My 2007 Toyota Tacoma Safety Vehicle.

Sierra117

Mar 31, 2011
CA, USA
Have you considered adding an opticom emitter? Would really help with getting to those scenes faster. And not to mention just in case you need to have it for CERT or something.

kjf101

Mar 12, 2011
USA NH
EMS10EMT said:
An unafilliated DOT certified first responder who does traffic control, parking, fire rehab, and has lights "just in case?"

Like HILO, I have no clue what Florida is like but Im heading to the microwave.

Don't worry what other people say. Your install looks good and if I stopped on a scene I would want some warning lights also.

Kevin

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
Sierra117 said:
Have you considered adding an opticom emitter? Would really help with getting to those scenes faster. And not to mention just in case you need to have it for CERT or something.

There is No reason for a CERT member to need an opticom, at all. Nothing they do should have a life/death outcome but the minute or two an opticom might save.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
CACBAND said:
There is No reason for a CERT member to need an opticom, at all. Nothing they do should have a life/death outcome but the minute or two an opticom might save.

Really? I think its a valid thought.

Trisdisp57

Jun 4, 2011
Long Island, NY
Opticom would make getting to those scenes easier.. and it would definitely help with side work as security getting from one parking lot to another the cool way... :undecided:

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
HILO said:
Really? I think its a valid thought.

Why should a CERT member have one? I really don't see the point of someone with a minimum of training, no police powers, no true EMS training (other than first-aid) to need to get past a red light?

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
CACBAND said:
Why should a CERT member have one? I really don't see the point of someone with a minimum of training, no police powers, no true EMS training (other than first-aid) to need to get past a red light?

Psst... they were making a joke! :thumbsup:

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
CACBAND said:

Agreed. However, to play devils advocate, many metro bus systems have them on busses. I believe they (the opticom or control box) can be programmed with a lower preferential right of way. Ie an authorized emergency vehicle with Opticom has a higher level of right of way over the bus and the signal pretty much changes instantly. With the bus, it won't change the signal immediately but shortens the signal. I could see that possibly...possibly being useful for this situation but closer to not being probable. That is my understanding from one of my district chiefs. It makes sense but I still think traffic preemption should only be for fire, EMS, police (public safety personnel).

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
Klein said:
Agreed. However, to play devils advocate, many metro bus systems have them on busses. I believe they (the opticom or control box) can be programmed with a lower preferential right of way. Ie an authorized emergency vehicle with Opticom has a higher level of right of way over the bus and the signal pretty much changes instantly. With the bus, it won't change the signal immediately but shortens the signal. I could see that possibly...possibly being useful for this situation but closer to not being probable. That is my understanding from one of my district chiefs. It makes sense but I still think traffic preemption should only be for fire, EMS, police (public safety personnel).

Yeah some buses do have them (thank god not around here). Your understanding of it is the same as mine, and I disagree with it too. Why should being on a bus get you some were faster than a car?

mhayhurstjr

Sep 18, 2011
Benson NC
Hey Guys thanks for the comments. I have already changed out the plait lights to better lights .Also I have the same amount in the front as I do in the back now. As far as the Opticom, Defiantly don't need that. I do need some ideas for the side lighting though. Toyota is not an easy vehicle for lights and wiring.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RETFFMedic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.