My First Road Trip Haul

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I joined GovDeals two weeks ago. On a whim I bid on a pallet of surplus lightbars. I ended up winning six Code 3 MX7000 bars (all loaded with takedowns, alleys, intersection oscillators and traffic advisors) and two Federal Signal StreetHawk bars (one all-light, one with a speaker section). Also included were six Code 3 control boxes that look intended to run the traffic advisors. I got the entire lot for $25. But I did have to do a 450-mile roundtrip to pick it all up. I was very surprised by how clean the interiors are. I'd rate the pile overall as 7/10. If the domes were properly polished I'd push that up to an 8 or 9. 

Previously my collection only included beacons, TwinSonics and Signal Stat Dual-Comms. So I only needed to understand positive versus negative wires. The wiring for this latest acquisition has me TOTALLY BAFFLED. I may have to reach out here for help on that.  

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Reactions: jph2 and Retired1

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Thick black wire=ground/negative. Everything else is all the functions. I recommend testing each wire individually and writing down which color's which, because it's uniform for all bars unless someone has messed with them. Nice haul, by the way!

Reactions: Retired1

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
The whole thing really cost me about $300 (the $25 bid plus gas and one night in a hotel). I just bought a slick pair of wire-cutters. I'll delve into testing one night this week. I use a 300-amp battery charger to power the toys up. I truly would be happy to keep just one of the MX7000 bars and the two StreetHawks. I wish shipping weren't such a nightmare. Otherwise I'd gladly sell the remainder pretty damned cheap. I'd go $50 each plus whatever it costs to ship. 

shibby1952

May 8, 2013
Iowa
Be fore warned- the flashers in the Streethawks may not function on your battery charger.  I just went through this with my Streethawks.  You have to have clean current to run the relay.  Otherwise it will just sit there and flicker and it will act like the relay is bad.  Double check EVERYTHING with a car battery before assuming anything is broken.  Just a suggestion...

Reactions: LRGJr72

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I would have done that deal............Nice Haul.

It got you out of the house for a great road trip. WIN-WIN

You'll have fun playing with those.

-Pete

It was a scenic trip. On the way back I got to spend half a day in Aspen & Snowmass Village. The highlight was seeing the Maroon Bells. If you haven't heard of that site look it up. 

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Be fore warned- the flashers in the Streethawks may not function on your battery charger.  I just went through this with my Streethawks.  You have to have clean current to run the relay.  Otherwise it will just sit there and flicker and it will act like the relay is bad.  Double check EVERYTHING with a car battery before assuming anything is broken.  Just a suggestion...

I second the clean power on FA-3 flashers. They do not like battery chargers. Use a regular car battery or power supply big enough to handle the amps on those lightbars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.