Looking for Pictures of Ford Fairmont Police cars

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
Looking for Pictures of Ford Fairmont Police cars, I recently aquired a Fairmont and would like to do a restoration, looking for ideas on who ran them. The following pictures are not mine, I found them, on Google image, they are property of their respectful owners. Mostly Greg Reynolds from copcar dot com - The home of the American Police Car, a special thanks to him and the others for their time,effort, and dedication on finding and preserving these wonderful pictures.

So far my personal favorite is the LAPD one. Oh yeah they had 85 Horse power for pursuits and quick response from thier inline six! lol! but they got 33mpg!

f6.jpg

f7.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f25.jpg

f26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
Ford's first compact police car was the Ford Fairmont. In the retail market the 1978 Fairmont was the replacement for the aging Ford Maverick, which was taken out of production out in 1977. The Fairmont was based on the so called Ford "FOX" platform, that would later yield such cars as the Ford Mustang (1979-1993), Ford LTD (1983-1986), Ford Thunderbird (1980-1988) and several other Ford products. At a wheelbase of 105.5 inch, the Fairmont was classified at the time as a compact car. Ford also offered a police package on the identical Mercury Zephyr. Both were full police package cars. Very few Mercury police cars were made. Two engine choices for police package Fairmonts in 1978. The first was a 200 cu inch inline 6, that offered only 85 hp. Second choice was a 302 cu inch V8 at 138 hp. The Fairmont was the smallest of the compact police cars. The Chevy Nova was at a 108 in wheelbase, and the Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare twins at 112.7 in wheelbase. The Fairmont was the least popular of the compact police cars, due to its small size and weak engines, as compares to the competition. However, the Fairmont was one of the best selling cars for Ford at the retail level. Ford 1979, the Fairmont police car returned with the same 200 cu inch inline 6 as the year before, and a new 255 cu inch V8. These engine choices were carried over for the 1980 model year also. For 1981 a new base engine was added for the Fairmont police car, a 140 cu inch inline 4 . For 1982 the Fairmont got a front end restyled with a new grill and headlights. The engine choices were the same as the year before. 1983 was the last year for the Fairmont. It was replaced in the retail market by the new front drive Ford ltd, and in the police market by the Ford LTD, that was based on the same platform as the Fairmont. For its last year, the police Fairmont was only available wit the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. No V-8 was offered in the police version for 1983. The Fairmont was never a great selling police car, it was never able to match it competition like the Chevy Nova, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare.

f27.jpg

f29.jpg

f30.jpg

1982CHP.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Fairmont was a relatively small car, watch your head if a full size lightbar is installed! :duh:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
21266d1325005744t-looking-pictures-ford-fairmont-police-cars-f10.jpg

I'm surprised the roof could handle the weight of those big NA Sig par46 beacons! Bigger than the car almost! That exact monster of a crossbar has been showcased here before as well from a craigslist ad ----> http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/craig-selling-some-good-stuff-great-prices-57/index23.html#post87311

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
A couple of pics I found:

1970s_Ford_Fairmount.jpg

These pics are bringing back memories! The Fairmont was a crappy police car, but I loved the LTD 2 that replaced them. Our Fairmonts had Visibars with blue domes and wide mouth speakers, Powercall or Director sirens, wire cages, and GE Mastr Royal Executive radios. The shotguns were mounted like the interior pic from the previous post below. Sorry, no remaining pics of ours, unfortunately.

I was an un-sworn cadet when we had the Fairmonts, so I rode in them a lot. I got my commission when the LTD 2 came out, so that was my first cruiser.

5530916332_3939f6788e_z.jpg

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Hey Crown_Vics, do you have any photos of your own or did you find it easier to steal all of mine from copcar dot com? Asking for permission to re-use them is one thing and I probably wouldn't have minded. Just taking them is another. I've spent a lot of years looking for and finding vintage photos. All you did was go to my page at copcar dot com - The home of the American Police Car - Photo Archives and swipe them for reposting. You didn't even link them. The least you could do is credit your source.

Greg

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
Greg, no I don't have any of my own. But really steal? come on Greg, anyone can save pics from google image.

I did not go to copcar.com at all. My intentions were not in anyway as you are saying, I also did not go swipe them, I am not that computer savy.I googled ford fairmont police car on google image, the clicked save pic as. I did credit my source, which was google image.I also mentioned the pics were not mine and were prperty of there owners. I will remove them if you like? I apologize for causing an issue with you , like I said it wasn't my intention. Let me know if you want them removed Greg and I will. I do not want any issues with you. Great job on your restorations by the way! I added credit to you on th OP.

