MARS Skybolt

pc0k894 said:
To answer your question, yes. The clear domes and colored inserts are available new from Tri-Lite/Mars.

Don't know if they still have them or not, but Radio Shack carried the same inserts in red, amber, blue and green at one time. I had bought a set of two Mars SPECTRA minibars for an ambulance back in the mid-80s. The lights had three-bulb beacons on the outside and the 888 mechanism to the inside. Inadvertently they got sent with clear domes but no inserts. I got enough red and blue inserts to put on the beacons, but left the 888s clear. That was an awesome light package for its day.

JohnMarcson said:
Adding red to the amber dome will make it look like a muddy dull dim blob. In order to add filters you need a clear dome.

Not really, It's almost the same as putting a red bulb behind the amber dome.

It's just a display anyway.

Since there are 12 insert slots, I was think going 3 red, 3 amber, 3 red, 3 amber. or all red on one side.

Dietz used to make their split red / amber domes by tinting 1/2 of the amber dome red on the inside. Their tint was always a bit cloudy, and took the sharpness out of the flash, but the red filters with the amber dome would look nice.

dmathieu said:
...took the sharpness out of the flash....
EL1998P71 said:
Not really, It's almost the same as putting a red bulb behind the amber dome.
It's just a display anyway.

Since there are 12 insert slots, I was think going 3 red, 3 amber, 3 red, 3 amber. or all red on one side.

Yes...really...

It takes away more than the sharpness in these lights.

I have personally tried this
with mars lights both skybolts and spectrasystems, amber behind red and red behind amber. The filters added to the colored dome darkens and blurs the color significantly..... much worse than say red STTT in an amber XL dome. Red behind amber is obvious the better of the two. Not to mention it makes the internals hard to see. Even for "just a display" this doesn't look good at all. You might be able to get away with it on some models, on these it looks bad. Of course that's an opinion... others may like a dull flash and not being able to fully see the internals.

Try it if you like, I'm just trying to save you the trouble having been unhappy with the results after trying it myself.

The clear domes can still be had through trilite's industrial division.

JohnMarcson said:
Yes...really...

It takes away more than the sharpness in these lights.

I have personally tried this
with mars lights both skybolts and spectrasystems, amber behind red and red behind amber. The filters added to the colored dome darkens and blurs the color significantly..... much worse than say red STTT in an amber XL dome. Red behind amber is obvious the better of the two. Not to mention it makes the internals hard to see. Even for "just a display" this doesn't look good at all. You might be able to get away with it on some models, on these it looks bad. Of course that's an opinion... others may like a dull flash and not being able to fully see the internals.

Try it if you like, I'm just trying to save you the trouble having been unhappy with the results after trying it myself.

The clear domes can still be had through trilite's industrial division.

I understand your point. But since 99% of the time it will be unpowered. I don't see how a possible blur would matter.

I would hope the filters are much cheaper than buying another dome(being that if I get a clear dome, I'm stuck with an amber one)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNConstable