Just IN!!! My New in Box Federal Signal Streethawk N.Y.P.D. Spec.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello again my friends!
I just received another special light bar for my ever growing collection! A N.Y.P.D. Spec. All-light Streethawk!! When is the last time you saw one like this, especially in new condition! Living in So. Cal. these are rare to come by LOL. This was a "friend of a friend" type deal. My friend got it from his friend which happened to be a retired NYPD officer. It pays to put the word out when you can!
This Streethawk light bar features four rotators (two clear outboard and two inboard with red filters), center TCL light and lower secondary flashers with alley lights. I feel very lucky to have stumbled across such a gem. I found some pictures of this type light bar while in-use. Let me know what you think and as always.........stay tuned!

DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00004.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00006.JPG scan0154.jpg scan0210.jpg scan0145.jpg ny_nyc_nypd_barrier_3145_(3)-1.JPG

Last edited:

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
This is a great find and it looks cool! The truck in the last photo looks like at least some of these bars might still be in service. The truck is a great application for the StreetHawk, in my opinion. :)

Reactions: JazzDad
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Nice,
So besides the TCL is there anything really special about this setup? Looks to be pretty basic..

Good find though.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Thanks to all so far! I was happy to find it.

Nice,
So besides the TCL is there anything really special about this setup? Looks to be pretty basic..
Good find though.
It was a Federal Signal light bar used by the NYPD, that's good enough reason for me, LOL! I mean why is a NYPD Aerodynic so collectible? It just has rotators and flashers as well, just saying....thanks

Sweet stuff for sure! Does the front clear stationary lights flashes, or are these takedowns?
takedown lights

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Love it! Definitely looks better than the ones they've still got rolling around, burnt out bulbs and cloudy lenses and all. I demand a video, like, yesterday.

Reactions: lotsofbars

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
This looks amazing, Eric! (should go without saying lol) It's good to see someone saved at least one of these, they're great bars.
This is a great find and it looks cool! The truck in the last photo looks like at least some of these bars might still be in service. The truck is a great application for the StreetHawk, in my opinion. :)
They're still widely used on barrier trucks and other large utility trucks. These trucks are changed less frequently because they're workhorses and they're good until they're no longer drivable.
Nice,

Good find though.
The red filters are only on the inner fast rotators. NYPD has classically opted for equal amounts of red/clear lights in their lights or, in the case of the larger SHL's on the larger units, more clear than red.
Love it! Definitely looks better than the ones they've still got rolling around, burnt out bulbs and cloudy lenses and all. I demand a video, like, yesterday.
I'd definitely love to see it too. The problem with the NYPD is that there is little to no regular service for things such as burnt out bulbs or bad rotators while the bars themselves are pretty much always on and overused. I rode in a Central Park van recently that is at least 15 years old and in immaculate condition, and even that van's Vista had at least three bulbs out and one nonfunctional rotator.

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
nice....
wonder if nypd had instead of meteor light in the center intersection clearing light?
i saw that somewhere on nypd cars......hmmm...likewise good option for center section.
firehawks had 2 meteor in the center.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Thanks to all so far! I was happy to find it.

It was a Federal Signal light bar used by the NYPD, that's good enough reason for me, LOL! I mean why is a NYPD Aerodynic so collectible? It just has rotators and flashers as well, just saying....thanks

takedown lights

Besides this labeled as NYPD I don't see anything special about it.. That's why I ask.. The NYPD Aerotwin is unique there are things different cable location, dome configuration..

At the moment I can't go 5 feet without tripping on a streethawk.. not to diss the bar but not much past meh on the interest meter.

This is just a regular Streethawk with a TCL.. so while its cool cause its an NYPD bar, and even more that its NIB.. IMO its still just a regular streethawk with a TCL.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Very cool Eric. I agree that it just being NYPD spec maks it unique, special and worth saving.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
They're still widely used on barrier trucks and other large utility trucks. These trucks are changed less frequently because they're workhorses and they're good until they're no longer drivable.

They see limited use compared to most other vehicles in the fleet so it takes longer to incur the mileage that dictates their replacement

Granted these were never the most effective bar the department used but,This is an awesome find. I want to say the last new vehicles that got these were around 02/03. So this must have been collecting dust quite a while. Is there a build date on it?

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.