Mc Dermott Light

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I almost forgot: Thanks to Steve Loftin of McLoud, OK who sent me these pix. Steve has worked for a couple of firetruck and ambulance builders over the years and has literally 1000s of photos of firetrucks and ambulances. A lot of these are posted on the Professional Car Society's (PCS) website.

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
Bob,

I put the Mcdermott light in front of the other projects. I just could not let it sit, so it is getting sandbalsted and powdercoated as we speak (opted not to go with the original chrome finish). I am hoping to get it back next week. The original wires are in great shape, but since I have it apart, I plan on re-wiring it. My friends at Napa are getting me an original flasher.

Love it when a plan comes together (A-Team).

Hum? M - light. Sounds like an interesting light. Another project?

Too much time on my hands.

Thanks again for the light.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Rich M. said:
Bob,

I put the Mcdermott light in front of the other projects. I just could not let it sit, so it is getting sandbalsted and powdercoated as we speak (opted not to go with the original chrome finish). I am hoping to get it back next week. The original wires are in great shape, but since I have it apart, I plan on re-wiring it. My friends at Napa are getting me an original flasher.

Love it when a plan comes together (A-Team).

Hum? M - light. Sounds like an interesting light. Another project?

Too much time on my hands.

Thanks again for the light.

Good luck on finding one, Rich. I haven't seen one loose in years. However, when Lubbock sold off the remaining two Pontiacs ( I got beat out in the auction), both of them had the lights and the 66G sirens removed. Could be that LFD still has them stuck away in a storeroom somewhere. Downside is that they moved from their original location close to 10 years ago to their present site. Don't know what they took or may have discarded. :no:

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
Skip,

You are right, the M light might be tough to find.

I guess I will target the Federal 044 for my next great find. For some reason, I like the flashing vintage lights a little morer than the revolving ones.

Perhaps it is more about the hunt.

R.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Rich M. said:
Skip,

You are right, the M light might be tough to find.

I guess I will target the Federal 044 for my next great find. For some reason, I like the flashing vintage lights a little morer than the revolving ones.

Perhaps it is more about the hunt.

R.

Well, you might call the Lubbock Fire Dept., it's an 806 area code. They have their own shop. Could be they may still have a couple of the old "M" lights around.....if, as I said, they got moved when the shop and administrative offices moved a few years ago. Flashing lights are just fine when done properly. A friend of mine who had a funeral home in Kermit, TX, had a '63 Buick station wagon amblance. It had a roofmounted siren with four Federal FS3 lights on top (two on each side of the siren) and a Federal 17 beacon in the rear. The FS3s, which were discontinued many years ago, were big 7 or 7 1/2" chromed single-faced red lights with 50 c.p. bulbs. Rather than using an alternating flashing, this one was set up with individual flashers on each light. Awesome flash pattern! When I worked at Rix Funeral Home in Odessa, our competitor, Chapel of the Roses, had done the same thing to their '59 Ford wagon. But instead of the FS3 lights, they used the DoRay lollipop lights: two on each side of the big Q siren, and a 17 in the rear. One time Chapel had gotten called first out on a traffic accident way out west. Two ambulances were needed and we got the second call. We actually caught up to them once we got on the highway. Our Pontiac wagon would outrun that Ford every time! Anway, my partner Bill was driving, and since Chapel was first out, we stayed behind them. Bill got momentarily "hypotized" by the funky flash pattern. Well, it did get our attention!!

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
I just finshed the McDermott light, which turned out fairly nice. I did not bring the light completely back to 100%, wanted to leave a little character from the past. The light in its original condition is shown in CFD125's post. It is the one that is creme with yellow showing through.

I did rewire the inside and added a new flasher.

On to the next project.

Rich

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Rich M. said:
I just finshed the McDermott light, which turned out fairly nice. I did not bring the light completely back to 100%, wanted to leave a little character from the past. The light in its original condition is shown in CFD125's post. It is the one that is creme with yellow showing through.

I did rewire the inside and added a new flasher.

