Interesting Federal "Flashball" on eBay

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I found this while snooping around eBay this afternoon. The seller claims it is a Flashball, but the mirror and bulb are mounted backwards and in the wrong place and the flasher is not correct nor is it mounted in the correct spot. The label on the dome retaining band also looks very odd. As far as I know, Flashball's came with labels that read "Flash*Ball", this one reads "Fire*Ball". Also, the model designation stamping looks odd. The "F" in FB and the "F" that designates it as a Flashball appear to be different fonts, almost like someone took a FB-1 label and doctored the "1" to look like a "F". The base also appears to have an excessive number of holes in it, more than any Flashball or Fireball that I have seen. Could it be that someone has tried to home brew a Flashball from parts?

Vintage Fire Ball Federal Sign and Signal Corp Model FB F Light Works | eBay

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I've been watching that myself. I agree with all of your observations. I noticed that there is no serial # in the S/N spot. I've never seen a FireBall label without a serial number.

I was wondering if it was a first try at the FlashBall, before a separate tag was generated.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Is it a Flashball at all?? Look at the direction of the reflector. Off center facing rear! I thought the Flash Ball was a forward facing fixed reflector??

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Looks altered. The Fireball domes were tear drop shaped so they could be turned backwards to snugly fit up against the windshield. My guess is someone modified or made it to do that.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Hhmmmm... The listing is removed .... Maybe the BayPopo pulled it? :undecided:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
crescentstar69 said:
Looks altered. The Fireball domes were tear drop shaped so they could be turned backwards to snugly fit up against the windshield. My guess is someone modified or made it to do that.
I did exactly that with a bunch of Flashballs in the early 1980's. My old ambulance squad bought a bunch of them and most of the members wanted them modified to sit as tightly to the front window as possible. IIRC, all I had to do was drill out some rivets, flip the light base and reflector around, and drill a new hole to mount the holder for the flasher. Unlike the one mentioned here, I made sure they were done as neatly as humanly possible. The only clue that the lights had been modified was the pop rivets that I used to reassemble them.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
StEaLtH2 said:
Hhmmmm... The listing is removed .... Maybe the BayPopo pulled it? :undecided:

That is what happens when an "illegal" light listing from eBay is posted here, it soon gets removed. The eBay police patrol ELB and will see a post about something and get it removed.

Also, I do think I saw this and was also wondering if it was a real FS light as well.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The eBay police may have gotten it since it did feature a blue dome. I wish I had downloaded the pictures of it as I have never seen a Flashball quite like that one. :crazy:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
There were new holes made for the conversion. The original holes had been used. I saw rust and screw marks ariond these holes. I'd say owner altered.

Not surw on the label though. I was hoping it was, maybe, a first version FB-f before they became a stocked item.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
There were new holes made for the conversion. The original holes had been used. I saw rust and screw marks ariond these holes. I'd saw owner altered.

Not sure on the label though. I was hoping it was, maybe, a first version FB-F before they became a stocked item.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.