More from the junkyard

toolman247

Apr 29, 2011
USA NY
Made another trip to my favorite junk yard today and came home with an ambulance spec. MX7000. Also got a Vista with a built in arrowstick.

The MX had one high speed rotator and a 1157 bulb. Did some scrounging and found a standard gear and S795 bulb and all is good. The lens have 170K miles of road rash. One started to clean up good and will polish as time permits.

The Vista the gears rattle and is missing the bulbs from the canter two oscillating lights. The lens are in good condition with minor scuffing. I did not get the arrowstick tested tonight.

Also grabbed a Moto M1225 VHF 4Ch. too.

1380378134064.jpg

1397952070954.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
toolman247 said:
Made another trip to my favorite junk yard today and came home with an ambulance spec. MX7000. Also got a Vista with a built in arrowstick.

The MX had one high speed rotator and a 1157 bulb. Did some scrounging and found a standard gear and S795 bulb and all is good. The lens have 170K miles of road rash. One started to clean up good and will polish as time permits.

The Vista the gears rattle and is missing the bulbs from the canter two oscillating lights. The lens are in good condition with minor scuffing. I did not get the arrowstick tested tonight.

Also grabbed a Moto M1225 VHF 4Ch. too.

I've had more than my share of Vistas and they always rattle. Put a little gear lube in and will take care of that. And still have tons of parts left kicking around.

Why change the hi-speed in the mx7k?

Nothing wrong with hi-speed.

toolman247

Apr 29, 2011
USA NY
the high speed was at the passengers side rotator and just looks funny at the time. I have a handful of the high speed gears. Might do the two center ones or do thee whole light including the intersection lights.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Pm sent

Got some blue domes redone if you need blue.

toolman247

Apr 29, 2011
USA NY
lotsofbars said:
Whoa, an old Menter ambulance? They're based out of Fulton. You live in Oswego or Onondaga county?

Negative on both. When I was active I lived in Madison County. Now I am in Oneida County. I regularly go to this yard and scout around for "light gold". I have some more on my radar that I need to try and save from the crusher.

Stay tuned the is a part 3 coming. Just don't Know when yet. :D

Oh check out whet I found in the back set aside for the spring cleaning. I think these are old City of Syracuse, NY ALF's.

1397916076956.jpg

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
toolman247 said:
Negative on both. When I was active I lived in Madison County. Now I am in Oneida County. I regularly go to this yard and scout around for "light gold". I have some more on my radar that I need to try and save from the crusher.

Stay tuned the is a part 3 coming. Just don't Know when yet. :D

Oh check out whet I found in the back set aside for the spring cleaning. I think these are old City of Syracuse, NY ALF's.

Nice find. Also the old hearse sitting there. Doubt there's anything light related in it though. Were you able to inspect the ALF's, or just from where you took the picture from?

Was there an auto eject on the ambulance? I'd like to find another one for my department.

Jordan,TCFD

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Jordan said:
Nice find. Also the old hearse sitting there. Doubt there's anything light related in it though. Were you able to inspect the ALF's, or just from where you took the picture from?

Was there an auto eject on the ambulance? I'd like to find another one for my department.

Jordan,TCFD

Boy, have you got good eyes, Jordan. I almost missed that old big Caddie. Had to go back and look! Do you still have that old M&M that was your dad's?

After another look, that old coach looks like it might've been a combo, so there's a chance it could've had a 17D beacon and maybe a 28 under hood.

toolman247

Apr 29, 2011
USA NY
Skip Goulet said:
Boy, have you got good eyes, Jordan. I almost missed that old big Caddie. Had to go back and look! Do you still have that old M&M that was your dad's?

After another look, that old coach looks like it might've been a combo, so there's a chance it could've had a 17D beacon and maybe a 28 under hood.

Skip,

If I get back out there soon I will check, but I do not think it served as a patient transport car. Our area had moved more to the larger Type I, II's and III's. Now you have my own interest peaked to explore the coach.

Tim

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
toolman247 said:
Skip,
If I get back out there soon I will check, but I do not think it served as a patient transport car. Our area had moved more to the larger Type I, II's and III's. Now you have my own interest peaked to explore the coach.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. Despite the black color, a lot of those old Cadillacs were combination cars, and this one is the limo style...with rear windows and not landau bars. When I was young, the local funeral homes ran station wagons or sedan-deliveries as their first-out ambulances, and used combinations as their coaches that also served as backup ambulances. Those generally had an underhood siren of some sort and quite often the detachable 17D beacon. However, I've seen some that had the underhood siren and only red lights behind the grille. A lot of those old coaches would have some interesting stories behind them.....and I could tell a few, too.

If I remember correctly, Tim, the concept of the small rescue squads and VFDs also running ambulance service originated in your part of the country, and was something quite rare down this way, except in a few small towns. In the small town of Andrews, TX, about 35 mi. north of me, when their funeral home gave up the ambulance business in the late '60s, the police dept took over, initially using a '69 low top Superior Ford Econoline van, and then low top Suburbans. Now that many of the local vollies are also EMTs and Paramedics, they take up a lot of the slack for the cops, but officially the PD still runs EMS. The joke around Andrews used to be: "If you need a cop in a hurry, call for an ambulance.":yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.