Installers... What technique do you use?

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
PursuitElectronics said:
Hey Jared....Well done. Looks great! Similar to what I use, but locally here in Tampa, I use AAMP Of America for all of our wiring, solenoids, relays, loom, etc. I also use the Install Bay out of Daytona Beach. However, like alot of Upfitters, I wont ever use the existing wiring from the factory. Since we do various agencies and all of them are wanting the same things, I will mount a fuse panel on the inside of the Havis console for most applications, since there are more than enough locations for both - and + in that panel. Additionally, we have a jig upstairs that we make all of our own harnesses. With the harnesses, I also run the strobe leads and whatever else I need so when I drill my hole in the firewall, its already loomed, taped tight and each color represents each component going into the vehicle....dash - purple, strobes - yellow, rear deck - green, etc! That way, all they need to do is find the colors if or should something happen!

Wire color consistency is a must! I haven't built a harness jig yet, but as soon as I have more space it will get done. Thanks for the praise.

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
PursuitElectronics said:
Hey Jared....Well done. Looks great! Similar to what I use, but locally here in Tampa, I use AAMP Of America for all of our wiring, solenoids, relays, loom, etc. I also use the Install Bay out of Daytona Beach. However, like alot of Upfitters, I wont ever use the existing wiring from the factory. Since we do various agencies and all of them are wanting the same things, I will mount a fuse panel on the inside of the Havis console for most applications, since there are more than enough locations for both - and + in that panel. Additionally, we have a jig upstairs that we make all of our own harnesses. With the harnesses, I also run the strobe leads and whatever else I need so when I drill my hole in the firewall, its already loomed, taped tight and each color represents each component going into the vehicle....dash - purple, strobes - yellow, rear deck - green, etc! That way, all they need to do is find the colors if or should something happen!

Can we see pictures of the harness jig?

Do you use the same jig for every install or do you have different ones for different types of vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs)?

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
WNYEVS said:

Do you use the same jig for every install or do you have different ones for different types of vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs)?

I would also like to see the jig.

The ones I've seen in past were plywood with screws to route around and the screw placement for routing varied per vehicle.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
WNYEVS said:

+2, sounds very cool

remote_medic

May 21, 2010
Maine, USA
where are you guys buing your terminals? I bought some at autozone and they are crap!!

Learning a lot watching some of these...I'd be embarresed to show my "work"...but at least all my stuff is fused!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
Waytek, Del City, Terminal Supply Company just to name a few.

I use Waytek for most supplies. Make sure to use NYLON insulated connectors like these:

http://order.waytekwire.com/products2/M50/320/200/400/1/Butt%20Connector%20Insulated%20Nylon/Butt%20Connectors/Terminals%20And%20Connectors/

http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/30713/FEMALE%20PUSH%20ON%20.250%20TAB%20RED/

On the second link notice the extra sleeve that allows the connector to be crimped to the insulation as well as the stripped wire.

You're right, the connectors at most retail shops are junk. Regarding your installs, at least you know you have some learning to do. We all started somewhere and continuing to be critical of ones self yields more learning and a better product.

ani216

Jan 8, 2011
Florida, USA
Heres a question

Everyone is saying to measure your load..how exactly are you doing that? like if i have a strobe box with a 20 amp fuse and it says to use a 16 AWG wire..does that mean my fuse box needs to be 20amp but with a 14awg wire? im sorry...im new to this and want to learn as much as i can so i do not make a mistake or put my life or anyone elses in danger. :)

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Fuses 101:

Fuses are mainly to protect the circuit (wiring) not the load (component).

Fusing should be done at 1.25x (some installers go higher, at 1.5x. Either way, always round-up) required amperage...example: load requires 10 amps, 10x1.25=12.5, go with 15a fuse.

Fuse should be as close as possible to power source (within inches).

As fusing is to protect wire, ensure wire is rated for 135% of fuse rating.

Use 80% of fuse rating to determine max steady state load to reduce nuiscance failures...example, 100amp fuse-protected circuit in trunk of Ford CVPI should be used power no more than 80amps.

Buy fuses in bulk at a great price from WayTek Wire.

Never replace properly-sized blown fuse with higher rater fuse.

If you smell electrical/wiring heating up or smoking, you're doing it wrong.

Circuit breakers and fuses are not the same thing, are not completely interchangeable, and serve similar but different purposes. While breakers have their uses in warning system wiring, primarily as a power distribution method, they should not be used as sole source of circuit protection. Manual reset/trip breakers are, IMO, the only variety to consider.

ani216

Jan 8, 2011
Florida, USA
Appreciate the information very much..And C2Installs, how about some more pics? i think everyones looking forward to see more installation pictures

DMCGONAGIL

Feb 5, 2012
WI
Any pictures of schematics you guys might have drawn up or pics from inside the engine compartment for what you did there?

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
iceman4122 said:
Do you need a power distribution center like the ones pictured if your running everything to some thing like a smart siren that has fuses already inside of it?

The difference between a power distribution center and the Smart Siren that has fuses, one supplies power, the other supplies outputs to the lights with the controller.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.