NOS Signal Stat Model 374 BARN FIND.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
I actually found it on craigslist but it was stored for several years and never used. Unfortunately it wasn't stored in a box so there is some surface corrosion in the internals and dried gunk on the inside of the dome but the paper tag that says to remove the tape from the sealed beams is still there as is what's left of the tape.

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_IMG372_zpsdb878f9b.jpg

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_IMG371_zps0d1dbf3c.jpg

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_IMG369_zpsda7e9bdc.jpg

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_IMG370_zpsa30d049a.jpg

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I. AM. JEALOUS. I've been looking for one of these for years. I have one, but it has neither a badge nor a dome that isn't destroyed.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Holy craaaaaaa...

And it has a clear dome to boot!

What a great find!

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Thanks for the comments guys. I have to admit I'm torn on this one. I don't know what direction I should take. I know a lot of collectors are fanatics about restoring to like new condition, I am not one of those. If a light has a "story" I like to leave it. This light has sat for years unused and untouched on a farm in North Carolina and it shows. Sure I could strip it down and polish every nut and screw and remove the remnants of tape etc etc etc, but that is part of the story, part of this lights history. You may be able to replicate what it looked like when it left the factory but this light actually looks like it did when it left the factory only with decades of grime and minor corrosion. The dome hasn't even been removed in all those years, how often do you come across that?

So I'm asking for opinions. Do I leave as is? Do I do a minor cleaning? Do I strip it apart and do a nut and bolt restoration? Or for the right price pass it on to someone else and let it be their dilema?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
This is a tough call. If it was still in its original box, then I'd leave it alone. But, since the box is long gone and it has been exposed to humidity and dirt... I'd lean towards restoring it to factory new condition.

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
wfdstation42 said:
Thanks for the comments guys. I have to admit I'm torn on this one. I don't know what direction I should take. I know a lot of collectors are fanatics about restoring to like new condition, I am not one of those. If a light has a "story" I like to leave it. This light has sat for years unused and untouched on a farm in North Carolina and it shows. Sure I could strip it down and polish every nut and screw and remove the remnants of tape etc etc etc, but that is part of the story, part of this lights history. You may be able to replicate what it looked like when it left the factory but this light actually looks like it did when it left the factory only with decades of grime and minor corrosion. The dome hasn't even been removed in all those years, how often do you come across that?

So I'm asking for opinions. Do I leave as is? Do I do a minor cleaning? Do I strip it apart and do a nut and bolt restoration? Or for the right price pass it on to someone else and let it be their dilema?

:undecided: ... the better you need to do is send it to me and I'll take care of the shine! :)

Cyril

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yeah, ummm, cheaper to ship it to me, I'm in Virginia, not France, so if you are looking to give it away...

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Lucky find! Dang, that's nice. The name tag is in good shape too! Signal Stat beacon tags were notorious for never lasting the test of time in the elements.

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Easy-- if I were going to keep it for display, I would clean up the internals and the dome (although I'd be tempted to do a small dry polish job on it based on what I see!). If not, let it go as is and let the next guy ponder on it! :confused:

AB

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.