MSP Charger With half breed Beacons..................................

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
lafd55 said:
Tradition man. They have been passing those lights down and down for a long time. Can't mistake a MSP for anyone else once you see that light on top.

These lights have only been around since late 2008 / 2009. They want a LED beacon, no problem, go with a cheaper one that doesn't have to be built from parts.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
badge22 said:
These lights have only been around since late 2008 / 2009. They want a LED beacon, no problem, go with a cheaper one that doesn't have to be built from parts.

I meant the single chrome base beacons that they have, the current style has been around, for what, over twenty years. I know they switched to LEDs but it's the age of LED, and I don't see them breaking tradition. Not to mention not one Michigan car has ever had a full lightbar, that i have ever seen..

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
I would weep on the day an MSP Blue Goose has a full lightbar; same if the shark-fin on the hood disappeared or if they changed to a different shade of blue. Yes, adapt with time; but time-honored traditions this unique should be cherished.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Every nite while coming home from work I get to see one of these over priced beacons in action

and once again the talons in the back window are brighter then the beacon, good thing they

wig wags if not I would think it was a tow truck behind me at night. Michigan has been known

to spend money that they don't have and line the pockets of the friends of the law makers.

Most of Michigans stuff is leased at a very high cost from a friend of a friend in Lansing/

just sating

Jim Rogers

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
jprleedy4680 said:
I would weep on the day an MSP Blue Goose has a full lightbar; same if the shark-fin on the hood disappeared or if they changed to a different shade of blue. Yes, adapt with time; but time-honored traditions this unique should be cherished.
You didn't say you'd weep if they used a different kind of beacon on the roof. :p

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
I've had quite the opposite experience. When I was doing my clinicals, we were en route to a MVA. A trooper was responding at least a half-mile ahead of us, and the new beacon stood out like a lighthouse next to the Talons. I've also encountered my local post out on the freeway, and I thought the beacon was sufficiently bright.

I do wish they had more forward warning, though. Put a pair of TIR6 500's in the grille and Ion or 500 Linear MirrorBeams, and I think it world be a killer set-up.

Just my $0.02

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Aside from our opinions of style, is this really enough to protect the officer, and the traveling public for that matter, while responding or requesting the right-of-way when it is most important?

Personally, I don't care for the look, but aside from our fascination with lighting, is this setup a good mix of effective & safe?

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
What is the purpose of the shark fin?

Oh and also, that was a MAJOR spike strip FAIL in that one vid!!!!!

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
The shark fin dates back to the 30's? when the troops would pull along side of the vehicle, and activate the light in the fin, which reads "STOP" with state police on either side of the "stop."

I do not know if the current ones still light up, but they remain on the cars today as tradition.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
jprleedy4680 said:
The shark fin dates back to the 30's? when the troops would pull along side of the vehicle, and activate the light in the fin, which reads "STOP" with state police on either side of the "stop."

I do not know if the current ones still light up, but they remain on the cars today as tradition.

They do light up. It sucks for resell value of the car thought when you have like six small holes in the hood...

Detroit VAP

Jan 16, 2011
US Michigan
JGG said:
If you notice, those Henry Ford cars have four TIR3s drilled into the base of the RV26s. Interesting.

The TIR3s are amber for driving thru their lots so they can be seen. I have only seen them turned on at the upfitters shop.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
jprleedy4680 said:

Oh yes, and light up they do!!!! :D

I agree with Deputychief, the LED beacon is no more than a blinking red light. Easily mistaken for a brake light or turn signal if seen from a distance in your rear view mirror, and the flash pattern is too slow for a fast moving goose. Two troopers were responding to a call outside our city and I was stopped at our busiest red light with a bunch of other cars. (It was dark), The frist troop car came up behind us and turned on just his beacon to get through the light and not one car moved or seemed to notice. The flashing light mimicked the red flashing light of the traffic signal. The second troop came up behind us and turned on the rotating beacon, and that bright swooping pink light moved the path quickly. No siren was even needed at that point.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Detroit VAP said:
The TIR3s are amber for driving thru their lots so they can be seen. I have only seen them turned on at the upfitters shop.
Thanks! That makes sense, but an obvious waste of money since they don't use them. Not that I blame them, either. But, in similar fashion, an LED takedown and LED alleys could be mounted on the beacon housing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the flash pattern is, uh, just a little sad. I hadn't seen the rotator pattern before; interesting. I have to say, the LED beacons definitely appeared bright (and brighter than the rotator) in the videos. Still, nothing says MSP like the Unity Spitfires.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
At 3:40 you hear the radio traffic between a Sheriff and MSP where they are coming to a County line and the Sheriff lets the MSP become lead in this pursuit.

You see how bright that mofo is on the roof of the Charger!

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
Zapp Brannigan said:
At 3:40 you hear the radio traffic between a Sheriff and MSP where they are coming to a County line and the Sheriff lets the MSP become lead in this pursuit.

You see how bright that mofo is on the roof of the Charger!

Love how that charger just blows by the CV.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I got a good picture of it when I was in detroit few weeks ago.

I like the old style better even if it,s less efficient

ai779.photobucket.com_albums_yy77_2004_p71_Detroit_202012_20motor_20city_20madness_DSC08252.jpg

ai779.photobucket.com_albums_yy77_2004_p71_Detroit_202012_20motor_20city_20madness_DSC08254.jpg

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
The post in my city has one slicktop charger and one with the old style unity, not led YET. It looks badass with the sealed beams!

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
7d9_z28 said:
The post in my city has one slicktop charger and one with the old style unity, not led YET. It looks badass with the sealed beams!

1. Grab your camera or phone camera

2. Go to your local post.

3. GET PICS OF THAT CHARGER WITH THE UNITY !!!!!!

4. Post pics here.

5. We all can enjoy those pics.

Thank you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.