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
The photo credit to copcar dot com is fine. Thank you. It happens all the time where people will steal our photos and repost them somewhere as their own or even worse, they submit them to CCdC as theirs.

I look forward to seeing your finished restoration.

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
Thank you,Greg!

I can't believe people try and resubmit them as theirs, that's classic and just amazing! I can understand your fustration and where your coming from now. Thanks again

rlsllc

Dec 2, 2011
USA/Ohio
but I had a 1978 police package Fairmont for a couple of years. It had a 302 and was dark green. I bought it up by Ravenna, Ohio. I will look for a pic when I get a chance.

badbrad

Jan 29, 2011
canada, saskatchewan
I remember seeing a few of these used by the rcmp - unmarked for admin stuff. I saw a marked blue/white one at the rcmp academy in Regina used as base security patrol. A friend of mine bought a dark green one with pumpkin orange interior at RCMP Govt auction around 1978-80. He bought it for his GF to drive back forth to college. I drove and rode in it a few times, not much power but it handled the circle off ramps awesome, hold it to the floor and steer where you wanted to go. Had all the HD sway bars etc.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
A little tech-factoid....

Ford ALSO built a 250 cu in. inline 6 cylinder based

on the 200 block! I know this because I OWNED ONE

fresh from Ford when I ordered my Maverick Grabber

back in 1971. I have always been a "Ford-o-phile"

since owning my first Ford (a 1963 Falcon in 1966).

You had to know about the availability of this motor

as Ford did not advertise it publicly. My Maverick

also came with a special-order "handling package"

consisting of factory sway bars, traction arms on the

rear, heavy duty shocks (rated for the V-8 model)

and heavy duty ball joints and drag link for the steering.

I ordered this car from the factory this way (the ONLY

way you could get one back then) and I think I MIGHT

still have the invoice around for it still!

I ordered the car this way as back in that era, insurance

was a total BEAR if you had a V-8 in certain cars as they

wore considered "muscle cars". Plus I saw the gas crunch

coming. There was ONLY 10 horsepower difference between

the 302 and the 250 and it was more than made up by the

weight savings! I beat many a bigger car in street races

back then!

I believe that all of the handling options were carried forward

to the Fairmont models as well. The Maverick was one of the

first "computer-built" cars where you could pre-order by line

item for your optional equipment. Took tons of research for

finding out all of the stuff available. Also, the Ford Grenada

was what took the place of the Fairmont. They were somewhat

heavier and better appointed than the Fairmonts, but built

on the same platform. Looked like little Lincolns. They were

not popular because they got awful gas mileage (and this was

during the gas crunch) due to the increased weight. They also

cam with the optional 302 V-8 which was a service nightmare

because of cramped engine bay.

The 250 cu in. 6 lasted until the end of the era for those

type of engines ending up in the Grenada and Mercury models.

Good torque (BETTER than the V-8!) , and just as good HP.

"Speed Goodies" were a bit tough but not impossible to find.

VERY simple and durable engines that began in 1959 as the

old 144 cu in. 6 and ended up as the 250 cu in 6. These

were the "small block" 6s. The "big block " 6s were the 200

ending with the 300 cu in 6 (I still own one of these in a

early 80s F-150.)

Hope this historical info is helpful. I will look later in my files

for more Ford 6 info. Have quite a few tech manuals and

reference books from that era!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
They look better with shorter light bars. A standard length bar overhangs too much on either side.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
pc0k894 said:
Hey Crown_Vics, do you have any photos of your own or did you find it easier to steal all of mine from copcar dot com? Asking for permission to re-use them is one thing and I probably wouldn't have minded. Just taking them is another. I've spent a lot of years looking for and finding vintage photos. All you did was go to my page at copcar dot com - The home of the American Police Car - Photo Archives and swipe them for reposting. You didn't even link them. The least you could do is credit your source.

Greg

"Lighten up Francis." I understand the need to protect intellectual property. But unless you're a professional photographer who took those pics yourself and rely on those pictures for income or use them excusively at a paysite I don't see the need to get yer' panties in a twist. I always assume that those on sites like this are enthusiasts of lights, emergency services, vehicles and the history of all the above and are more than happy to share their picture gems with others who would have any interest in them. I really don't want to come of as a jerk here but I truly think that Crown_Vics actions were pretty benign.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Wailer said:
They look better with shorter light bars. A standard length bar overhangs too much on either side.

Could be why the manufacturers developed those 42" and even smaller bars?

