My Restored Aerodynic New York Spec.

ERIC6913

Premium Member
May 29, 2010
California
Hello again fellow enthusiasts!

I have here a Federal Signal Aerodynic model 24 New York spec. I won this lightbar a while back on E-bay. I just now got around to restoring it, as i have been busy with a few other projects. I wanna say this lightbar was used by the state police or highway patrol. I'm not sure. I started by COMPLETELY disassembling the lightbar. I mean down to every nut, bolt, gear and pin. I cleaned and de-greased all the parts. I even had to un-solder the lamp sockets from the wire harness! Then I powder coated the frame and base plate. I had all the stainless pieces polished as usual. I ordered new domes from Federal. I even replaced all the rusted hardware. Let me know what you think!

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ5.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ6.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ7.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ4.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ3.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ2.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_NYZ.jpg

As always thanks for looking and stay tuned....... :cool:

Very sweet AeroDynic! :D

The tag: 24EAH-TT-NYZ...

"TT" refers to Takedowns I guess.

"NY" is New York of course but what does the "Z" stands for?

Have you re-wired the whole thing or re-used the existing ones?

I did not rewire it. i had to take the lamp sockets out to powder coat the base plate. "Z" typically refers to a custom set up. New York liked to have the power cable on the opposite side compared to a regular Aerodynic.

Exactly as you said when we spoke, perfect!

It would be NY State Police. I remember Delaware ran a very similar setup. I have to look through my old FILM prints to see, I do not think they had TD's like NY.

Awesome job once again.

The fact that you can still get new domes from federal (and a lot of skill and time) allows aerodynic restorations to turn out awesome. Great looking bar.

Ok I have a question, not being a Aero expert:

It looks to me, like the 2 inboard rotators are almost completely blocked to the front and rear by the V mirror. I'm sure that you put it together properly, so how does that work?

You sure as hell do good work. Very impressive

Bob

bpollard said:
It looks to me, like the 2 inboard rotators are almost completely blocked to the front and rear by the V mirror. I'm sure that you put it together properly, so how does that work?
I think it's a weak effort at adding extra side warning, since with the current setup there is absolutely none, what with the takedowns, alley lights and rear flashers.

bpollard said:
Ok I have a question, not being a Aero expert:

You sure as hell do good work. Very impressive

Bob
hello bob,

you are correct, they block most of the light. the mirrors were Federal's attempt to light up the end of the dome. Not sure how many years they did this, before realizing it didnt work effectively.

That bar is gorgeous! Great job as usual. The rotators are currently set up for an unusual flash pattern. I don't know if Federal Signal would have shipped them to the NYSP that way or not. Most likely it would have been the standard [4,2,0] [0,2,4]. And even though I grew up in NY, I can't remember for sure.

KMG365 said:
That bar is gorgeous! Great job as usual. The rotators are currently set up for an unusual flash pattern. I don't know if Federal Signal would have shipped them to the NYSP that way or not. Most likely it would have been the standard [4,2,0] [0,2,4]. And even though I grew up in NY, I can't remember for sure.

Looks like it's "patterned" left-to-right arrow with simultaneous inward rotators...

Someone should post a pic of a NY State Police tank with this type of bar on it. :?:

This is from a website belonging to the family of a retired Trooper, the picture is a cover from the NYSP internal magazine "The Trooper" from 1985.

alh6.ggpht.com__G4DuJaOU04Y_SReGpxMnqtI_AAAAAAAAAwI_MOxR14c9f7w_s512_1985_20May_Jun.jpg

ERIC6913 said:
hello bob,

you are correct, they block most of the light. the mirrors were Federal's attempt to light up the end of the dome. Not sure how many years they did this, before realizing it didnt work effectively.
The two center rotators are actually only about half covered, so there's still an effective flash from them. But, yes, the mirrors are rather ineffective. I've actually toyed with the idea of removing the ones from my bar, but I decided to keep them on for historical accuracy. :D

Just like the NYS Dietz light that Pinball Charlie posted recently! This is one of the special order Federal bars that I spoke of in that thread. It is no doubt a NYSP bar.

Beautiful job Eric, and a nice find as well.

I'd be very interested in this bar if you ever need to make room.

Eric, nice job on this one. But being that New York State customizes their power leads to be "on the opposite side", do you not have your speaker grille and domes mounted backwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
I 26 said:
I just bought what I believed to be a NYSP bar, but when I opened it up it did not have the 'NYZ' stamp - it's the shorter 'MEAH-TT' model, with only two rotators per side. It does have the same dome set up though, it has got the power cable on the passenger side, and I did get it in New York State. Does anyone know if this is a NYSP bar? Did they order their lightbars in various lengths?

Eric, nice job on this one. But being that New York State customizes their power leads to be "on the opposite side", do you not have your speaker grille and domes mounted backwards?

this is the way i got it.

I really like how you did your restoration I thank you very much, for sharing your hard work on this wounderful collection and memories from the not so distent past thank you very much. :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381