NYPD ESU 2012 E-1 truck

Bklyn Phil

Dec 28, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Here's photos of the new NYPD ESU truck 9 made by E-1 (now of Hamburg NY where stainless steel bodies are made). They were responding to a beached whale in Breezy Pt NYC.

Phil, Bklyn

Photo12261343 NYPD ESU Tk 9.jpg

Photo12261344 2012 E 1.jpg

Photo12261340 Whale on beach.jpg

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Nice truck.

I think I read somewhere that the whale died. This may seem like an ignorant question, but why didn't they just push it back into the ocean? I realize that it is heavy and do not mean move it by hand.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Bklyn Phil said:
Here's photos of the new NYPD ESU truck 9 made by E-1 (now of Hamburg NY where stainless steel bodies are made). They were responding to a beached whale in Breezy Pt NYC.

Phil, Bklyn
Nice Pics! Love these new trucks

Dont wanna hijack your thread, but i found some vids on youtube too, Figured everyone would enjoy these trucks...

(This vid is truck 3 not 9, but same setup it looks like)

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
kinnelonfire75 said:
Nice truck.

I think I read somewhere that the whale died. This may seem like an ignorant question, but why didn't they just push it back into the ocean? I realize that it is heavy and do not mean move it by hand.

If you push or pull too hard you'll end up critically injuring the whale because of its weight. No part of its body is designed to withstand the compression or tensile strength anywhere near what its weight is, especially out of water. They are already in the process of dying when beached because their underside is so compressed by out-of-the-water gravity that their organs are being crushed and they have trouble breathing. The only time I've seen them returned to the water was by super-small nudges while the tide rises.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
LRGJr72 said:
Which agency is it on scene there with the two-toned patrol cars?
There is NYPD Highway Patrol, NYPD ESU, and Westchester County PD(the unmarked is Westchester as well). The call, I believe, was on the Bronx River Parkway under Nereid Ave, which I think is RIGHT on the line.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
LRGJr72 said:
Which agency is it on scene there with the two-toned patrol cars?

Correct, the two-toned cars are Westchester County, that's their new paint scheme. The white one is also Westchester County, can't tell if it's the ghost car or just one of their unmarked. As far as the NYPD ESU truck, the NYPD has been using trucks like that for years; so I don't see how it's a waste of a perfectly good fire truck as WS224 states. The amount of gear and equipment they carry on that could be equal to or more then the amount of gear some fire departments may carry on something like that. It's a great reliable truck, that will hopefully serve the NYPD well for many years. The whale from the original post did die, I believe it was sometime over the weekend.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Captain4164 said:
Am I correct to say the square lights above the light bar facing forward are scene/work lights? In the pics they show as clear, in the video they appear red, I assume due to the reflection of the light bar.....
Right, just work lights. Must be the reflection from the Vision SLRs.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Captain4164 said:
Am I correct to say the square lights above the light bar facing forward are scene/work lights? In the pics they show as clear, in the video they appear red, I assume due to the reflection of the light bar.....

Those look like Hella Xenon lights. They're mad expensive and bright as hell.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
philyumpshus said:
Those look like Hella Xenon lights. They're mad expensive and bright as hell.

"Mad expensive and bright as hell" sounds like most lights the city plops on any of its vehicles. I mean, I've even seen a forklift with a new, fully populated liberty. And people wonder where our tax dollars go . . .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.