Movies & Television: Police, Fire & EMS Vehicles

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I've been watching Hunter (on Huluplus), and just noticed that a few episodes into season 5 they switched to California steady burn windshield lights on Hunter's and McCalls's cars.  This is also the season the show used Parker Center and accurattly refered to it as the Glass House, as well as ID'ing themselves as LAPD instead of Metro Police.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
1951 Studebaker Champion from the "Batman and Robin" film. It's a AeroVectorC4ic  :rotfl:

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8181_7973554604_9a4270d749_b.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8459_7973578524_43c8149d5a_b.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8029_7973573204_d2d671980e_b.jpg
I loved the movie and remember that car, but I never spotted those two EG sirens up on the bar. With all the sounds dubbed in, I don't think I would've ever noticed.

My first impression was Sireno.
I agree that it's a Sireno, and that's a C5G siren up front.

Another classic show I haven't seen mentioned is the forerunner to "Emergency!".......Rescue 8 with Jim Davis.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
attachicon.gif
Screenshot_2014-08-04-18-28-36.pngDoes this count? Ghostbusters
Of course it counts, but that's not the original Ecto-1. The original had a C5GB siren up behind the Code 3 bar.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Lol I just grabbed the pic from google images. Its probably someones rebuild of the ecto-1
That looks a lot like the one my friend Dean Newman in Tucson has. He's had it to a lot of PCS meets and other car shows over the years.

Some more recent TV pics...
Seeing the "61" on that ambulance tells me that's from the super-good show on NBC, "Chicago Fire" that's unfortunately still in summer hiatus.

It's replacement, "Night Shift" that centers around a busy San Antonio ER was super, but it's also gone.

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Truck 66 is in the spare rig lot at Concord & Throop Streets. Truck 81 and Squad 3 are pics taken inside Cinespace and the made up firehouse built to scale of the real CFD E-18. The pic of all four rigs on the bridge is from the pilot episode (note tint film on the ambo's led lights).   

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Truck 66 is in the spare rig lot at Concord & Throop Streets. Truck 81 and Squad 3 are pics taken inside Cinespace and the made up firehouse built to scale of the real CFD E-18. The pic of all four rigs on the bridge is from the pilot episode (note tint film on the ambo's led lights).   
I've wondered if they used real stations for taping that show.  Emergency's episodes were shot at a real, but vacated, station.   I had wondered if that was the case with this show.  Now I know.

As I mention above, "Night Shift" is supposed to take place in San Antonio, although the hospital scenes are staged, I'd guess, somewhere other than San Antonio.   Some of the outside shots could very well be near San Antonio, but I still wonder....they way they do things nowadays.

That was one of my favorite shows!
Mine, too, Dan.  I was about 13 when that one came out.  My friend Joe Ortiz in California leases vintage emergency vehicles to the movie studios. He has the original Rescue 8 panel truck. Got to see it when I was at his place in 2001!  You wouldn't believe some of the history he has on his lot.

You can imagine how excited I was in the '70s when Emergency! first debuted!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boomerjinks

Feb 25, 2011
Colorado
Gaaaah, at least post a pic of the original car, not that botched Universal Studios clone!

ai.imgur.com_upbnnfV.jpg

Photo by me!

ROBOCOP, new and old:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Specials/RoboCopMovie/RoboCop3.jpg

ai.imgur.com_Aod4gR2.jpg

The second one barely got ANY screentime, instead he just rode around on that boring bike. Grr!

S.H.I.E.L.D. Acura from Avengers and the Marvel tv show (photo again by me)

ath04.deviantart.net_fs70_PRE_f_2014_112_4_8_s_h_i_e_l_d__mdx_1f161c25f9675ed46a242ac7bc5a032f.jpg

PROMETHEUS Rover

aimg2.wikia.nocookie.net___cb20120505064946_alienanthology_images_6_66_Newrt01.jpg

God what a shit movie, though.

