New Fed Sig bar??

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
A very trick bar for sure. The only issue I see is how long will it last in adverse weather? There is the potential for reliability issues in the future.

I want one, don't need it though.

cory y

May 21, 2010
irsa76 said:
A very trick bar for sure. The only issue I see is how long will it last in adverse weather? There is the potential for reliability issues in the future.
I want one, don't need it though.

why do you say that? its not like it has holes in it, it will more than likely hold up exactly the same as any other lightbar out there

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
cory y said:
why do you say that? its not like it has holes in it, it will more than likely hold up exactly the same as any other lightbar out there

It has moving parts.... which raises the failure rate a tad..... but I'm not sure what difference that would make with weather.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Jennifer Rose Towing said:
Did ya notice one of the ambers in back is messed up? Low power or bad unit?

Yeah i saw it too on the directional right

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Station 3 said:
Yeah i saw it too on the directional right

Wonder if you can switch it out as a single LED unit, or if you have to send the whole bar back.....

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I don't know if anyone would know this or not...but all lightbars have the ability to operate in any color? or do you factory order your colors?

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
cory y said:

Over time the seals will shrink and become brittle allowing moisture in. Heavy rain and snow could leak into the control module which will cause problems. Probably wouldn't be an issue for most uses, but the risk is there especially as they get older. And I can't see the modules being easily available, either genuine or otherwise, in 10-15 years time.

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
irsa76 said:
Over time the seals will shrink and become brittle allowing moisture in. Heavy rain and snow could leak into the control module which will cause problems. Probably wouldn't be an issue for most uses, but the risk is there especially as they get older. And I can't see the modules being easily available, either genuine or otherwise, in 10-15 years time.

Why do you feel this is more of an issue on this lightbar than any other? In theory, as technology progresses so should the ability to waterproof.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I 26 said:
I don't know if anyone would know this or not...but all lightbars have the ability to operate in any color? or do you factory order your colors?

For LED's, you have to set your colors when you order the bar. Only way to change the color is to change out the light head (note: there are some bars with inter weave lightheads allowing for two colors, usually red or blue with alt amber).

For strobes and halogens, you can change the lense to change the color.

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
cory y said:
prices for new bar will be released on the 2011 price book

I 26 said:

The plan for 2011 is to offer the Vision SLR with the agency's choice of "single color heads" or the new SpectraLux "multi-color" heads... which provides red, blue, amber, and white. A fleet manager may choose to use only single colors, all multi-colors, or a combination of both. The Vision SLR will not have multiple rows of diodes "inter-weaved" -- the SpectraLux design has all 4 chip colors embedded in the diode.

So think about it like this: one set of heads and colors used for a motorist assist (like two red/blue and the rest amber SignalMaster), another combination for a traffic stop (like 5 takedowns and 2 rear flashers in red/blue), a different combination for running hot (red/blue with some white), maybe an interesection clearing pattern with lots of white, and then there is the always popular "flood" feature with all heads stationary in white facing forward.

Probably not for everyone or every fleet, but lots of potential with this new platform. As I understand it, there are no parts from the original Vision/Vector line used in the SLR models - everything is 100% new design and engineering, including control heads.

When compared to the Vision SLR, the new Valor offers a lot of similar features, but using different technology.

aebm

May 21, 2010
Dania Beach, Broward FL.
Wow! hats off for FedSig, Now I know what I want, for my Birthday, Xmas and all toghether next year!

There´s definitely lots of electronics inside that bar, Love the way the reflectors align togheter, One small question, as far as I know these leds change only 2 colors? Or can they also switch to 3 different colors? Not yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
EVModules said:
Wonder if CHP would have stayed with FS if this was made available during renegotiations!

Here, here Sean. I was thinking that very thing. Those new Whelen bars the CHP has, well, I'll keep my opinion to myself.

As for who might own one first, probably not me, but I do have our rep aware of the fact I want to purchase one as soon as they are available, regardless of cost. I'm going to replace a Halogen Vision with it. The time has come, and this is the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I don't know, after my FS warranty snafu and finding out that labor is only covered for a year, I'd be apprehensive about buying this. New model, that hasn't been 'street tested." Like any new car, the first production run is going to have bugs and if they're not going to cover the labor for warranty... ???? You're out more money when something goes wrong.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rwo978 said:
I don't know, after my FS warranty snafu and finding out that labor is only covered for a year, I'd be apprehensive about buying this. New model, that hasn't been 'street tested." Like any new car, the first production run is going to have bugs and if they're not going to cover the labor for warranty... ???? You're out more money when something goes wrong.

I would need to know that I can ship individual parts in for repair, not the whole bar.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
911 said:
the nypd has them in service connected to smart siren platnium 3000's

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the stationary solaris version?

May 22, 2010
New York City
no, its this bar, i sent it on a ford fusion @ CRS (central repair shop) ,plus im good friends with the guy who did the install !!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.