Made the local paper...and I'm not pissed anymore. :)

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So we had a call earlier today, patient crashed into a building, in arrest. I get back to the station, and my old Lt emails me, and tells me to go check out the local paper's web site, so I do...and find this:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ollow.html

What kind of paper posts a picture of an EMS crew doing CPR on a pt?!?!? I've emailed the author, hopefully they will pull it. I understand it was on a public street, and it is not showing his face, but it's still totally offensive to me!! Am I just overreacting?

Stendec

May 21, 2010
A paper reporting the news?

Papers report deaths and accidents all the time, you pointed out that it doesn't show his face, or blood or guts, or that he soiled himself or any of those other things we'd hope no one saw of us when we punch out. It beats having a photo of your crew standing around staring at a lump under a sheet waiting for the coroner to show up.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Stendec said:
A paper reporting the news?

Papers report deaths and accidents all the time, you pointed out that it doesn't show his face, or blood or guts, or that he soiled himself or any of those other things we'd hope no one saw of us when we punch out. It beats having a photo of your crew standing around staring at a lump under a sheet waiting for the coroner to show up.
Did I say I had a problem with the news being reported? No. I said I had a problem with them posting a picture of us doing CPR on a patient. The news article is fine, but post a pic of the car, or the building he hit. As a family member, I would be pissed if I saw that. I know it's legal...and I'm not arguing that, nor do I think it shouldn't be legal, but it's still, IMHO, inappropriate.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
OK, then why ask if you are over-reacting? If you think THAT's in bad taste, don't turn on the TV.

Jeez, by all means, don't let the public see you doing your job when it comes time for a levy or anything.

When did people here decide to become the Public Morals Police and Official Arbiters of Uniforms, Car Lighting and News Media? Y'all got more Thou Shall Nots than a Mormon girls' summer camp.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Klein said:
How come you werent in the truck working him?
That pic was within the first couple of minutes on scene, he had to be immobilized first, prior to getting him in the truck, along with all the resuscitation stuff the medic was doing. We were in the truck within about 5-7 minutes.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
fp13-2 said:
That pic was within the first couple of minutes on scene, he had to be immobilized first, prior to getting him in the truck, along with all the resuscitation stuff the medic was doing. We were in the truck within about 5-7 minutes.

Gotcha.

triton911bj

May 24, 2010
Springville, PA
I dont see the paients face in the picture nor does the article mention a name. It refers to the paient as "a man" or "the man". and i dont exactly see CPR going on. I see the paients legs, a guy holding a saline bag, a monitor, and a paramed holding his hands in the air.

I do see a bunch of bystanders there. Couldnt that be worse if they whipped out their handy dandy camera phone and forwarded pics/video to their friends?

I guess its all in how you interpret the picture.

Had this been a body uncovered, in the open where u can see the victims face, yea i have an issue with that. But if u have an issue with the media being to close to the situation, where was the firepolice/local or state police to control the scene?

Sry just expressing my view..

BJ

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Is that the new kind of CPR, no rescue breathing and now no chest compressions, you just wave your arms in the air and fan air across his face?

amedia.pennlive.com_midstate_impact_photo_8992784_large.jpg

mfaith91

May 23, 2010
Kentucky
NPS Ranger said:
Is that the new kind of CPR, no rescue breathing and now no chest compressions, you just wave your arms in the air and fan air across his face?

Medic is clear- could be taking readings- could be getting ready for a shock... you don't know- you weren't there.

This patient is so blocked in the picture that I don't think any morals or ethics boundaries have been surpassed- what it DOES show is a crew working their patient.

I read the story twice- and all it says was one person transported- did he make it? I can only assume massive heart attack (and no- I don't see this in the picture- I'm guessing from the gray in color, totally unresponsive, and how quick it happened (driver didn't have time to stop).

Good job on working your patient. Please keep up the good work.

Mike

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
NPS Ranger said:

Hmm.....next time we're defibrillating, go ahead and keep touching the pt, see how it feels.

Also, gotta love the continual examples of media dumbassery. Yes you fucking retards, an EMT is doing the defibrillations....

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Stendec said:
OK, then why ask if you are over-reacting? If you think THAT's in bad taste, don't turn on the TV.

Jeez, by all means, don't let the public see you doing your job when it comes time for a levy or anything.

When did people here decide to become the Public Morals Police and Official Arbiters of Uniforms, Car Lighting and News Media? Y'all got more Thou Shall Nots than a Mormon girls' summer camp.

+2

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I have been shooting TV news freelance for years and I see nothing wrong about that picture. I have seen worse published in both video and still photography in both Dallas/Fort Worth and Milwaukee markets that I have worked in. If the persons face was shown, then that is wrong, but you can barely see the legs of the person. Shows to the public the rescue personal doing their job to try and help the person.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Why are you so pissed when you are clearly "waving your hand in the air like you just don't care"?

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
K9Vic said:
I have been shooting TV news freelance for years and I see nothing wrong about that picture. I have seen worse published in both video and still photography in both Dallas/Fort Worth and Milwaukee markets that I have worked in. If the persons face was shown, then that is wrong, but you can barely see the legs of the person. Shows to the public the rescue personal doing their job to try and help the person.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've shot worse. And before anyone gets up in arms about HIPAA, the media's not bound by it, so just forget that argument.

