Lights & sirens from 9/11 2001

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
I have been wondering what happened to the emergency vehicles that was on the scene at WTC on 9/11?

I guess many of them was taken out of duty after that day. =(

I think the lights & sirens from those vehicles must have a very high sentimental value and also a high collectors value??

Or what do you think?

Maybe some collector on this board has got some info about this? Or maybe have some light or siren from that day in their collection.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
i know one engine was in the ny state museum. but the rest that i know of went to the scrap yard with the rest of the debris. im sure someone knows better, just sharing what i have seen.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
A very large portion of the emergency vehicles on scene were wrecked during the events, and with all the hot/molten debris falling from the sky, the plastic lights on top of vehicles were more than likely first to be destroyed.

I could be wrong. But there was a lot of equipment lost that day.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
If someone went to that scrap yard and got some lights/sirens from that day then they have got something very special ....

I mean if they have proof that a lightbar/siren was on a vehicle that was on the WTC scene on 9/11, then it must be very hard to put a value to that piece...

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
it would of taken quite an act to get into there and get one. they had to decon all of that debris. but there is always that someone that knows someone so i guess it would be possible. and idk if you could put a value onto something like that.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Most everything that was damaged and not useable was crushed and sold as scrap or ended up in a landfil. If it was repairable it was decon and put back in service. They were short alot of equipment. Then after that it went the at auction and how would you know even if it was there or not?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Personally I think it should be left alone.

So much distruction of human life and resources.

I think I would find something else for a reminder of that tragic day.There's been a lot of stuff brought around that is supposably from the WTC site how are we to know for sure.

So much was exploited for that almighty doller.

They put some things from the FDNY in a musem that they thought was an appropreite reminder of the loss of life & property.

That's just my opinion on the subject and no one else's.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
How would you even authenticate it? I can take a NYPD Vector, throw some ground up concrete and ash on it and say it was used on 9/11. There are plenty of suckers out there that would buy it.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well that was a long time ago and not within the same few days,weeks,months,and years of the tragedy.

A hate it when people use a tragedy or something like(the Berlin Wall) to make profit.

People were selling chucks claiming to be from the wall for crazy money.

I could think of something else for memorabilty and would need proof of it's origins.

Alot of money hungry savages come out of the wood work just for profit on something like this.

Prime example Carpet baggers after the civil war taking advantage of the south.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Sobering.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
I think it would be horrible for someone to attempt to make a profit off such equipment.

But to display it, or better yet, use it on a rig that is in service---I think that'd be a very fitting tribute.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
As someone who's always had a piece of me in NYC and who now lives in Manhattan, I think it would be nice to get something small, maybe just a mini XL or SD off the roof of one of the trucks and display it quietly in my room as a sort of tribute. Unrestored and broken, just as a reminder.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
not really 9/11 related, but I have 3 FDNY trucks that code 3 collectibles made on a shelf. One of the is FDNY ladder 10 that was first on scene of the WTC attacks.

The other 2 are R-3 and R-5 (R-5 is the older HME one). Even the FDNY patches I have are a reminder for me.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Watched a thing on it and they have a bunch of EVs sitting in an airport hangar with a bunch of steel from the WTCs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.