My Federal Visibar build

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Way to Go!! Sweet bar .... :)

I remember back in the 90's a local dept had a dodge demon drag car (was a special thing for rasing money for kids programs) and were looking for a visabar.. made a few calls and FS donated NOS visabar still wrappedin plastic from their warehouse!!

they really are a bad a$$ looking lightbar... :yes: :thumbsup:

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
well not quite, its hard to tell in the shadows of the speaker. check out this one on e-bay #321052167420. it really doesn't matter too much as long as you're close and happy with it!

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Captain4164 said:
Our UPS driver has an assistant thats been riding a mountain bike pulling a little trailer. They park a trailer in the shopping center behind our house, and the bike guy rides thru the neighborhood delivering packages, the reloads and delivers more.

Well it was quite a sight to see him with the big box on his trailer that contained this:

I'm surprised this hasn't been said, but is that paper taped to those light. :sadcry:

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Last edited by a moderator:

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
dmathieu said:
Nick, at one time, I think you mentioned putting 7" lollipop lights on the bar. I have some NOS ones if interested, some blue, and some red.

Yeah,Dan, Im not sure if Im doing that on this one or now, now that I have this speaker.. Im still thinking about it... :undecided: I saw yours and I like em. I bought a pair off ebay and got em, real nice, they are signal stat. I know I need a set for the Dietz bar, with the two 7-40s.

Ill keep yours in mind, hopefully you still have em when I figure it out and have some funds available. Thanks

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Nick, the gray would look good on the speaker; but I might also suggest using SparVar or Krylon's bright silver. While it isn't a true chrome, it would look nice on the speaker and on the bar. Let me look which I have a chance: I think I may have one of those little "bicycle spoke" antennas like Eric's. If I do it would be w/o the mount.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Spent today in my garage taking the Visibar apart and working on it.

Took me two quarters of the 49er/Falcon game on satellite radio to polish, well not really polish, but to get all the calcium and grease off the bar. I used CLR and a spray stainless steel cleaner to get it to this point. Then each light was taken apart and de greased. What are the bases of Model 11 lights, aluminum or stainless?? These have quite a grain to them, almost like wood, so Im thinking stainless. They are gonna need some good polishing, as is the bar. The light bases cleaned up easily and now look good. The bar feet had red paint overspray which was taken off with steel wool, and lots of calcium at the mounts to the bar. The chain, I just thought I didnt take any pics of the chain, is in really good condition. It was caked heavy with dried up grease, as was the chain shelf, so I took the shelf out also and de greased it really good and soaked the chain in degreaser all day. Way too many pics to post on here so take a look at the last 25 pics in my Photobucket account.

Federal Model 11 Visi Bar Photos by Captain4164 | Photobucket

Let me know what ya think so far

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Clarence H said:
when you strip off the paint, you will see it's a light grey. I have one of the later 100 watt versions of the CJ speaker, and it is black from the factory.

Clarence

Yes, the few places I tried to sand, and eventually did scrape some paint off, it is indeed light grey, thats the color I wanted to redo it to.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Captain4164 said:
I love seeing it apart like that cleaned up and ready for polishing! :thumbsup: Great job, have fun with the chain! ;)

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
JennyCop said:
I love seeing it apart like that cleaned up and ready for polishing! :thumbsup: Great job, have fun with the chain! ;)

Speaking of chains, lol. I have a good post regarding chains in the near future! Stay tuned...........he, he,he

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
JennyCop said:

Thanks Jenny, Yeah I was contemplating not taking it apart after hearing the stories about getting it back on, but with the amount of grease I figured it would be worth it.

BTW, hows that MARS bar adjusting to its new home??

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Captain4164 said:
Thanks Jenny, Yeah I was contemplating not taking it apart after hearing the stories about getting it back on, but with the amount of grease I figured it would be worth it.

BTW, hows that MARS bar adjusting to its new home??
It will definitely be worth it I am sure. :yes: I am not looking forward to taking mine apart to clean and polish. I restored a friends and that chain was no fun and fustrating.

The MARS bar has not made it home yet, but I am sure it will adjust well. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Nice, cant wait to see it

Speaking of the chain, should it be fairly snug or not?? I noticed when I took this one out, except for the last 1 inch or so to each light, the entire length of the chain was laying on the tray. Is that good for it? Wont it wear on the chain?

And Im bringing the light bases to work tomorrow, hoping I can buff them a little to find out whats gonna be involved in getting them to mirror.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Captain4164 said:

Took me two quarters of the 49er/Falcon game on satellite radio to polish, well not really polish, but to get all the calcium and grease off the bar. I used CLR and a spray stainless steel cleaner to get it to this point. Then each light was taken apart and de greased. What are the bases of Model 11 lights, aluminum or stainless?? These have quite a grain to them, almost like wood, so Im thinking stainless. They are gonna need some good polishing, as is the bar. The light bases cleaned up easily and now look good. The bar feet had red paint overspray which was taken off with steel wool, and lots of calcium at the mounts to the bar. The chain, I just thought I didnt take any pics of the chain, is in really good condition. It was caked heavy with dried up grease, as was the chain shelf, so I took the shelf out also and de greased it really good and soaked the chain in degreaser all day. Way too many pics to post on here so take a look at the last 25 pics in my Photobucket account.

Federal Model 11 Visi Bar Photos by Captain4164 | Photobucket

Lookin' good, Nick. Do you have the electronic siren to go with it: a Federal Interceptor or Director? Good thing you missed those two quarters. That helped the niners win! I didn't know it until I watched the post-game show that Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree plays for them now. Wow! Superbowl time!

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Skip Goulet said:
Lookin' good, Nick. Do you have the electronic siren to go with it: a Federal Interceptor or Director? Good thing you missed those two quarters. That helped the niners win! I didn't know it until I watched the post-game show that Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree plays for them now. Wow! Superbowl time!

No, I dont have the right sirens, all I have so far is the Unitrol to hook everything to. Thanks for the info, and Ill keep my eyes peeled for one of those.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Well here is pretty much the final post on this bar. The only thing I havent done is fully polish the bar and skirt on the lights. And I still need to get new red domes for it. But I got the speaker stripped, painted and remounted. But it looks presentable and could be done with this and put it on display.

Still may get an antenna if someone has a lead on one or has one.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Captain4164 said:
Well here is pretty much the final post on this bar. The only thing I havent done is fully polish the bar and skirt on the lights. And I still need to get new red domes for it. But I got the speaker stripped, painted and remounted. But it looks presentable and could be done with this and put it on display.

Still may get an antenna if someone has a lead on one or has one.

Nice, nice, nice, Nick! First time I've seen a VisiBar working that nicely in a very long time. Still haven't had a chance to check mine out that I got a few months ago, but the guy I got it from had gone thru it before bringing it to me. Have you find a good electronic siren to with with the CJ speaker?

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Skip Goulet said:
Nice, nice, nice, Nick! First time I've seen a VisiBar working that nicely in a very long time. Still haven't had a chance to check mine out that I got a few months ago, but the guy I got it from had gone thru it before bringing it to me. Have you find a good electronic siren to with with the CJ speaker?

Thanks Skip

Nope still need a siren and antenna to completely finish this project.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.