My dept took delivery of a new Caprice!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
k9cop116 said:
but I hear they are going with the uber-gay Jotto-desk console that mounts to the glove-box area.

WTF??? Pics/link/manuf page?

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Jotto FAIL! Not just because of the passenger restrictions already cited, but because it seems as though the driver would have to reach and/or lean forward to operate any equipment mounted there. Lame.

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
I know its actually decigned for the 9C3 Caprice, which apparently has the conventional civilian style center console....but its still kinda odd.

It may be a 'fail" for jotto....but its a bigger "FAIL" for my departments service center....why buy that for our Caprice, which has the 9C1 console.......

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Cookie_Monster.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
WoW!!! Jotto dropped the ball on that one... What happens if there is a collision...? The passengers left knee is completely effed... and his "mid-section" is in extreme danger... LOL

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
They are still waiting on some equipment to arrive...but they should have the car on the road by the end of the week....I'll post good daylight pics when its done of the int / ext. This is the only one we are getting for now....it'll be the test mule. We are also eventually getting the new Ford car and SUV (one each)...then the bean-counters will decide what we go with for the rest of the fleet.

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
k9cop116 said:
They are still waiting on some equipment to arrive...but they should have the car on the road by the end of the week....I'll post good daylight pics when its done of the int / ext. This is the only one we are getting for now....it'll be the test mule. We are also eventually getting the new Ford car and SUV (one each)...then the bean-counters will decide what we go with for the rest of the fleet.

I say that someone gets into an "accident" with the 9C1 so that way they see that that console is crap.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
DAMMIT i hope our chief does not buy that fail for our new caprice Knowing him he will.........

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
nut+cup.jpg

Standard issue?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
k9cop116 said:
My best friend is gay and I know we have several here on the board. I expect more from service members and am offended and saddened by your first two posts in this thread!

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Jennifer Rose Towing said:
My best friend is gay and I know we have several here on the board. I expect more from service members and am offended and saddened by your first two posts in this thread!

Sensitivity...get less of it.

Back on topic, that console is creative but seems extremely inconvenient!!!

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
I've given this much thought....and after drafting several sever different versions of a reply...I have decided to defer to the moderators on this one. If they feel my use of the word "gay or gayness" was made with specific malice towards the homosexual community, then they should delete my comments...warn me against such actions...and lock this thread. If they feel that my use of the word was more in line with innocent humor...then let it ride.

BTW...the original definition of "GAY" referred to being happy, lively, bright and such. It was only later on that the homosexual reference came into play. On that same note....it more recently became common to use the word to define something stupid or unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Why wouldn't they just use the 9C1 console??? That sucks dude. Sometimes it would nice if the people that are buying equipment would ask the people that have to live with it what they want...

Jennifer Rose Towing said:
Seriously OP, pick a different phrase. Especially in your line of work!

Really? You're going pull that card? Get over it. Maybe you should be telling others what not to call cops...

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
108FP1 said:
Since when is "gay" derrogatory? The gays picked the word gay in the first place.

I prefer to call things ghey anyways.

The word "gay" isn't derogatory in and of itself.

The problem is when the word is used to describe something unrelated that the person thinks is stupid or otherwise undesirable.

If I said: "Man, those cars suck, they're so canadian" would you think it's reasonable that a Canadian would find offense in that?

Perhaps it has to do with the highly diverse communities that I serve, but when the word "gay" was used earlier in the thread it stuck out and I too became concerned that someone in a position of public trust would consider its use acceptable.

I'm not going to tell someone I don't know on a message board what they can and can't say. I will however make assessments of individuals, especially ones that chose to use a word in a manner that is so widely considered to be offensive.

$0.02

Anyhooo..... I'm still waiting to see a new Caprice in person. I have no idea which way my department is going to go with our next purchase, but I'd like to at least be familiar with the different options.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Haha! I've actually used Canadian as a slur before, substituting it in place of the horrible N word that no one is allowed to say......

But I'm not racist! Really, I have Canadian friends!

