Instlr60's Vintage collection and workshop

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Skip Goulet said:
Beacon Rays in Wisconsin? I figured they'd all freeze up there! :p

INSTLR60 said:
jeff,

please let me know, if any of the switches go bad on that switchbox, ill sent you out a couple of new switches, ok ? Thank you for the compliments, also. Im glad you enjoyed looking at the shop, and looking forward in seeing you again !! :) Right now, im going to finish fixing ex416 's magnabeam, and pull some lenses for an order from facebook I've gotten. Talk to you later....

I will let you know Rick. I tested it last night and everything seems to function properly. Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Jeff

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
delcofirecop said:
A lot of good old true radios in that room spot some micors and maxars and a lot more

Those are just some, that I keep in the radio room, for those people that are looking for those small parts and pieces that are harder to find nowadays...lol:D

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jradue said:
Climate change Skip, climate change. :D

The only climate changes I've ever seen in WI are from cold to colder. Had the chance to go to school in Milwaukee years ago and turned it down because of the cold. I'm a warm-weather West Texas guy, you know! :yes:

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Skip Goulet said:
The only climate changes I've ever seen in WI are from cold to colder. Had the chance to go to school in Milwaukee years ago and turned it down because of the cold. I'm a warm-weather West Texas guy, you know! :yes:

Well it can get cold here, but I remember hanging Christmas lights one year in a tee shirt because it was 60° in December!!!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jradue said:
Well it can get cold here, but I remember hanging Christmas lights one year in a tee shirt because it was 60° in December!!!

I've only seen a White Christmas once or twice here, but when I lived in Lubbock, it was quite common....and I loved it. I just don't handle cold weather well, though.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
Well, that would be a welcoming sight, 60 degrees in December... must've happened before I got here...lol:yes:

A Christmas temp of 60 is not uncommon, but I've seen it hit 80 a time or two here on Christmas Day.....just days after we had had a brief snowfall. The usual line around here is: "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change." And I saw that once in Lubbock. One Saturday morning it was bitterly cold, so I dressed in a heavy coat for work. By noon the sun had come out and it got up close to 60 degrees. And then by 5:00 it got dark and nasty looking. The weather bureau put us under a severe thunderstorm watch and later warning, and by 8:00 we were under a tornado watch. Nothing unusual for Lubbock...except that was in January! :eek:

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Skip Goulet said:
A Christmas temp of 60 is not uncommon, but I've seen it hit 80 a time or two here on Christmas Day.....just days after we had had a brief snowfall. The usual line around here is: "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change." And I saw that once in Lubbock. One Saturday morning it was bitterly cold, so I dressed in a heavy coat for work. By noon the sun had come out and it got up close to 60 degrees. And then by 5:00 it got dark and nasty looking. The weather bureau put us under a severe thunderstorm watch and later warning, and by 8:00 we were under a tornado watch. Nothing unusual for Lubbock...except that was in January! :eek:

The average temperature here is about 21° in December, with an average max temperature in December of 29°. This morning it was 21° at my house!!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jradue said:
The average temperature here is about 21° in December, with an average max temperature in December of 29°. This morning it was 21° at my house!!

Ouch! Got down to around 40 this morning and I thought that was cold. Today's hi is supposed to be 71, but it was already that by 1:30. Supposed to be up to 80 by next Monday. Don't worry......winter will be here soon enough. Winter seems to jump around a bit here. One winter it will get down into single digits and the next year not much colder than the 20s. A couple of years ago in February we got down to 5 and 7 two days and the water froze in my toilet tank.

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
well, I just arranged to have the wood pile loaded up, so ill be loading wood for heat in the basement, and using the buckets of cinders for traction on Public Safety Lane.. just another season to prepare for..LOL :yes:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
well, I just arranged to have the wood pile loaded up, so ill be loading wood for heat in the basement, and using the buckets of cinders for traction on Public Safety Lane.. just another season to prepare for..LOL :yes:

I know some people I'd like to take out to the wood pile and give them a sound thrashing like in the old days....after what they did to Harold. Found out that Louise has hired an attorney to look into all this!