Cars began to REALLY get smaller in the late 70s and early 80s and have

been shrinking even more since. (I wonder if a "mini-bar" would look right

on a SmartCar? :D )

Also, the late 70s and early 80s were notorious for ALL of the car makers

for being fairly crappy as far as quality of vehicles back then. Hard lessons

were learned by ALL of the manufacturers!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
EngCo4 said:
Could be why the manufacturers developed those 42" and even smaller bars?
Cars began to REALLY get smaller in the late 70s and early 80s and have

been shrinking even more since. (I wonder if a "mini-bar" would look right

on a SmartCar? :D )

Also, the late 70s and early 80s were notorious for ALL of the car makers

for being fairly crappy as far as quality of vehicles back then. Hard lessons

were learned by ALL of the manufacturers!

It is. I think Federal was the first with the 12S (short) TwinSonic in 1974 for the new compact size vehicles and the the 12M (medium) in 1977 for the newly shrunken mid-size cars. Federal did not shrink the model 11 Twin Beacon Ray, but did offer medium size Aerodynics shortly after introducing the full size Aerodynic and even built some short (three light panes on each side with speaker section in the center) Aerodynics.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Crown_Vics said:
Ford's first compact police car was the Ford Fairmont. In the retail market the 1978 Fairmont was the replacement for the aging Ford Maverick, which was taken out of production out in 1977. The Fairmont was based on the so called Ford "FOX" platform, that would later yield such cars as the Ford Mustang (1979-1993), Ford LTD (1983-1986), Ford Thunderbird (1980-1988) and several other Ford products. At a wheelbase of 105.5 inch, the Fairmont was classified at the time as a compact car. Ford also offered a police package on the identical Mercury Zephyr. Both were full police package cars. Very few Mercury police cars were made. Two engine choices for police package Fairmonts in 1978. The first was a 200 cu inch inline 6, that offered only 85 hp. Second choice was a 302 cu inch V8 at 138 hp. The Fairmont was the smallest of the compact police cars. The Chevy Nova was at a 108 in wheelbase, and the Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare twins at 112.7 in wheelbase. The Fairmont was the least popular of the compact police cars, due to its small size and weak engines, as compares to the competition. However, the Fairmont was one of the best selling cars for Ford at the retail level. Ford 1979, the Fairmont police car returned with the same 200 cu inch inline 6 as the year before, and a new 255 cu inch V8. These engine choices were carried over for the 1980 model year also. For 1981 a new base engine was added for the Fairmont police car, a 140 cu inch inline 4 . For 1982 the Fairmont got a front end restyled with a new grill and headlights. The engine choices were the same as the year before. 1983 was the last year for the Fairmont. It was replaced in the retail market by the new front drive Ford ltd, and in the police market by the Ford LTD, that was based on the same platform as the Fairmont. For its last year, the police Fairmont was only available wit the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. No V-8 was offered in the police version for 1983. The Fairmont was never a great selling police car, it was never able to match it competition like the Chevy Nova, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare.

Great info except for one small glitch, the "Baby LTD" (not to be confused with the PANTHER platform-based full-sized LTD "S" and LTD/Crown Victoria) in either civilian or police trim was based on the same FOX platform as the Fairmont/Granada/Monarch/Zephyr including drivetrain/configuration and was not available in FWD in the retail market as you stated. It was always a front-engine/rwd set-up from it's introduction in 1983 until it's demise in 1986 just like the other FOX variants before it. The LTD was actually the replacement for the '81/'82 Granada and the '84 FWD Ford Tempo was the replacement for the Fairmont which ceased production after 1983.

The '83-'86 LTD was replaced by the FWD Taurus which debuted in 1986 (Ford produced both concurrently that year as they were not sure how well the public would take to the FWD Taurus, which was radical in comparison to the more conventional FOX-based LTD).

Ford LTD (Americas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jrfive0

Sep 19, 2011
NJ, USA
LRGJr72 said:
"Lighten up Francis." I understand the need to protect intellectual property. But unless you're a professional photographer who took those pics yourself and rely on those pictures for income or use them excusively at a paysite I don't see the need to get yer' panties in a twist. I always assume that those on sites like this are enthusiasts of lights, emergency services, vehicles and the history of all the above and are more than happy to share their picture gems with others who would have any interest in them. I really don't want to come of as a jerk here but I truly think that Crown_Vics actions were pretty benign.

