NYPD To Equip Cars With LED Message Boards

led0987

Jul 13, 2010
Joplin, MO
Kirk @ K&D Lighting said:
I am still trying to figure out why everyone keeps questioning this...the LED Messengers being installed on the NYPD RMP's are made by Whelen, NOT FedSig.

No surprise really. Understanding of course that the NYPD is its own purchasing agency separate from that of the FDNY and City Services, well over 80% of the vehicles in New York City are using Whelen product in some form or another. I believe all new fire and ems vehicles in the last few years have been 100% Whelen. I'm sure some of the NYC followers will know if thats correct or not. I wonder if this will lead to any other Whelen product on the cars?

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
The new FDNY Rigs the 3 mini lightbars are Fed Sig since Whelen couldnt make a bar with LED's and a Rotator on the corners . FDNY wanted for some reason all LED and one Rotator on each end. The rest of the lighting is Whelen.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I can't imagine that ANYONE ignores them, they're all over the place in Virginia - anytime there's construction there's at least one of those trailer-arrow things...

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
VolEms said:
The new FDNY Rigs the 3 mini lightbars are Fed Sig since Whelen couldnt make a bar with LED's and a Rotator on the corners . FDNY wanted for some reason all LED and one Rotator on each end. The rest of the lighting is Whelen.

Actually, Whelen did try to fulfill the FDNY's request for an LED lightbar with one halogen rotator. They created three Mini Centurions with a few 600 Series Super-LED's and a Centurion rotator in each of them. The sample lightbars were (or maybe still are) mounted on Queens Engine 325. In the end, the FDNY liked the Federal Signal Mini Aeros better and went that route. The rear lightbars on the new pumpers are Whelen Mini Libertys as well as all the lower lighting. The new Seagrave Marauder II Tower Ladders have all Federal Signal upper LED lighting and Whelen lower lighting.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Kirk @ K&D Lighting said:
Actually, Whelen did try to fulfill the FDNY's request for an LED lightbar with one halogen rotator. They created three Mini Centurions with a few 600 Series Super-LED's and a Centurion rotator in each of them. The sample lightbars were (or maybe still are) mounted on Queens Engine 325. In the end, the FDNY liked the Federal Signal Mini Aeros better and went that route. The rear lightbars on the new pumpers are Whelen Mini Libertys as well as all the lower lighting. The new Seagrave Marauder II Tower Ladders have all Federal Signal upper LED lighting and Whelen lower lighting.
Got any pix of that, or do you know where I could find them? The ones I've found have Code 3 XL or SD minibars, no Whelen mini-Centurion lights.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
"Are those D&R ones any good?"

yes very happy with mine - controller a bit of a pain as its not backlit but you soon get used to pressing buttons in the dark and not sending the wrong message - It has three "set" arrows, left right and center out as well as your own choice of messages.

strobenj

Jul 16, 2010
Clifton, NJ
Whelen Centurions.....ugh! Definitly not one of their better products. Ended up with several on our PD cars a few years back, the word ugly was an understatement. :eek:

Hate to say it but even as a Whelen fan I would have to choose the Aerodynic over a Centurion if those were the only choices I had.....and I hate Aerodynics.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
The Centurion has the Biggest Rotars out there

The Rumor mill i have been hearing in Whelen is Working on a LED replacement for the Federal LED bars. the Federal stuff does not have Enough Components to be Labeled as made in the USA

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I wish Tomar would make somthing to got the FDNY contract. The Aero's arent that bright. I didnt understand why they would put a mini Liberty over a mini Freedom. I have seen a pic of the Engine with 3 mini Centurions. It didnt look good at all. Hear is a pic of the new trucks with the Aeor and mini Liberty's. Turn down your speakers. http://fdnytrucks.com/

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Its a NYPD thread was just wondering why NYPD went with whelen if Fed Sig has such a strong hold on them. I hope they realise Fed Sig LED's are not the brightest.

led0987

Jul 13, 2010
Joplin, MO
strobenj said:
Not sure how this turned into and FDNY thread but what the heck.........iMO the Whelen Freedoms blow away the Aerodynics on the FDNY trucks.

That was actually my fault. :roll: Although I was only pointing out how even though the NYPD is largely FedSig, Whelen is all over the city. Ergo, its likely NYPD decision makers have been through the Whelen product with a magnifying glass at one point or another.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
kitn1mcc said:
The Rumor mill i have been hearing in Whelen is Working on a LED replacement for the Federal LED bars. the Federal stuff does not have Enough Components to be Labeled as made in the USA

Do you mean that Whelen is working on a lightbar equipped with LED modules AND rotating lamps? Aren't the Centurion, the Val-U-Bar and the Delta all dead? This sounds like the return of the AdvantEdge 4000 Series to me.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
VolEms said:
I hope they realise Fed Sig LED's are not the brightest.

