get yourself a hummer and tap them to get them to move over like they do over seas, either one is a great idea. Just saying.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yeah, I just love the guy making the left hand turn and did not want to get out of your way. I see people doing that crap all the time. When an emergency vehicle is coming up behind me, I get as far to the right as I can and come to a stop until they pass. I've actually had other drivers behind me pull out and pass me or lay on the horn when I do this. I used to think people were just stupid, but my wife nailed it. She said they are selfish and too self-centered to do the right thing and get out of the way of emergency vehicles.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
zsiya said:
What about all that room to the right of the car? Plus, if you left some room between vehicles, you could have gone around even after they had stopped. Think of the stuipdest thing they can do and plan for it.

Very valid observation....

Why stubbornly try to make this petrified driver move to the right when there is ample room to get around ???...

Well, being a proponent of "Run silent, run fast", to me it defeats the purpose of emergency response to get stuck behind a motorist like that and get frustrated over you horn...

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Emergency vehicles are supposed to pass on the left. What if the emergency vehicle went to pass on the right, then the guy finally decided to move to the right and side-swiped him.. Even if he did pass on the right, you don't want that guy turning left thinking that is the OK thing to do. He needs to know for future references to move right.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
tom said:
Emergency vehicles are supposed to pass on the left. What if the emergency vehicle went to pass on the right, then the guy finally decided to move to the right and side-swiped him.. Even if he did pass on the right, you don't want that guy turning left thinking that is the OK thing to do. He needs to know for future references to move right.

Not only that, but all the other drivers and pedestrians on the road around the situation are (suposed to) be expecting the "Pull to the right and stop."

If as an emergency vehicle you start to go left sometimes, and right sometimes, etc... you only present confusion and a potential for more accidents in the future.

Be consistant in your emergency driving (when possible) and make others follow the law.

$0.02

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
tom said:

I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but if you have lights and/or siren running, and you 10-50 it's automatically your fault. I know MO and a couple other states are like that. But people are such f'ing tards that they can't figure out to move to right.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
car54 said:
DMV says pull to the right for emergency vehicles, and I never pass on the right while responding. I think a push bumper would work great or get yourself a hummer and tap them to get them to move over like they do over seas, either one is a great idea. Just saying.

So you would never pass on the right, but you would be willing to use a push bumper to get them out of the way?

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
Do you record all your 27 runs? Not a bad idea for liability purposes.

What kind of camera are you using, it's pretty good quality.

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
It almost looks to me like that person knowingly, purposely inhibited you from proceeding to a Medical? Fire? emergency. I believe there is some law about that and it is illegal. That or she just got so overwhelmed and had no idea what to do so she just stopped completely.

firefightin6

Jun 9, 2011
USA, East Coast
IMO, It looked to me like the guy/girl was intentionally being defiant! There's no way that person is that freakin stupid.

iCrash

Aug 11, 2010
New Jersey
That person appears to have wanted to use the left turn lane and expected you to pass on the right. They were too lazy to move all the way to the right and then all the way back to the left to make their turn.

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
MeefZah said:

It is, although if he does, he needs to fix the date. Wrong dates never look good in court.

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
I always pass on the left. Never to the right. I was responding to the FD for a wreck and a stupid trailer trucker pulled out in front of me. He stopped so I could go around but, the problem was he stopped taking up both southbound lanes and turning lane. He was motioning me to go into the northbound lanes. I just sat there and hit my horn. He never moved. Trooper was also responding to the wreck and he pulled up behind me. Tractor trailer then Finally moved out of the way and started to head north bound. I looked and the trooper done turned around and was going after him.

Trisdisp57

Jun 4, 2011
Long Island, NY
I really hope that video isnt a staged response, makes me question with the person at the beginning video taping it (to the left of the screen.) Back to the subject people are just ignorant and stupid what they are doing is way more important than moving over for emergency vehicles. But atleast I am happy that its not only in NY that this problem exists. Hell, I thought that this was only a NY problem... lol

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
MeefZah said:

I try to record what i can. Im using the Fire Helmet Cam dash cam. records in HD, and i have a 16GB memory card inserted. Cam shuts off automatically after 15 minutes if i forget to turn it off. Operation is simple. Push the on button, it starts recording automatically. Push the off button and it shuts off the camera. Nice and slim, stays out of your way, plus it has a flip down screen for any reviewing or what not.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Trisdisp57 said:
I really hope that video isnt a staged response, makes me question with the person at the beginning video taping it (to the left of the screen.) Back to the subject people are just ignorant and stupid what they are doing is way more important than moving over for emergency vehicles. But atleast I am happy that its not only in NY that this problem exists. Hell, I thought that this was only a NY problem... lol

