need help desiging the ultimate mx7000 for display..

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
ok so here is the deal, I just picked up a plié of MX7000 bars, and I was thinking I should build a really cool display bar for my collection, I have a host of parts available, and I really don't want to dump a whole lot of cash into this,

here are the basics I would like to achieve :

47 inch bar ( its what I have to work with)

d-tech rotators ( I have them to work with and they are the most innovative attempt to do something cool with rotators in 30 years)

smart intersections ( another innovation )

I was thinking about adding sting ray rotators , but I don't know if I have enough parts to make it happen

2 center oscilazers ( I have 2 for the project and I have never seen 2 center mounted before)

so you guys can kinda see the theme, lots of innovative stuff, remember this is not for use, just a cool collection item... so what other ideas do you have ? I kinda want to keep it with code 3 parts and retain as much of a factory look as I can

list your ideas below, thanks Shawn

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
Here's my "ultimate" MX. It is CRAZY bright!

It has R/B glass D-Tech rotators (slow speed)

Diamond Mirrors

Oscilazer center mounted with diamond mirrors on each side

Smart intersectors

LED-X R/B double modules loaded front and rear with combination of narrow and wide optix

Rear upper level of LED-X is an amber arrow stick

Rear corners are R/B pursuit lights

Front:

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_P2260025.jpg

Rear:

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_P2260022.jpg

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
that's a nice looking MX ...

I was thinking about adding some LEDx heads to it , but I wasn't going to do a full blown ledx conversion due to the cost, that's quite similar to the bar im running on my truck, (no d-techs for me) but the lower levels are loaded with ledx heads.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
lite-em-up said:
It is CRAZY bright!

JDI labs once took an MX and modified it with our patented Uber-winkie® lightheads. The techs were all disability-retired due to blindness. We had till fill in the lab with concrete. There's a plaque on the sealed door commemorating their sacrifice. :cry:

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
lite-em-up said:
Here's my "ultimate" MX. It is CRAZY bright!

It has R/B glass D-Tech rotators (slow speed)

Diamond Mirrors

Oscilazer center mounted with diamond mirrors on each side

Smart intersectors

LED-X R/B double modules loaded front and rear with combination of narrow and wide optix

Rear upper level of LED-X is an amber arrow stick

Rear corners are R/B pursuit lights

Front:

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_P2260025.jpg

Rear:

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_P2260022.jpg

Nice! Do you have a video of this in action?

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
without breaking the bank, i think your idea is pretty much spot on.....maybe find a way to mount some x-fires in the corners?

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Phoenix_Rising said:
without breaking the bank, i think your idea is pretty much spot on.....maybe find a way to mount some x-fires in the corners?

You wouldn't be able to fit X-fires in an MX. They're specially designed to fit into the corner pods of a 360. Which sucks because they're awesome.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Mine would be rotater-osilaser- fast rotater-osilaser- rotater. On top and all 4 corners would have intersection sweeps 2 front flashers and a 6 head arrow stick in the rear all halogen and a awesome combo of moving lights

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I like the ideas guys keep them coming. any one have pics/ and or brackets for the upper level flasher assys? iirc they just use a standard takedown / flasher with some special brackets . I was thinking these would be cool behind the oscilazers, a good way to use up some otherwise wasted space.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
something i was thinking of trying......i noted this from an led bar , sho-me maybe?......that has all leds heads with a strobe behind them......been thinking of having a fully popped lower with TD's and smart intersections, and throwing 2 hide aways, or even a single linear of the x-fire models, behind them.gives the bar a noticeable pop that just isnt there when you mount them as you normally would

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I did this same thing yearrrrrrs ago on a street hawk I had, remember the little metal shields that they used to have over the flashers on a street hawk? well I drilled those out and put 4 hideaway strobe tubes in the metal shields facing down. I used clear lenses with amber bulbs for the flashers, and got a nice extra clear pop of the strobe when they were on, I used a potted power supply mounted in the center speaker section.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
lotsofbars said:
You wouldn't be able to fit X-fires in an MX. They're specially designed to fit into the corner pods of a 360. Which sucks because they're awesome.

where theres a will, theres a way

and super glue

and duct tape

dont forget zip ties

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested adding a SelectAlert center rotator. Incredibly uncommon, and incredibly cool!

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
IIRC they didn't offer select alert in the mx bars? I thought they were called a stingray, and a stingray would do rear sweep, full rotate and fast front sweep

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Shawn L said:
IIRC they didn't offer select alert in the mx bars? I thought they were called a stingray, and a stingray would do rear sweep, full rotate and fast front sweep

The stingray required a controller, and what I remember didn't have or need that.

What I remember was a square circuit board on the deck with a hole in the center. There was a black contact in the hole in the middle the arm that holds the filter. The circuit board had a few wires running from it, each of which went to a place on the circuit board where the contact rode for a portion of its rotation. The rotator deck was the old style where the motor was below the deck, on the hunk of aluminum. The deck was held in place by long bolts and standoff sleeves.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Shawn L said:
yeah that's a stingray, a lp6000 used a different set of contacts but the mx used the printed board w/ contact points on it

Thanks for clearing that up. I have been trying, but I can't find a picture of this anywhere.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
years ago I had several of the LP6000 stingray units that only worked on the fast front sweep mode, I removed the front and rear diamond mirrors and installed 4 of the units sent only to work on the fast sweep setting, that looked cool,

on this mx im thinking ill do 2 oscilazers in the center section.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
shues said:
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately the MX7000 version is not pictured there...
Old style MX-Frame with the printed contact boards

MX7000 Halogen 36 Zoll-11a.jpg

On the newer MX-Frames are the same setup as in the LP.

StingRay Rotator MX -17a.jpg

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
now that's awesome, I have NEVER seen the new style setup, I just thought they stopped putting the stingrays when they went to the "U" style rotator plates.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.