Depends on the product. Some of their lightheads (ViperS2, ViperEXT) are pretty dang bright. I haven't seen any of the comparable bars... so I can't really speak to those.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Do you mean that Whelen is working on a lightbar equipped with LED modules AND rotating lamps? Aren't the Centurion, the Val-U-Bar and the Delta all dead? This sounds like the return of the AdvantEdge 4000 Series to me.

I know they're still selling the Val-u-bar.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
To get off the subject of NYPD signboards, I spotted this in a motel parking lot off I-80 in Pennsylvania this afternoon, on its way to the Seagrave dealer in NJ and eventually to E-7 in Manhattan, showing closeup pic of FedSig's hybrid minibar:

ai294.photobucket.com_albums_mm116_NPS_Ranger_P1020213a.jpg

ai294.photobucket.com_albums_mm116_NPS_Ranger_P1020215a.jpg

ai294.photobucket.com_albums_mm116_NPS_Ranger_P1020214a.jpg

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Nice catch! Love the pics. It looks like they added the Golight. I think they should of put the Whelen Pioneer. Not a fan of the mini Libertys on Fire Trucks. Bring bach the Freedoms.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
kitn1mcc said:
no it is a special new bar for NYPD

I'm sorry; I must've misread your original comment. I thought you were referring to the mini-bars on the FDNY apparatus, not the full-size lightbars on the NYPD fleet. Naturally, my question is this: will this be a brand-new lightbar manufactured by Whelen, or will this be a special version of an existing product? Having recalled that at one time the NYPD lightbar specs could only be met by Federal's non-linear lightbars, I'm curious to see how Whelen can comply with using an existing product or developing a new bar without infringing upon Federal's patent.

Also, am I understanding correctly that Federal's products are not produced in the USA anymore? Where can I learn more info about the final assembly and the origins of their product's components?

led0987

Jul 13, 2010
Joplin, MO
Kevin K. said:
Also, am I understanding correctly that Federal's products are not produced in the USA anymore? Where can I learn more info about the final assembly and the origins of their product's components?

That probably should be the start of a whole new thread. The whole USA discussion tends to bring everyone out of the woods.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
unlisted said:
weird- the MTO in my area still uses those freaking useless POS amber Whelen messenger boards.. Maybe I will go poke around the MTO lot on Monday again, see if they have upgraded.

Are those D&R ones any good?

While youre there, tell them to leave me alone! I want to go back in business!

they do work good, theyre triple the height of the whelen ones. Gen2 i think also.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
I saw one the other day in person at the fleet yard. it actually looks pretty good from far, surprisingly. How often will it be used by the officer in the RMP??? not too sure lol. Cool nonetheless

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
I won't engage in a pissing match about the validity of the "Made in the USA" label attached to any particular product, as I do believe it's extremely difficult nowadays to find any one product made entirely of American parts. While I do try to buy items made in the USA (or Canada), it's extraordinarily difficult to do so.

I guess a more poignant question would be this: is the NYPD moving away from Federal Signal because their products have a larger percentage of foreign-made components than Whelen? As I've written earlier, I believe that only Federal can meet the NYPD specs for lightbars, as it would typically require either a VISTA, Arjent or V-Shaped platform to do so. Maybe Whelen is doing something with the Delta, as it can offer non-linear warning capabilities, although (I think) not to the same degree as the Federal products.

I love the Vision SLR, and it appeared to me that the newest iteration of the V-LED platform would be a solid offering for an agency like the NYPD. It'd be a serious blow to Federal Signal should they lose the NYPD to Whelen, even with the SLR on its way.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Just look what you wrote Only Fed Sig can meet the NYPD Specs. Thats becouse someone in the NYPD is getting big kickbacks from fed sig for the multi million dollar contract so the specs were written for them. I once heard that in order not to flood the market with used Vision bars they make sure to break them when they uninstall them. I know it sounds crazy but this is life in NY. Look at the former NYPD Commisiner hes going to Jail . I hope that another company gets a shot at the NYPD contract. I dont think Fed Sig LED's are bright anyway, just look at the RMP's you always see lamps that are out or the new HAW LED's in the front corners you cant see them even at night. Im not saying got to China but open the market to the USA. If you look all NYPD Highway patrol cars have WHELEN slimlighters Tir6 in the rear and front windows. Fed Sig is not the be all and end all.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
VolEms said:
we all know the NYPD is Currupt. I once heard that in order not to flood the market with used Vision bars they make sure to break them when they uninstall them. I know it sounds crazy but this is life in NY.

God only knows where you get your information from :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I'll leave it at that and not start a pissing match.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
On another note what I don't like about these is that they did away with the traffic advisor (which only works 1/2 the time anyway). Ehhh they wont be citywide for years anyway. Only the high profile precincts are getting them now...

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
It has preprogrammed messages. I believe it has move right and arrows moving to the right. I guess that would replace the TA.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.