My whelen advantedges - updated 9/12/2013

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This will be my official advantedge thread....

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Hey John, I have a flush mount from the back of and old FDNY ambulance. I was going to restore it and mount it up on the garage wall, but I might be willing to part with it for the right $$. PM or call me when you get a chance.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I took my austin version advantedges apart to see if I could make a 3 rotator version and the innards were a decent bit different.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_th_austadv3.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_th_austadv2.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_th_austadv4.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
patrol530 said:
Spare bulb storage is neat.

They both have that actually... the one is just at the far end.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
More pics to come...

It has 2 deepdish rotators, 2 internal 3x4 strobes and 2 lower external strobes. The strobes are remote. This bar is not factory, but is made with factory parts to the specs (minus 2 more lower strobes) of a bar that used to be on a grass truck. Whelen would put basically anything into a mini frame that would fit in a section of a full bar. I had considered replacing the internal strobes with 3x4 halogens and making the bar CA spec (change the lower strobes to red)...

advministb.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
A few more pics.... I might spread the lower lights out a bit. I'm looking for some amber fluted lens too for one of the strobes.

advstbmini1.jpg

advstbmini2.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
More pics... videos to come. Note how close in manufacturer date these are to the type of rotator that replaced them. Still looking for a flush mount advantedge to put these in...

advflshrtr1a.jpg

advflshrtr2a.jpg

advflshrtr3a.jpg

advflshrtr4a.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It has 2 upper deck CA steady reds, 4 rotators and rear external flashers...

caadv.jpg

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
The more I see these light bars, the more I really, REALLY, want one! I can't wait to get my hands on a mini Advantedge though...I'm still looking.

wooo hoo, my 100th post. That's pretty sad since I've been a member for many years.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I've talked in chat, but can't recall asking this question in the forum in reference to the AdvantEdge bars. For an "internal" flasher, what did Whelen use? I've heard from some it looked just like a regular rotator, just one that was bolted to the rotator/mirror tray. Any input?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
grfd711 said:
I've talked in chat, but can't recall asking this question in the forum in reference to the AdvantEdge bars. For an "internal" flasher, what did Whelen use? I've heard from some it looked just like a regular rotator, just one that was bolted to the rotator/mirror tray. Any input?

These changed over the years. This one has what looks like generation 1 advantedge rotators (minus gears and motor) mounted to risers. My mini advantedge uses standoffs to mount 4x3 lights. The rotators didn't always correspond to the internal option type. You could order them with edge "guts" too. You could basically take any edge bar, turn it into an advantedge and stick external lower options on it. The advantedge is probably one of the more versitile bars ot it's time. I will post some "Lens off pics" of the CA bar which had the old GEN1 steady lights with GEN 2 rotators (factory) here shortly. Pictured now is the more common 4x3 mount, shown front only. It would accept a halgone on strobe 4x4 head. They also had a center 7x3 halogen option.... also pictured below next to a pair of external mounts.

advhldr.jpg

specialadv.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
These have finally found a home. I found this 86" advantedge with rotators in really bad shape... and as I was swapping the oscillating retofit kits into it I again remembered that I did this exact same upgrade to a similar bar on the front of a medic unit in 2000.... that bar was on the front of a 1997 type III, this time it was on my picnic table...

The end and center lights are 73 series halogen and require a flasher which I don't have hooked up in the video.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Slightly better...longer videos and pics

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_advfl3.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_advfl1.jpg

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Thanks for the info. Remember an ambo from back home which was a combination of three rotators and two flashers from back in the mid to late 90s.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
grfd711 said:
Thanks for the info. Remember an ambo from back home which was a combination of three rotators and two flashers from back in the mid to late 90s.

I am done telling people that "no such an advantedge" exists....... if a part fit and was made by whelen, it could have been put in an advantedge... this bar saw so many different roators, flashers and options that were never listed in catalog that almost anything is possible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.