On to the next project.

Rich

Nice: Now let us see it all lit up! :yes:

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
You got me on this one. Based on my search, this style of McDermott light is rare. It took me a long time to find this one. The only person I could find who would part with one of these was Board member CFD125.

This light would be a nice addition to any collection.

Since I got mine, another one just popped on this Board.

localhero800 said:
So, if i would happen to come upon 2 of these Mcdermott Lights with par46/36 bulbs and red lenses that were in 7-8/10 condition... What would they go for?

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
WOW!!! That looks great.

Uh...I changed my mind and don't want to sell it.. Please send it back to me!!!

Seriously, I'm very happy to see it go to a good home where it is appreciated.

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Howdy all......
haven't been here in awhile. I just bought a McDermott Circle beam from eBay. I plan on restoring it. Thanks for all the information.
On Long Island, Suffolk County in the 50's and 60's, a lot of departments used the Circle Beam Light on fire trucks and ambulances. My department, West Babylon used them exclusively. East Farmingdale had one on their 1957 ALF 100' ladder.
I have a lot of photos of this light, both on and off apparatus.

Reactions: Skulldigger

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
I have been in contact with someone at McDermott in New York....said they probably had a lens, but have not been responsive to any follow up emails. Would any of our esteemed Elightbar colleagues know of a phone number, email address or contact person there I might be able to talk to? I am restoring my Circle Beam light ( discovered its actual pat number is 812) and would like a new lens. It's going as a retirement gift to my brother and I would like to get it as close to new as possible.
The base and cover are being powder coated in chrome so it will look great-- if I can find a lens.
Contact me direct at my email address: brucewallace49@cox.net.
Thank you

deelony

May 23, 2010
LINY
Try and speak to Vernon McDermott. He is the owner of the business. I stopped in there a few years ago for some parts for my high rise light bar and he was more than helpful.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Where there other color lenses besides red available for these? Blue? Amber? Clear?

Tomhae

Apr 22, 2012
Roseville, CA
Along this thread; I found this one in an antique shop in Monterey CA. Price was $339. I can figure out which one for anybody that may be interested. It was there as of about a month ago...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 10

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
I have been in contact with someone at McDermott in New York....said they probably had a lens, but have not been responsive to any follow up emails. Would any of our esteemed Elightbar colleagues know of a phone number, email address or contact person there I might be able to talk to? I am restoring my Circle Beam light ( discovered its actual pat number is 812) and would like a new lens. It's going as a retirement gift to my brother and I would like to get it as close to new as possible.
The base and cover are being powder coated in chrome so it will look great-- if I can find a lens.
Contact me direct at my email address: brucewallace49@cox.net.
Thank you
UPDATE:
After a few calls to McDermott, they found the last red lens in stock and shipped it UPS (mistake). The package went from NY to Kansas, to Portland, Oregon, and back to Oklahoma and it actually got delivered. The light is assembled and working just fine. The powder coating and the new lens make it look like a factory finished light. I put a Tridon electronic alternating flasher inside and it operates just fine now.
It proudly sits on my desk now!

Attachments

• McDermott 2.jpg
    McDermott 2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 14

u387962

May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have one of these that is set up as a California light, it has a forward facing steady burn bulb while the side bulbs alternate with the rear bulb. The lense is red on the front and sides but clear in the rear with an amber bulb facing rearward. The lense is a the original one from the factory and has not been altered. I purchased it at the Pamona CA swap meet awhile back.

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
I have found a local plastic manufacturing company that says they can produce lenses for the McDermott Circle Beam lights. Going to meet with them this week.

Attachments

• 812 Circle Beam light.jpg
    812 Circle Beam light.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 4

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Some Suffolk Co dept with McDermotts

Attachments

• West Babylon 1958 GMC fire police.jpg
    West Babylon 1958 GMC fire police.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 21
  • WBFD 196 1968.jpg
    WBFD 196 1968.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 18
  • EFarmingdale old aerial.jpg
    EFarmingdale old aerial.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 16

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.