My whelen advantedges - updated 9/12/2013

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hoser said:
Nice looking bar John, What strobe driver did they use for the lower strobes that are attached to the 1st picture? Thanks

As posted.. they are halogen. However, my other advantedge has remote lower strobes.... another had a two head "value" supply, another had an edge supply..... I'm not sure what, if any, supply was standard.... my guess is it varied based on the vast number of options available.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I replaced the rotators and flasher. It needs a cleaning, but here's a video.

Fits right in....

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_advwall2.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collection_advwall1.jpg

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Very nice! :)

I probably missed a lot of installations, but I recall seeing the AdvantEdge mostly on the fronts/backs of ambulance boxes and not so much as standalone lightbars.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
jph2 said:

I probably missed a lot of installations, but I recall seeing the AdvantEdge mostly on the fronts/backs of ambulance boxes and not so much as standalone lightbars.

They were often spec-ed as a basic lightbar on the cab of an ambulance. You are correct that few places ran them as lightbars on units where the lightbar was the only or main source of light...

Uman18

Jun 2, 2010
Port Hueneme, CA
jph2 said:

The 1 and only Advantedge bar ive seen by where i live was on an ambulance in amber/red.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ERIC6913 said:
looks great john! i would see if you could find solid red lenses for the rear.

I have plenty of red, enough to do the whole bar "plain red"... the idea is to have interesting and unusual setup bars.... the amber over the mirrors is a hold over from a cutout over just the mirrors in some 80h bars.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Uman18 said:
The 1 and only Advantedge bar ive seen by where i live was on an ambulance in amber/red.

These bars could be setup in almost any config... it's too bad they were so under used... I always wanted to load one with as many external (lower level) remote strobes as I could... like 16 on a full bar... another time...

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
middletown FD was running all Adventdges until the new led stuff came around the fire master version is a bad ass bar

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here's a video of my new to me 72" firemaster advantedge. It has 7 rotators. More pics to come with my advantedge group shot once my OSC arrives. It came from the front of an ambulance....

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_th_advantedge.jpg

type3.850.4.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This was the ebay one, I just got lucky that it was local pick up and near me. Things don't sell worth a darn without shipping as an option on ebay, so I got a good deal. It has deep dish rotators and mirrors almost surrounding the rotators. It has just a positive and negative feed and was wired a one relay powered switch in several different type 3 ambulances. These were an option instead of a code 3 monster XL. JennyCop's advantedge just arrived, and my osc should be here shorty. When it doesI will drag all my advantedges out into the driveway and do a group photo.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Beautiful bar John....exactly like the one I wish I had purchased from the overstock page that Smeal used to have. They wanted $200 plus freight at the time and I figured I would always have another chance at one.....

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
emtanderson51 said:
Beautiful bar John....exactly like the one I wish I had purchased from the overstock page that Smeal used to have. They wanted $200 plus freight at the time and I figured I would always have another chance at one.....

Freight would be around $300 (or at least it is for an XL triple threat) so you did ok passing on it....

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
i know of a NOS one here locally. it also has the strobes

Able to get pics?

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
That beast looks great. My neighboring FD has one on a tanker, which I STILL have yet to repair for them. At least I know the damage: one burnt out bulb and one dead motor. Just a shame the center section is sitting there empty. It could have more personality by being filled up, like your beast. Great score!

Forgot to add my vollie FD has a flush mount AdvantEdge on their BLS ambo and is about to upgrade to LED. I wonder if I may be able to snag it? Think it's worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ERIC6913 said:
hey john,

i know a member who has a set of nos dual HID rotators just waiting to be installed in an Advantedge...he he he

as always.... if they need a buyer... that's the stuff i buy.. otherwise at least show it off... hehe

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
grfd711 said:
That beast looks great. My neighboring FD has one on a tanker, which I STILL have yet to repair for them. At least I know the damage: one burnt out bulb and one dead motor. Just a shame the center section is sitting there empty. It could have more personality by being filled up, like your beast. Great score!

Forgot to add my vollie FD has a flush mount AdvantEdge on their BLS ambo and is about to upgrade to LED. I wonder if I may be able to snag it? Think it's worth it?

Most advantedge firemaster bars were underpopulated. They would have 3 or 4 rotators in a 72" bar. If setup right like this one, they could go toe to toe with other halogen bars well. I am resisting the urge to make it a clown bar by adding 12 external lower lights...

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
JohnMarcson said:
Freight would be around $300 (or at least it is for an XL triple threat) so you did ok passing on it....

So....This means I should offer you $30 shipped for this bar.

On a serious note, that bar is freaking sweet. I would love to have one.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Since teasers are all the rage for whelen to now... here's what came in the mail today.....

I will be taking pics of all my advantedges tomorrow or Thursday.... 9 or 10 total. Stay tuned.

osc.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ok... fine.. some videos.... the lenses are measured and installed as per the whelen install documents.... I will be replacing the rear clear with amber when I get around to it.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_th_advosc.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_th_advoscrr.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
emtanderson51 said:

Yours has filters and clear lenses...... which is nicer..... But I have external takedowns and a center rotator on mine... :D

I now have the following advantedges that I will be photographing soon:

Full size

4 rotators

4 rotators CA version

3 rotators ambulance version

OSC

Mini

Austin 2 rotator

Austin 2 rotator

2 rotator with external and internal strobes

Plus/Flush Mount

4 oscillator model

2 rotator model

Other

7 rotator firemaster

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
I'm a sucker for any lights that oscillate and OSC's are just plain awesome! Whelen should create a new lightbar that features oscillating led's inside a redesigned Edge. Whelen should call it this....

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_osci6.png

I can't wait to see the other advantedge you will be posting soon. :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here is a better vid

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
My 2 rotator, 4 external strobe, 2 internal strobe mini advantedge. All the strobes are remote.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.