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
INSTLR60 said:

That is like money in the bank. Unfortunately it looks like winter wants to come early this year.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
well, skip, she better have some deep pockets, cause those lawyers,aren't cheap..hopefully, you get some resolution to this...

Well, since she inherits the entire estate, I'm sure that what Harold has left her financially well take care of a good bit of that. If not she'll just have to sell off part of the estate...his pickups, etc.

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
well, today, I have cb's to repair, the first one is FUBAR, DDS. But if it's what I think it is, that should be a pretty easy fix. the customer paid for it already, so that'll put some extra shekels in the pockets...lol next is just replacing a S meter on a unit, align the radio, and that's finished. the third is DDS. That should be another non complicated fix. that should be all for customers radios, got to start saving money for December...lol.131029_0004.jpg

131029_0003.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
well, today, I have cb's to repair, the first one is FUBAR, DDS. But if it's what I think it is, that should be a pretty easy fix. the customer paid for it already, so that'll put some extra shekels in the pockets...lol next is just replacing a S meter on a unit, align the radio, and that's finished. the third is DDS. That should be another non complicated fix. that should be all for customers radios, got to start saving money for December...lol.View attachment 62898View attachment 62899

So you not only repair radios, you do surgery, too, huh,Rick!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
I thought that they both go hand in hand!!??? LOL

That's good, Rick. For many years I worked at a small paint and hardware store part time in Lubbock when I was going to Texas Tech, and did my ambulance operation on weekends. I always carried a small trauma kit in my car, and one day the delivery guy that I ended up replacing cut himself badly on the arm so I went out and grabbed the kit and came back in to dress the wound. The guy, Curtis, was a strapping, big boy. The store owner walked over and looked at me and winked and then said to Curtis, "Now just lie down on the counter here and Skip will sow that up right quickly." The big kid had tears in his eyes and said, "But it's just a little cut!" The boss laughed loud enough to be heard down the block! I dressed the wound and then took him to the ER for stitches.

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
well, last night a town called and their public works said the they were cleaning out their stores, and had amassed a large amount of everything , and rather than dumpster everything, they loaded up their trucks and brought it out to me. Previously they had a question regarding a cv pi and I had helped them out of a jam, so the director of p.w , used to dealing with outrageous car dealers, expected to be dragged across the coals. When I told him there would be no charge, he was elated. I told him that whenever they were going to throw out anything or get rid of it, there would always be room for orphan equipment at my shop. That would be my fee for helping them out. And so, I get to feel like Father Flanagan, once again!! Lol... this is just a small sampling of things I received...

140219_0001.jpg

140219_0002.jpg

140219_0003.jpg

140219_0004.jpg

140219_0005.jpg

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
INSTLR60 said:
well, last night a town called and their public works said the they were cleaning out their stores, and had amassed a large amount of everything , and rather than dumpster everything, they loaded up their trucks and brought it out to me. Previously they had a question regarding a cv pi and I had helped them out of a jam, so the director of p.w , used to dealing with outrageous car dealers, expected to be dragged across the coals. When I told him there would be no charge, he was elated. I told him that whenever they were going to throw out anything or get rid of it, there would always be room for orphan equipment at my shop. That would be my fee for helping them out. And so, I get to feel like Father Flanagan, once again!! Lol... this is just a small sampling of things I received...

Well Rick, it looks like it is time to pay you a visit again!!! :thumbsup:

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
jradue said:
Well Rick, it looks like it is time to pay you a visit again!!! :thumbsup:

Sure, with all the crazy weather out here, I just have to make sure Public Safety Lane, is clear, which it is. whenever I don't have a friend from Poynette plow it for me, I am out with the snow thrower...

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
INSTLR60 said:
Sure, with all the crazy weather out here, I just have to make sure Public Safety Lane, is clear, which it is. whenever I don't have a friend from Poynette plow it for me, I am out with the snow thrower...

