Mars Spectrasystem "Roof Bar"

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Recent addition to my collection. It needed some sprucing up and a set of legs but overall in pretty decent shape. Its the basic model (SSA-001)?? with two rotators and two mirrors, nothing fancy. Interesting bar in that its very well built in some areas yet they used plastic bulb holders in this one which seems to be a real cheap way to cut a corner. One of the previous owners tried to play "bar expert" but ended up screwing it up in more ways then one. Ive been able to get it back to pretty decent condition. Domes needed some polishing and interior needed some cleaning. End caps were not missing and in overall excellent condition. Had to fabricate a set of legs from pics that I found on the web.005 (2).JPG 006.JPG 010 (2).JPG 005 (3).JPG 002 (3).JPG 004.JPG 007 (3).JPG

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
Very nice bar.
I know the Mars Skybolt were used also by US Army. And in this case they had a low budget interior with plastic bulb holders.
Maybe your Spectrasystem or parts of it are from the Army.

Reactions: kadetklapp

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
You are correct.......I picked up an Army Skybolt and it also has the plastic bulb holder. I thought I saw some where it was suggested that the "later" Mars roof bars switched over to plastic bulb holders where the earlier ones were metal. What strikes me funny is why the Army would settle for plastic when they could have the best under their specs.

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
That is really cool. Never saw those out here. Not sure Mars had much of a market in the Northwest. What year would that bar have been in service? Late 70's early 80's?

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
Not only with the holders was saved. Even with the bulbs. I found a Skybolt with solide metal holders but without sealed beams.
The army used tiny metal mirrors and 21W bulbs with bayonet.
Mars Skybolt clear (2).JPG

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Nice!
Was the bar lately on the bay? May be for 450$ buy it now?

Spectrasystems with plastic bulb holders and the straight mirrors are Army spec.
On one of my I found this label:
Spectrasystem Army black -15a.jpg

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
That's very sharp! You've made it look like new! And now I know there was a mil-spec Spectrasystem and the regular version. Cool.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
We are all missing the bigger picture here...

IS that a Bricklin dealship sign?!?!?!?!? How in the... Where in the......

Reactions: kadetklapp

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.