I understand you being protective of your patient - I think that's a commendable thing, since part of the role of an EMS provider is to be an advocate for the patient. However, from the pic in the article, I see absolutely no problems with it. It's a snapshot of time as you did your best for your patient; how is that a bad thing?

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
I really dont see any need to get worked up over it. I am not a fan of the media but you can not see much of the patient in the picture. If I saw that picture in my local paper I wouldnt give it a second thought.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Rofocowboy84 said:
Hmm.....next time we're defibrillating, go ahead and keep touching the pt, see how it feels.

Noooo, just touching the patient doesn't cut it. If you want to get the full effect here are the instructions:

1) Wear a short sleeve shirt.

2) Use gobs of electrode jelly all over the anterior chest cause you'll be using paddles and not patches.

3) Have the patient on a stretcher with the metal siderails up.

4) Lean over the patient with your paddles, make sure your bare arms are leaning on the siderails, also make sure the electrode jelly that ran down the side of his chest is touching them also.

5) Hit the buttons and ZAP!

Been there, done that, more than once actually over the years. Not bad for the hundreds of pts I've defibrillated. And I'm still breathing.

For lesson #2, use the pads to noninvasively pace yourself. At the trade shows in the 1980's when Zoll released their first NTP pacer box, the company reps would stand there with bare chests and pads attached, being paced for hours at their booth. I'm sure the FDA was thrilled at that sales technique.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I used to work codes "where they fell"... now I do CPR, toss em on a board and load them into the truck. That completes the first minute of CPR that AHA wants done first and gets the pt into my space. IV/IO, Electrical interventions, airway and meds are all done in the truck. The back of the truck has better light and all the stuff I need is within arms reach. Of course there are exceptions, but I try not to "work" anyone out in public.

Not trying to be a dick, but I can see your ambulance in that pic. If you dodn't want people watching and taking pictures load the pt in the truck.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
JohnMarcson said:
I used to work codes "where they fell"... now I do CPR, toss em on a board and load them into the truck. That completes the first minute of CPR that AHA wants done first and gets the pt into my space. IV/IO, Electrical interventions, airway and meds are all done in the truck. The back of the truck has better light and all the stuff I need is within arms reach. Of course there are exceptions, but I try not to "work" anyone out in public.

Exactly I try to do as well.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Post something and get bashed. Welcome to the new ELB. Bunch of cops, FF's and EMS and no one can figure out why his hands are up in the air with that big machine on the ground. :roll:

ffemt045

May 24, 2010
belmont NY
Is that emt all clear for the shock or a suspect in the mva.LOL just kidding dont bust my balls.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
UndercoverVLS said:
Post something and get bashed. Welcome to the new ELB. Bunch of cops, FF's and EMS and no one can figure out why his hands are up in the air with that big machine on the ground. :roll:

Those were jokes.... Not bashing, joking and making an observation or 2. Everyone knows it was a case of "I'm clear, you're clear and we're all clear"....

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
NPS Ranger said:
I've been using defibs for several decades, thanks. I know what he was doing. I posted the pic with the comment cause I thought it was funny.
It thought it was pretty obvious that you were joking.....

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
UndercoverVLS said:

I dont see any bashing. And pretty sure we all know what his hands are in the air for (probably the new guy though, I havent put my hands that high since I started)

Next time read and keep an open mind instead of skimping over comments and bashing others for stating their opinions.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I knew why his hands were up, and got the jokes, and I can't even work a band-aid without doing harm.

It's because a larval Alien is jumping out of the patient's chest, right?

If privacy is so important, why do ambulances have windows in them?

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
usdemt said:
I dont see any bashing. And pretty sure we all know what his hands are in the air for (probably the new guy though, I havent put my hands that high since I started)

Next time read and keep an open mind instead of skimping over comments and bashing others for stating their opinions.
I'm not the new guy, idk why it's just always been ingrained in my head, though I don't even remember putting my arms up that high! I was on the chest and he yelled clear, so I cleared.

I got all the jokes...and thought they were funny. I at least have a sense of humor about it! :)

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Stendec said:
I knew why his hands were up, and got the jokes, and I can't even work a band-aid without doing harm.

The heavily tinted windows are so we can see OUT :cool:

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
NPS Ranger said:
For lesson #2, use the pads to noninvasively pace yourself. At the trade shows in the 1980's when Zoll released their first NTP pacer box, the company reps would stand there with bare chests and pads attached, being paced for hours at their booth. I'm sure the FDA was thrilled at that sales technique.

Lol, that may have been tried a few times in my EMS career.... :D :D

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Stendec said:

Only if its the "Spaceballs" version where it pops out of his chest dawns a top hat and cane and starts singing...... "Hello my baby Hello my darlin........"

:lol:

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Stendec said:
...and I can't even work a band-aid without doing harm...

Sticky side down, air goes in and out, blood goes 'round and 'round. Any variation of this is generally a bad thing. :)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
somebody lied to me. i was told it was

sticky side in, blood goes out, air goes down the world goes round and round without you

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.