Lawmaster from DREDD

ablogdesuperheroes.es_wp_content_plugins_BdSGallery_BdSGaleria_9139.jpg

DREDD trucks

a2000ad.files.wordpress.com_2011_01_mega_city_one_justice_department_trucks_dredd_2012_01.jpg

Screw it, the vehicles in the 90s Dredd were pretty awesome, too!

aoldconceptcars.com_wp_content_uploads_land_rover_city_cab_concept_3.jpg

Warner Bros. had SO MANY vics made for the Nolan BATMAN films.

a2.bp.blogspot.com__MA6Z2a6_2II_TpHxySYQ0QI_AAAAAAAAB2c_pEvBzTefl4Q_s1600_IMG_2142.JPG

Hilux from DISTRICT 9

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s128_motorzen_forum_pix_Picture7_1.png

IDIOCRACY had some hilarious GEMcars

[Broken External Image]:http://www.imcdb.org/i077619.jpg

The BACK TO THE FUTURE police car was my favorite micromachine as a kid.

amedia.liveauctiongroup.net_i_8577_9891585_2.jpg

The taxis had some fun light stuff going on, too.

awww.aussiefrogs.com_forum_attachments_citro_EBn_forum_16632d1cb5da27f1d089fe9778a6fc937139f2a.jpg

There's always SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT!

aimage.highperformancepontiac.com_f_events_1403_interview_withd5f55517e9bb642591b313b9c80a6ebb.jpg

BLUES BROTHERS 74 Monaco... mmmm

ai.imgur.com_ziXH1rL.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I've been wondering if someone would mention Sugarland Express!  One of my all-time favorite movies.   I love the way the DPS dispatcher drawls his dispatches. Sounded just like a friend of mine who dispatched for them here many years ago.  I intended to say something when this thread started, but I don't have any pix from the movie like above.

Reactions: Mndlm and LRGJr72

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Watching Bullitt. Ambulance, International stepvan, with Sireno siren.

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/rubesgirl/FireEMS/ambulance_zps80647313.jpg[/URL]

1968 Cadillac Superior, with roof mounted Q.

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/rubesgirl/FireEMS/images_zps3cdb4108.jpg[/URL]

Later in the flick, Bullitt finds the dead girl in a hotel in San Mateo. Police car rolls up, some sort of rotator, with steady red light mounted on the base of the light. Trying to find that one.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/rubesgirl/FireEMS/ambulance_zps80647313.jpg[/URL]

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/rubesgirl/FireEMS/images_zps3cdb4108.jpg[/URL]

Later in the flick, Bullitt finds the dead girl in a hotel in San Mateo. Police car rolls up, some sort of rotator, with steady red light mounted on the base of the light. Trying to find that one.
There was also an International Travelall ambulance in movie.  It had a four beam rotary beacon on the roof.   I couldn't quite make out the light, but it looked like a Federal 184 Power Light. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX

One of my most favorite movies ever. As many times as I've seen tht movie, I don't think I ever noticed the twin low band whip antennas on the front of the Caddie ambulance.

My favorite scene is where the bad guys spin out of control in the final chase scene and then crash and burn.   My best friend and I saw something like that for real when we were still in college at Texas Tech.  One night we had just gotten out of the car at one of our favorite late-night retaurants when we hear a screech of tires at a busy intersection just across from where we were standing. This was a "y" type intersection and these (as it turned out) drunk kids in a small Plymouth convertible hit the intersection and slammed on their brakes at the last possible second. They went into a spin, eventually hitting a light standard and then coming to an abrupt halt.  My friend and I stood there watching all of that, and we saw it all in slow motion!  The thought that went through both of our minds was, "Oh sh**t! They're gonna crash and burn."  They crashed all right, but didn't burn.  They both had minor injuries and were transported to an ER two blocks away.  They were soooo drunk that they didn't even realize that they were standing there bleeding until my friend and I started first aid until the ambulance got there.

There was also an International Travelall ambulance in movie.  It had a four beam rotary beacon on the roof.   I couldn't quite make out the light, but it looked like a Federal 184 Power Light. 
I remember the big Metro van above, but I don't really remember the TravelAll, and I should, since we had a TravelAll ambulance back about that time.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
What was with Boss Hogg in that video?

CS.jpg

Reactions: Skippy

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Gaaaah, at least post a pic of the original car, not that botched Universal Studios clone!

ai.imgur.com_upbnnfV.jpg

Photo by me!

ROBOCOP, new and old:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Specials/RoboCopMovie/RoboCop3.jpg

ai.imgur.com_Aod4gR2.jpg

The second one barely got ANY screentime, instead he just rode around on that boring bike. Grr!

