My Patrol Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
I'm new to the site so I'll go ahead and introduce myself. Name is Josh and I'm a Deputy Sheriff in central Arkansas, looking forward to getting to know the folks here.

This is a picture of the patrol car my agency uses, I'll get some pics of my personal car uploaded sometime soon. All lighting is SOS as well as siren and controls. We just replaced the entire fleet last year so all cars are 2009 Crown Victorias.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_patrolcar.jpg

This is the only one I have of a car from my previous agency, it is one of 2 Crown Victorias, all other are Impalas.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_unit10.jpg

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Nice to meet you Josh and Welcome. You might get asked quite a bit of question on here, especially within the install sections, so please don't feel like we are picking on you. We are just a very interested crowd.

Also, very nice looking ride.. I bet you sure do miss the tint though in the new car. Looks like it was pretty well tinted in the previous one.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
Those units look odd with the light bars not centered over the "B" pillars. I like the graphics on the first one though.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out... Thank you for that.. grrrr.. LOL.. I also like the graphics. Very nice indeed.

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Ya know I never noticed the lightbar thing till you said that lol. When I get a chance I get a list together of all the lighting and various equipment on the car. I know I'm looking at adding a dual 6 LED dash light from ArkLaMisslights.com soon. And yes I miss the tint, but the Sheriff doesn't like tint so I live with it.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
That's weird. Why so? Must have had a bad experience with tint as a child.. LOL

crhaney

Jun 10, 2010
Russellville, Arkansas
Josh,

Welcome aboard!! We are almost neighbors!! I live up the interstate in Russellville and am caretaker of an old American LaFrance pumper. I believe that you will enjoy this site. Lots of useful information. Again, welcome aboard!

Ray

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
My chief is the same way with tint. He feels it's 'too aggressive' and that officers need to be seen. Personally, I don't think the public needs to see me in my car as long as they see the car. My sgt was able to tint his windows because he has a permit from the state allowing him to have windows darker then 32%, even on his POV (note from a doc saying he has an eye condition). When I rode with him, it was easier to see violations and was a LOT cooler.

Can you get a pic of the interior set up?

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Here's a list of the equipment on/in the car:

SOS ETL lightbar (we run all blue)

SOS XP63 lower deck lights

Unknown brand 6 led upper deck lights

Blue Whelen Vertex lights in the reverse lights

(2)Whelen Dominator 2 head modules in the grill b/w/b/w

Whelen HAW strobes in brake and blinker housing

High/low flashers

JotoDesk console

Motorola PM400 radio

SOS ETSA380MF siren/light control

Genesis II Radar

Patriot Cage

Tufloc shotgun rack

Go Rhino push bumper

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Welcome. Nice ride!

Hi from the Searcy area.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I dislike tint for the same reason I dislike sunglasses with reflective lenses - the public is supposed to see us, after all, we work for them.

There are exceptions to everything: K9 cars, surveillance vehicles, marine, desert, snow, high-altitude work.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Where did you get the decals? I was just looking at the car below and want the same pattern you have for our new car.

aimages19.fotki.com_v275_photos_4_49373_6140539_cnpca14012_vi.jpg

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Love the console. Not cluttered and you have everything you need (with the exception of a cup holder ;) )

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Finally got them to resize. Yeah there are two upholders at the en of the console and an armrest as well. It's hand sanatizer though, can't take the nasties home with me lol.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_cc7393d2.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_eb12215b.jpg

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
hawkspringsfire said:
On the bottom of the console there is a cup holder with a water bottle in it.

Ahh. Didn't see that at first.

I'm with you on the germs. Have my go-to-jail gloves on the dash and germ-x in the door.

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Stendec said:
I dislike tint for the same reason I dislike sunglasses with reflective lenses - the public is supposed to see us, after all, we work for them.

There are exceptions to everything: K9 cars, surveillance vehicles, marine, desert, snow, high-altitude work.
You don't live in the south do you? It really helps with heat.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I was under the impression that tint is also good for officer safety. If the gunman can't see you, then he can't know whether you are in the car unless he walks up directly to you. No?

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Also, you can look at the bad guy without them knowing it.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
And you can put the car without an officer on a road for "presence" and traffic enforcement. People will think an officer is there running radar and slow down.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Bonanno said:
And you can put the car without an officer on a road for "presence" and traffic enforcement. People will think an officer is there running radar and slow down.

I've always wanted to do that, but leave the radar on so people with detectors will think they are free and clear after the pass and not realize the box is now alerting to my radar up the road.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
RL1 said:
I've always wanted to do that, but leave the radar on so people with detectors will think they are free and clear after the pass and not realize the box is now alerting to my radar up the road.

Now that, is a good one. It is very unique and you would certainly catch someone.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Arkansas agencies have mounted the lightbar behind the B pillar for quite awhile now. i was an officer there with a couple of departments back in the early to mid 80s, and everyone there was doing it that way back then.

Some of the State Police cruisers even had their bars mounted further back, almost to the center of the rear door. You can see this in vintage pictures on some of the online cop car photo sites. It was a really strange look.

It's actually a trend that I believe was started when smaller cars first started hitting fleets back in the late 70s and early 80s. I have the experience to prove it may have actually been for officer safety. For example, we had a Chrysler Reliant K car in our fleet when I was with a department in one Ozark Mountain town. Our Chief was big on experimenting and like the fact it had front wheel drive. It was actually great for climbing the steep roads on the mountain and scooting around the narrow streets but it sucked at everything else, especially creature comfort inside. It had a Federal VisiBar that stuck out over the roofline on both sides by several inches, but the shop guys had mounted the bar as far forward as possible because of the thin metal of the roof and the odd angle it sat at. I have often regretted their decision, as I still have a scar in my scalp from nailing my head on it one night while jumping out on a call. Mounting the bar further back would have prevented this headache, literally.

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Well I have been re-assigned to a different car. Everything is the same except I lost the grill lights, upper deck lights, and the vertex lights in the reverse light housing. I did gain a set of window bars for the rear though. Currently adding a ark-la-miss dual 6led to the dash and microman 20" g3 to the grill.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
I think tint should be standard on all LE vehicles, public safety vehicles for that matter. If I couldn't wear Oakleys with Iridium (reflective) lenses I don't think I would wear sunglasses at all. I would just deal with the sun. Public does not need to know what I am looking at.

Great looking cars.

tcfd823

May 21, 2010
CENARK
Very nice looking ride... I believe you may have stopped me for speeding once or twice in the past.... LOL.

Hello from Benton!

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Finally got around to getting a video of my car. I have had to swap cars a couple of months ago, so I have changed my lights.

I now have a Microman 20" bar in front and a Microman 12" bar above the LP, both are controlled with Sho-Me 7 pattern flashers. Please excuse the quality, it was shot with my iphone about 10 minutes ago.

ame4f1.JPG

ame4f2.JPG

SoFlaDep

Aug 24, 2010
South Florida
My God that lghtbar is intense. I love that car. We use to run all blue and now we run red/blue. I wish we could go back. Great video and pics.

I just sent you a PM with a off-topic question. Be safe out there!!!

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
SoFlaDep said:
My God that lghtbar is intense. I love that car. We use to run all blue and now we run red/blue. I wish we could go back. Great video and pics.

I just sent you a PM with a off-topic question. Be safe out there!!!

DEP got some chargers?

SoFlaDep

Aug 24, 2010
South Florida
I am not sure but DEP in Florida drive pick-ups and SUVs with some cars. My picture is a North Carolina Highway Patrol car. I love that car. LOL I just got it..My name is SoFlaDep, I am a deputy is south Florida not DEP. Thanks for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.