Nice Junk Yard Finds (With Pictures!)

RamCharger

Sep 20, 2014
Alabama
I was out driving around today and on the way home I decided to stop by a promising looking junk yard. I'd never been to this one before so I wasn't sure what too expect. Here's what I found behind the garage area:

image-2.jpegimage-4.jpegimage.jpeg

There were at least 15 ambulances in the sections pictured and about 10, maybe more, ambulances and a few police cars that I didn't get photos of! Most of them still had the exterior lights and light bars.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any tools with me so I was unable to get a lot of the good stuff. I was able to grab these though

image-3.jpeg

image-5.jpeg

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
go get the tools and run back to take all! :)

code3 XL in decent shape would be around 100$ if you ask me or i should say the rate 7 or 8-10.

good stuff you got there,upload more pics when you get all off. :)

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Good deal the junk yards near me want waaay too much for what little they had. if your getting good prices then go for it.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Yep, buy everything you can get, if they are willing to sell and if the prices are good.

Once when I asked to a buy siren from an old ambulance in a junkyard in Sweden the owner told me "No, I don´t want to sell it, I might get in trouble with the insurance company if I sell it".

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The guy who sold you that stuff sounds pretty easy to deal with, especially if he just kinda threw in a Whelen amp for free. With this being known, I think it would be a very good investment to go back with a f#*k ton of tools and liquid wrench and a wad of cash. You could almost definitely pull a small profit or even build a cool little ambulance graveyard collection!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Any lenses off the half bars mounted to the front (or rear) of the ambulance boxes would be of interest to me.

RamCharger

Sep 20, 2014
Alabama
Thanks for all the replys and help, guys! He said $75 on the XL so that sounds like a decent deal then! I'll definitely post some more pics once I go back.

John, 80% of the box's with light bars on them had half bars. Red and clear lenses only though. Strobe, halo, and rotator versions. If your interested in some, let me know and we may be able to work something out.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
How long do you guys think it would take to strip off these ambulances (I counted them to be around 10-12 from the pictures) every lightbar, other lights and sirens?

My guess is that it could take about 2 days?? Sometimes the bolts and screws are hardly rusted on the stuff, and that will take som extra time. 

wmreader

Aug 3, 2012
ETex
Could you make some more pics, especially of the police cars with their bars still mounted? Depending on the type, I may be interested in their lenses/domes.

RamCharger

Sep 20, 2014
Alabama
Is that junk yard in Bibb County near Brent?
No, I'm pretty sure it's in Tuscaloosa County. If your local and are interested in anything, shoot me a PM and I'll give you their number.
Could you make some more pics, especially of the police cars with their bars still mounted? Depending on the type, I may be interested in their lenses/domes.
I'll be sure to take some more pictures. The only police car with a light bar had a Whelen Edge on it. It was completely trashed though, every lense was broken and most of the strobe housings were damaged or missing. I'll try and salvage the power supply, if it's possible.

I Just want to clear up any confusion on the police cars real quick- All of the cars, except the one mentioned above, looked like undercovers and had all the lights pulled a long time ago. Some may still have the strobe packs and flashers though.

When I said: "Most of them still had the exterior lights and light bars." I was referring mainly to the ambulances.

Thanks again everyone!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.