S.H.I.E.L.D. Acura from Avengers and the Marvel tv show (photo again by me)

ath04.deviantart.net_fs70_PRE_f_2014_112_4_8_s_h_i_e_l_d__mdx_1f161c25f9675ed46a242ac7bc5a032f.jpg

PROMETHEUS Rover

aimg2.wikia.nocookie.net___cb20120505064946_alienanthology_images_6_66_Newrt01.jpg

God what a shit movie, though.

Lawmaster from DREDD

ablogdesuperheroes.es_wp_content_plugins_BdSGallery_BdSGaleria_9139.jpg

DREDD trucks

a2000ad.files.wordpress.com_2011_01_mega_city_one_justice_department_trucks_dredd_2012_01.jpg

Screw it, the vehicles in the 90s Dredd were pretty awesome, too!

aoldconceptcars.com_wp_content_uploads_land_rover_city_cab_concept_3.jpg

Warner Bros. had SO MANY vics made for the Nolan BATMAN films.

a2.bp.blogspot.com__MA6Z2a6_2II_TpHxySYQ0QI_AAAAAAAAB2c_pEvBzTefl4Q_s1600_IMG_2142.JPG

Hilux from DISTRICT 9

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s128_motorzen_forum_pix_Picture7_1.png

IDIOCRACY had some hilarious GEMcars

[Broken External Image]:http://www.imcdb.org/i077619.jpg

The BACK TO THE FUTURE police car was my favorite micromachine as a kid.

amedia.liveauctiongroup.net_i_8577_9891585_2.jpg

The taxis had some fun light stuff going on, too.

awww.aussiefrogs.com_forum_attachments_citro_EBn_forum_16632d1cb5da27f1d089fe9778a6fc937139f2a.jpg

There's always SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT!

aimage.highperformancepontiac.com_f_events_1403_interview_withd5f55517e9bb642591b313b9c80a6ebb.jpg

BLUES BROTHERS 74 Monaco... mmmm

ai.imgur.com_ziXH1rL.jpg
Who's the dude sitting in the back seat in of Gleason's Sheriff car? Newer saw that before!

I've been watching Hunter (on Huluplus), and just noticed that a few episodes into season 5 they switched to California steady burn windshield lights on Hunter's and McCalls's cars.  This is also the season the show used Parker Center and accurattly refered to it as the Glass House, as well as ID'ing themselves as LAPD instead of Metro Police.
They did that all the time in that show, one minute Hunter would be running a tear drop and the next scene it would be a strobe!

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I noticed this ambulance watching an episode of Starsky & Hutch. Then I remembered that I've seen numerous ambulances from 70s TV shows that had red & blue lights. Was this ever a common color combo for medic units in California? Sure seems like it.

photo.PNG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
watch the hotshot appear, disappear, flash white in some shots with what looks like a firebeam  ultrflalsh mirror

disappear again, turn into a tear drop, and then magicaly a cadet....

got to love Hollywood.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I noticed this ambulance watching an episode of Starsky & Hutch. Then I remembered that I've seen numerous ambulances from 70s TV shows that had red & blue lights. Was this ever a common color combo for medic units in California? Sure seems like it.
If I remember correctly, what I've heard is that blue was not allowed on medic units at all in California and that it's just been in relatively recent years that blue has been allowed on law enforcement units.  Nice looking van either way, though.

There's a thread on this board where colors are discussed that you might want to check out.  I've mentioned a couple of times that blue is allowed in TX as an auxiliary color, since red is the prescribed warning light color here.  But a volunteer fire chief friend of mine (now retired) had problems with Texas DPS trying to tell him that blue is reserved for law enforcement in TX.  However, it's not, and he managed to get that in writing from the state.   Prior to his getting it all in writing DPS was stopping his units even on emergency runs because they had blue in conjunction with existing red.

watch the hotshot appear, disappear, flash white in some shots with what looks like a firebeam  ultrflalsh mirror

disappear again, turn into a tear drop, and then magicaly a cadet....

got to love Hollywood.

I had a nice old '94 Caprice LT1 that had been a cop car and then a taxi and had mega-miles on it when I got it. But it ran well and got good gas mileage.

Reactions: LRGJr72

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.