New PSP Lightbars?

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Just saw a new PSP car on the new's sitting at the Schuylkill Expressway sporting a new Whelen DUO bar. The entire rear of the bar does switch between Red, Blue, and Amber. It looked very impressing. Once my neighbor goes back to work(Injured on duty), I will be getting more info on the new set-up.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Here are a few pictures from Police Car website. Credit to photographer on webpage. Obviously you can see they are the Duo bars with the high intensity led takedowns.

pasp402.jpg

pasp299.jpg

pasp300.jpg

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Troop J Lancaster has some now.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Troop K is the Belmont, Media, ect area. It cover Philly, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties. I will ask my neighbor who is out of Troop K to see if can get some more info on the bars, and the new set-up.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Troop P - Wyoming Area (Wyoming, Bradford, Sullivan, & Northern Luzerne Counties) has some floating around... My Barracks (Wyoming County) has 3... They are infact Duo Bars...

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
I saw a few with the Federal Signal Vision LED bars in the Harrisburg area of Troop H a few months back. The Loganville Barracks of Troop H now has at least one Whelen Liberty, but I'm not sure that it's a DUO. They use this mainly for interstate 83 patrols. Saw it tonight (for about the 10th time) and it definitely slows traffic quicker than the Halogen Vision. The High-Intensity take downs are a definite plus when I've seen troopers come hauling down the interstate!

I have noticed lately that troopers are using undercover cars more often. In fact I noticed it's about 50% marked / 50% undercover on I-83, and yes that's excluding the Fire Marshal's.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Got some photo's of a the new bar's. My parent's neighbor was a on a double back, and brought the vehicle home to go back in. I am curious as too how hold this car is, because the headlights already look old, and the push bar is already rusted. The bar is obviously the DUO. It is being controlled by the Cencom Gold. I tried to get a picture of the inside, but it was hard to take it. I also saw a lightbar in use on the turnpike with the takedowns on, and I was able to be seen about over a half mile away. The bar's are also set up with slow flash patterns. Nothing to fancy. On the rear, the heads next to the rear corners, flash amber every 2nd cycle.

006-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
ff168577 said:
I am curious as too how hold this car is, because the headlights already look old, and the push bar is already rusted.

It's just the bars that are new... The cars are the same... They most likely just removed the Vectors and intalled the Dous...

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
TritonBoulder47 said:
It's just the bars that are new... The cars are the same... They most likely just removed the Vectors and intalled the Dous...

No, the state ordered 400 Vics last year. I believe this car was wrecked a few weeks ago, and it is back, or the vision died, and they placed a DUO on the car.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
ff168577 said:
No, the state ordered 400 Vics last year. I believe this car was wrecked a few weeks ago, and it is back, or the vision died, and they placed a DUO on the car.

Uhm, do you understand how small a number that is compaired to the total fleet that PSP has...?

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
TritonBoulder47 said:
Uhm, do you understand how small a number that is compaired to the total fleet that PSP has...?

Yes I understand that, however when you drive by a barracks, and the old car's are being taken away and the new cars are being delivered. That's why I believe this car was new and either wrecked and old headlights placed in it, or the vision bar died and the liberty was put on it instead.

tower512ladder

Jun 25, 2010
lancaster,pa
Troop J (Lancaster Barracks) has one or two crusiers with Whelen Liberties on them.... I have seen a slicktop car but I am unsure of the lighting package of said vehicle.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
Saw one of first PSP Ford Taurus' (Interceptor) tonight in Southern York County. Soon, you won't be able to identify the Crown Vic headlights in your rearview!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Boss429 said:
Saw one of first PSP Ford Taurus' (Interceptor) tonight in Southern York County. Soon, you won't be able to identify the Crown Vic headlights in your rearview!

The Interceptor's headlights are also distinctive, though, and I've managed to slow down before getting pulled over by quite a few of them.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Troop "L" Reading Barracks is getting 3 of the new ones off the bat shortly. Just "unveiled" them this week, getting some of the SUV's as well

blulytes

Jan 25, 2013
Chester County PA
They are not bad... but the standard flash pattern they have selected needs some work to be more impressive.

Sadly most people (those not on here) will not appreciate the extra money they spent for the duo.

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
The local news has a good video showing the new cars versus the old cars:

New PSP cars

After seeing that video, I was surprised to see that PSP added front and rear hide-a-ways AND grill and deck lights. The front hide-a-ways make sense since there is not yet headlight wigwag available for the Interceptor's. For almost 20 years, the standard PSP setup was a Vision and a headlight wigwag. The Duo's certainly changed the look of the cars and continued a unique look. I didn't that PSP would add extra lights given their minimal lighting history (until recently, unmarked cars only were equipped with a Firebeam and headlight wigwag. That's it.). Hopefully video will turn up soon of the new Utility Interceptors.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
blulytes said:
They are not bad... but the standard flash pattern they have selected needs some work to be more impressive.
Sadly most people (those not on here) will not appreciate the extra money they spent for the duo.

I totally agree, every time I've seen one the only reason I noticed that it was a duo was when looking for the amber to appear. Not convinced that these are any better than a regular liberty.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
The slick top cars are using the 3 head inner edge light, they are equipped with laws the side B post, laws in the corner marker lights, and taillights and a Hlf. I have seen chargers(YES, I said chargers) and crown vics with this settings.

The new cars look great. I enjoy seeing more lights on the cars. I do have a concern with the lights in the headliner though. I think they should be on the rear deck.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
Snapped a photo of it the other day. There is one new Taurus at the local barracks and it seems to follow me around. In one day I passed it twice, a trooper pulled up next to me at the gas pumps with it, then it passed my house. First time I've seen it on an incident.

ai39.tinypic.com_15qzqzd.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.