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
It sounds to me like some folks need to have a little thicker skin if they want to hang out around here. "Gay" is one of the least offensive words i have seen on here.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
108FP1 said:
Haha! I've actually used Canadian as a slur before, substituting it in place of the horrible N word that no one is allowed to say......

But I'm not racist! Really, I have Canadian friends!

Hmmm, must be a nationwide slur.... hear it here as well.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Ok so first off, what does the department plan on mounting on/in the 9C1 console or do they want a large writing surface?!

Second, I understand both sides of the gay argument you are having. I have close friends that are homosexual. I even used to know one guy who was a closet heterosexual!!! He claimed to be gay but was always trying to hook up with this one girl, lolol. Everything has different perspectives and different cultures have a lot to do with it. For example, in England smoking a cigarette is know as "dragging a fag" but in certain other places that has a whole other meaning, and it's not friendly at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
patrol530 said:
Amazing how the thread went from consoles to closets.

sounds like a good name for a upfitting/home remodeling company...

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
The installation of the "uber-______" console has started...(so as to not offend anyone...please insert your favorite word in the blank...but for the love of God keep it to yourself)

[Broken External Image]:http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/tompatterson18/IMG_5475.jpg

to answer someones question...I dont know why they chose that one. Not sure if was a freebie or what. Not my place to question at this point because it doesnt affect me one way or another....the car will be assigned to a single Deputy, and he'll provide feedback to them about the car and equipment.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Gew! :no: Hope he has long arms! That thing would definatly suck sitting on the passenger side.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
OMG. That is terrible. I fail to see the point for that style of console. And I think the OP was correct in his first assesment.....Seeing that console makes me want to look at picture of penisis on the interwebs to get the image out of my brain.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Hopefully, they hook the horn ring up for the siren, otherwise, as RONCO says "set it and forget it".... Too far to be reaching while running code.

And, if you think I'm wrong, go to your car now and try and get something from your glove box while sitting mostly upright, or focusing 'on the road'.

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
Hoff said:
Gew! :no: Hope he has long arms! That thing would definatly suck sitting on the passenger side.

Sadly...he's one of the smallest guys we have on patrol (I hope the use of the word "smallest"doesnt offend anyone....I simply mean that he is non-large) )

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
HILO said:
OMG. That is terrible. I fail to see the point for that style of console. And I think the OP was correct in his first assesment.....Seeing that console makes me want to look at picture of penisis on the interwebs to get the image out of my brain.

Careful there HILO....there are some mightly sensitive folks on here....you might offend someone or make them sad

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
I saw some of our new Caprices last night at the garage too. They are small, smaller than the Charger and MUCH smaller than the old Caprice. It'll be interesting to see how my department crams all of our crap into them. My current cruiser has the radio, siren controller, full size Toughbook, electronic ticket machine and a camera installed. We'll see how it fits...

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
Do you know how they reached there decision to buy a caprice? I have looked at the pice tag and I can buy a 2 wheel tahoe ppv for less money than a caprice and the v-6 model will be the same price as the v-8. The depatments that have bought the caprice say it is taking about 7 months between them ordering the car and recieving it.

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
fleetcomm said:
Do you know how they reached there decision to buy a caprice? I have looked at the pice tag and I can buy a 2 wheel tahoe ppv for less money than a caprice and the v-6 model will be the same price as the v-8. The depatments that have bought the caprice say it is taking about 7 months between them ordering the car and recieving it.

No clue....except for all the talk about public opinion....seeing us riding around in "fancy SUV's"...even if they posted the cost comparison...and all the other "pros" to going with the tahoe on the front page of the paper, there'd still be folks complaining about us getting SUV's.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
k9cop116 said:
No clue....except for all the talk about public opinion....seeing us riding around in "fancy SUV's"...even if they posted the cost comparison...and all the other "pros" to going with the tahoe on the front page of the paper, there'd still be folks complaining about us getting SUV's.

Funny you should mention that about the Tahoes. The last base I was at was getting rid of all theirs because it was a "status" vehicle. Aparently it made the cops look too rich.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.