+1 If you put pictures up on the internet they are for everyone with an internet connection to pretty much do with what they please

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Thanks for the back up, CV. I appreciate the photo credit. That's all I asked before the Johnny-come-latelys came late to the parade. I just consider the source. Most of the photos (at least 90%) I either shot myself or scanned the original prints that are part of my collection of 20,000+ photos documenting the history of police vehicles. When I'm not photographing copcars, I'm working on my restored Chicago police cars that are used for car shows and official Chicago Police Department functions as I've been on the department for the last 25 years. My current restoration (1972 Dodge Polara) has been driven to & from NYC three times and to Wash DC last May for the annual ceremonies at the Nat'l Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial. Why don't you tell all the families and co-workers of slain police officers to lighten up? I shoot my photos in honor of them.

DC.jpg

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
pc0k894 said:
Thanks for the back up, CV. I appreciate the photo credit. That's all I asked before the Johnny-come-latelys came late to the parade. I just consider the source. Most of the photos (at least 90%) I either shot myself or scanned the original prints that are part of my collection of 20,000+ photos documenting the history of police vehicles. When I'm not photographing copcars, I'm working on my restored Chicago police cars that are used for car shows and official Chicago Police Department functions as I've been on the department for the last 25 years. My current restoration (1972 Dodge Polara) has been driven to & from NYC three times and to Wash DC last May for the annual ceremonies at the Nat'l Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial. Why don't you tell all the families and co-workers of slain police officers to lighten up? I shoot my photos in honor of them.

I commend you for the restorations, photography and your important contributions to the historical record of police vehicles in America.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
crescentstar69 said:
A couple of pics I found:

View attachment 21298View attachment 21297

These pics are bringing back memories! The Fairmont was a crappy police car, but I loved the LTD 2 that replaced them. Our Fairmonts had Visibars with blue domes and wide mouth speakers, Powercall or Director sirens, wire cages, and GE Mastr Royal Executive radios. The shotguns were mounted like the interior pic from the previous post below. Sorry, no remaining pics of ours, unfortunately.

I was an un-sworn cadet when we had the Fairmonts, so I rode in them a lot. I got my commission when the LTD 2 came out, so that was my first cruiser.

Just FYI, the LTD 2 did not replace Fairmonts. But I know what you're talking about because I've seen the "Baby LTD" referred to as the "LTD 2" before by alot of people. It was really never designated that.

The actual LTD 2 (or more properly, II) replaced and was based on the Torino/Gran Torino and was built from '77-'79 and I actually owned a '78 Police Package LTD II as my first car (not to mention they were made "famous" as the Sheriff's car in the epic police/dirtbike opening chase in Rambo:First Blood, IIRC complete with a pair of Yankee 354's on a crossbar on the roof).

The replacement for the Fairmont was actually the Tempo. The "LTD" (plain and simple no number after the letters) actually replaced the Granada (which was pretty much a re-dressed Fairmont produced in '81/'82).

THIS is an LTD II (mine, in fact)

My First Car (1978 LTD II).jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
pc0k894........Is this possibly my old "AOL pen-pal" CPDGreg from the mid-nineties?? If so, It's GREAT to see you on here... your scale models and 1:1 restorations were always some of the finest work I've seen!

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
pc0k894 said:
Yep. Guilty as charged. Are you the model builder from Massachusetts? I've forgotten your old AO-Hell screen name.

That would be me Greg.... p32acdm was the 'ol AOL handle. Good to see you!

Mike

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
Sarge619 is correct about LTD II's. They were late 70's replacements for the Torino line. Ft Lauderdale PD ran them in '77. They had longer hoods and shorter deck lids than the Torinos they replaced.

In the early/mid 80's, full size Fords were LTD Crown Victorias and the Fairmont-size Fords were LTDs. The PD where I worked used both LTDs in the years I worked there. The smaller LTDs were nearly identical to the Fairmonts they replaced, except for front end and rear end cosmetic changes. Look at pictures of each side by side and you will see what I mean. The police package offered 5.0 liter (302 c.i.) V8s that were all the rage in 5.0 Mustangs of that era. These were rear-wheel drive cars, not front wheel drives as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
This is the Ford Fairmont I aquired! As you can see its in really decent shape, with only 70K original miles! Retired from local County Constables office!

1316197398116.jpg

1316197373989.jpg

1316201219038.jpg

1316197356679.jpg

1316197384848.jpg

Fairmont police.jpg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
That's a pretty dang sharp Fairmont yet, Crown_Vics! Now what cruiser to make it into is the question... :undecided:

OESFIVE

Jan 10, 2012
New York
very nice ! I remember them very well.

I will look around for some of my old pics of the

ford fairmonts. twin sonic lights bars, federal PA20's

and the GE Mastr II radios

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.