need info on horns

jpbaker6

Jul 31, 2010
Bergen County NJ
hey everyone,

dont really have any idea about horns/sirens but was looking to get one that is one noise not like a police siren. is it possible to hook it up and use as my regular horn?

thanks

john

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
basically you have 2 options, a whelen pap112 which requires a seperate speaker and will run about $300 or so or you have the pricer option of grover air horns.. i did not see any affliation with pd or fd in your profile so if you are not i would not go with neither option..

otherwise both can be wired into the vehicles horn ring or set up on a seperate switch so you have the function of the factory horn and air horn with a flip of a switch.

other misc. option is a train horn

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
there are more than just those three options.

Dixie horns, la cucaracha, the ol timey ooooooooooooooga horns, etc. just go to jcwhitney.com and type in horns. :lol:

or some auto parts stores carry after market horns.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Carson sells an amp that does just horn tones. You can choose between 2 different tones and it comes with a controller, too.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
like Jarred said there is numerous other options out there,what i listed is a couple of the popular options,there is multiple novelty horns

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Carson has a horn-only box that you can get with a speaker for around $150. $200 if you want the waterproof module. Probably the cheapest route, although not the loudest. You can buy the components separately and get a better speaker but real air horns are louder. And much more expensive if you go for a Grover 1510 horn (the fire truck horns) because you'll also need a compressor and solenoid/valve. This is all assuming this is for a volunteer fire/ambulance service... if you just want a loud horn for your car, there are tons of air horn kits on ebay for cheap. Wolo makes several. The Hella Supertone electric horns are very loud, too.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
if you'd like a "natural" Q sirent.

connect cat to vehicle and tie string aound testicles and then pull string as stated above.

it will have a quick wind up, and a "stutterted" top out tone with fast wind down and growl at end.

the hissing noise could be from the cat or where the cat slashed your tires.

jpbaker6

Jul 31, 2010
Bergen County NJ
is this a decent unit? Whelen WSSC 30 Watt Siren/Speaker

yes I am emt and if i have time will be joining the vol fire, i see that it has a air horn function and its cheap and all contained with my choosing of switches. the carson item is $200 and i found this for $140

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
It's fine if you don't need any vehicles to hear you, only pedestrians or people on bicycles. It's a 30W siren, so it's actually intended for ATVs and other small vehicles where the low power isn't a problem. Even the 100W air horns aren't *that* loud for punching through all of the sound deadening insulation of cars, so with this siren you could be right behind somebody at a redlight and if their stereo was on, they wouldn't hear you.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
If you're looking for spend about $200, you can get 400 watts of airhorn from this Dual Omega 90 setup (I am not the seller): viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4247

You could probably sell the control head and CA92 cable for a decent sum, and just run a wire from any momentary switch to each of the amplifiers.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
shues said:
If you're looking for spend about $200, you can get 400 watts of airhorn from this Dual Omega 90 setup (I am not the seller): viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4247

You could probably sell the control head and CA92 cable for a decent sum, and just run a wire from any momentary switch to each of the amplifiers.

What he said. :D :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.