Not at all a staged response. I would never risk the lives of ANYONE by running code 3 w/out a reason. That person was a friend of mine, and an amateur videographer, who takes videos whenever he can of any emergency vehicles. He's currently getting ready to enter fire/emt school.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Thats why it was bad ass when i was a Vol FF because i am a cop aswell and when i would encounter this retardation i would just disregard the fire call and pull them over and have them explain to me why its so difficult to move out of the fucken way for my red and blue lights and siren and also to check for valid drivers license and insurance.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
tom said:

Yeah.. what if what if...

I still say it's pretty stupid to stand for minutes behind that stopped car with horn blaring when there is ample room to pass on the right, and hardly any traffic around. This guy just want to be right and forgets the purpose of his running code.

Well, assuming there was a purpose in the first place beyond shooting a vid.

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
TheGatekeeper said:
I still say it's pretty stupid to stand for minutes behind that stopped car with horn blaring when there is ample room to pass on the right, and hardly any traffic around. This guy just want to be right and forgets the purpose of his running code.

I never pass on the right because I'm not allowed to. The dept policy is very clear, and it's there because people have been hit passing on the right.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
TheGatekeeper said:

There WAS a valid reason for the response. If you listen towards the beginning of the video when im on the side street, you can hear the primary squad calling enroute on the radio. I, as well as 2 others, were responding to the station to take the transport vehicle. Thats how we run calls around here. There has never been any kind of "staged" response just for me to videotape it.

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
calebsheltonmed23 said:
I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but if you have lights and/or siren running, and you 10-50 it's automatically your fault. I know MO and a couple other states are like that. But people are such f'ing tards that they can't figure out to move to right.

I'd be surprised if it's like that anywhere.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
TheGatekeeper said:

If there is a dept policy in place that says pass on the left, and you pass on the right and something happens, it's your ass. No judge or jury will care that Joe the Jack Ass Plumber wouldn't move to the right so you went to right. I say it's pretty stupid to intentionally waver from policies and state laws because you are too impatient.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Bigassfireman said:
If there is a dept policy in place that says pass on the left, and you pass on the right and something happens, it's your ass. No judge or jury will care that Joe the Jack Ass Plumber wouldn't move to the right so you went to right. I say it's pretty stupid to intentionally waver from policies and state laws because you are too impatient.

Along these lines, if the respective state laws stipulate that a driver must "pull to the right and stop" then:

1) I shouldn't expect them to do anything else, and

2) I shouldn't force them to do something else.

(Of course, there are *always* special and rare circumstances blah blah blah... but as a general rule)

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Bigassfireman said:

Its state law for vehicles to pull to the RIGHT and STOP. Therefore, if we pass on the RIGHT, and they pull to the RIGHT, and there is an accident, its OUR FAULT!!!

Why is it such a foreign concept to people to do what the law says, especially COPS!!! Lights and a siren, doesnt give you a free for all to do whatever you want. If youre supposed to pass on the left, then pass on the left. Our state revised code, requires, lemme say that again... REQUIRES a siren to be on WITH lights while traveling on the road to a call. No if's, and's or but's about it. Its even in our department SOP's. When your lights are on, your siren MUST be on while traveling on the road! And dont even try to nitpick about "well what about 4am on residential", cause that wont get you anywhere. Ive had complaints against me using the siren, during the day, and the person filing the complaint was told, "He's responding to emergencys in compliance with state law, and department SOP's" I was given a speaking too, told the story, so i offered to wait to turn on my lights and siren past this persons house, which is hard to do, due to the fact that this house is at an intersection, that people routinely blow through the stop signs, so yeah, kinda hard to do.

Back to the video, i was NOT going to the right, or even going to attempt it, because i had a feeling that this lady would suddenly pull to the right. I would of had more room to the left, but the white car in the oncoming center lane, decided to stop right next to me, giving me like 3 feet of room, which is why i was so close to the car in front of me. I had room to go around the car in front of me, but the car to my left was preventing me from doing that. So i waited for that car to go, before i went left, which just happened to be the same time the car in front of me decided to pull forward.

I dont care if i get criticism on the response, im always open to ideas, or suggestions, but making an asinine comment about passing on the right can be saved, or shoved somewhere. Dont tell me to break laws, "just because it looked clear".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killgolden

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.