That is a long driveway to plow with a snow thrower:ugh:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:

Well, "Fr." Rick, if you were so inclined you could always send me that nice looking Dietz 211 as a late Christmas present.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Earlier in this thread the cold winter weather is discussed. How much of that bad stuff recently did you get in WI, Rick? We've had our share of cold this winter, a bit more than usual. But the past few days have been nice....up in the low 80s. But we had a "Norther" hit this morning with high winds and temps only to get in the mid-60s today.

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Skip Goulet said:
Earlier in this thread the cold winter weather is discussed. How much of that bad stuff recently did you get in WI, Rick? We've had our share of cold this winter, a bit more than usual. But the past few days have been nice....up in the low 80s. But we had a "Norther" hit this morning with high winds and temps only to get in the mid-60s today.

In our area we went through a solid month of below zero morning temperatures and highs in the single digits or teens. The last two days have been in the 40's. Right now it is pouring rain with thunder!!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jradue said:
In our area we went through a solid month of below zero morning temperatures and highs in the single digits or teens. The last two days have been in the 40's. Right now it is pouring rain with thunder!!

We could use the moisture, as it's been a mostly-dry winter here with only slight snowfall here and there. Other parts of TX have had worse weather, though. But it has been a colder-than-usual winter, with the cold weather lasting a bit longer than what we're used to. So the 80s the past few days have been a welcome relief. As I say way above, I just don't handle the cold all that well, and the older I get the worse that gets. I lived in Lubbock for 22 years, and Lubbock gets much wetter and colder than what we see here. It took me 20 years of the 22 that I was there to get used to it, and then I ended up back here!

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the sirens lost by my late friend Harold Welch just prior to his death in late October. His daughters sold off everything while he was hospitalized in Fort Worth. It looks like I may be recovering at least two of mine..a couple of CAM sirens. That's better than none, I guess.

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Skip Goulet said:
We could use the moisture, as it's been a mostly-dry winter here with only slight snowfall here and there. Other parts of TX have had worse weather, though. But it has been a colder-than-usual winter, with the cold weather lasting a bit longer than what we're used to. So the 80s the past few days have been a welcome relief. As I say way above, I just don't handle the cold all that well, and the older I get the worse that gets. I lived in Lubbock for 22 years, and Lubbock gets much wetter and colder than what we see here. It took me 20 years of the 22 that I was there to get used to it, and then I ended up back here!

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the sirens lost by my late friend Harold Welch just prior to his death in late October. His daughters sold off everything while he was hospitalized in Fort Worth. It looks like I may be recovering at least two of mine..a couple of CAM sirens. That's better than none, I guess.

I have been following this saga Skip. I feel for you. This type of stuff should never happen.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jradue said:
I have been following this saga Skip. I feel for you. This type of stuff should never happen.

Thanks. I've been trying to contact the deputy who was handling the case, and he just can't be found! If you've seen the thread, I've been getting advice to file charges, which I'm considering, but in TX, proving criminal intent may be tricky.

RES347CUE

Nov 7, 2010
NASSAU COUNTY N.Y.
Good lord that has to be one of the nicer collections around

There is a lot of nice pieces on those shelves if you take your time and carefully look at each pic

Thanks for sharing

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
RES347CUE said:
Good lord that has to be one of the nicer collections around
There is a lot of nice pieces on those shelves if you take your time and carefully look at each pic

Thanks for sharing

thank you very much RES347CUE, I try to stock the things that might be overlooked , and perhaps some other little things...lol

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
well, Im starting, with the warmer weather, getting the motivation to do some improvements to the shop. I replaced some shelves, to heavy duty industrial ones, from the pressboard temporary ones that I threw together when the stockrooms were built, from the main stockroom to the upper stockroom, which im still working on. the pressboard ones I moved into the main showroom, to display more product , lights and such. :yes:

140311_0001.jpg

140311_0003.jpg

140120_0009.jpg

140120_0006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
heres some pics of the old pressboard shelving. the units that are in poor shape will just be discarded, while the nicer looking ones will be moved to the main showroom and have lights and things added to them.

140115_0015.jpg

140116_0012.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.