NYPD Undercover Taxi-IS THIS REAL?

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Dont know if I would want to stop for a "taxi cruiser" in fear it may be some moron whacker out for his jollies. Wanna pull me over? Get a marked cruiser.

squad51lfc

Jun 15, 2010
royersford,pa
lets not forget that the nyc taxi and limo commission uses them as well , looking for "gypsy cabs " stealing fares and what not ....i happen to have at one time owned a cab company outside nyc .. ....

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
LE agencies around here have used vehicles set up to look like Taxis..

Stendec

May 21, 2010
FireEMSPolice said:
Did they come complete with a Somalian?..lol

I dont know of any Somalian CPD officers..lol

And that, kids, is why the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission requires 24 hours of training on Cultural Diversity, with a section devoted just to Somali immigrants.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Sorry, I didnt mean to sound inappropriate in any way. Columbus has the 2nd highest Somali populations in the country, many of which are cabbies around here (I have experienced). Guess it was a bad attempt at humor.

Yes, I have been through Cultural Diversity class.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
FireEMSPolice said:
I dont know of any Somalian CPD officers..lol

Never claimed it was CPD anyway....

cory y

May 21, 2010
Political correctiveness has ruined the country. Everybody is soo afraid of hurting somebody elses feelings. Grow some thicker skin people

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I went through Cultural Diversity Training today... lol It was actually pretty interesting, we had a guest speaker from DHS. I think I might have actually learned something, and I got paid for it, so no complaints.

*thread hijack over, you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming* :p

biggusjmanus

May 24, 2010
ON
TheGatekeeper said:
Toronto Metro.ontario-undercover-police-taxi.jpg[/attachment:qwazh3z8]

It's Halton Regional, in Georgetown, ON, about 40 minutes west of Toronto. They had unmarked traffic car with a taxi sign on the roof. The taxi sign showed the PD's phone number and had "police" clearly on it. People complained and it was removed.

Tallen

Aug 20, 2010
Southern New Hampshire
Heres a pic I took years and years ago of a couple of the the Mass units while still plated, but heading for decomission:

[Broken External Image]:http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeopzls/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/842.jpg

A year or two ago I saw that caprice from the above picture in a junk yard, and the 96 Vic in another junk yard... I actually took two of the wheels/tires of the crown vic.

one of the Mass units at auction in 2005:

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_226721_fullsize_july21_049.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_226720_fullsize_july21_048.jpg

Couple more at Mass auction in 2007

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504965_fullsize_picture_008.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504966_fullsize_picture_009.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504968_fullsize_picture_011.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504992_fullsize_picture_034.jpg

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Unfairness maybe ? :lol:

How ironic for those ex police taxis... Some wouldve had two lives. First as a cab, second as a cab. How sad for a P71 pure bred.. :cry:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
biggusjmanus said:
Sneaky and unfair. They should have left it on. I thought it was hilarious; hiding in plain sight.

"Wahhhh!!!! the police were hiding. If I knew they were there I never woulda comitted the vilation. "

Simple answer, don't comit the violation at all.

F-ing whiners. Too bad the city listened to them.

In Ohio, police cars used for traffic enforcement must be marked and have a roof light..... so no undercover taxis here

"4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol.

Effective Date: 10-25-1979"

I wonder why this was enacted? Impersonation? fairness? Whining?

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
A prius or one of those scion box cars

'nuff said.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
yeah... The slow up and down pattern is really neat... Can't see any old fashioned dash beacon though ??

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I have seen a video of a NYPD taxi that had strobe HAW's in the taxi light, aong with dash and strobe HAWS in the back up lamps.

I like the LED HAWS in that NYPD Altima Taxi, be cool if they put some LED HAWS in the taxi light and roof turn signals.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
That's correct, the old CVPIs had HAW in their taxi sign (and usually a FB teardrop on the dash !)

May 22, 2010
New York City
TheGatekeeper said:
That's correct, the old CVPIs had HAW in their taxi sign (and usually a FB teardrop on the dash !)

actually seen one still in service last nite on shore parkway in brooklyn along side the belt pkwy, it was a highway 2 unit

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Tallen said:
Heres a pic I took years and years ago of a couple of the the Mass units while still plated, but heading for decomission:

[Broken External Image]:http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeopzls/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/842.jpg

A year or two ago I saw that caprice from the above picture in a junk yard, and the 96 Vic in another junk yard... I actually took two of the wheels/tires of the crown vic.

one of the Mass units at auction in 2005:

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_226721_fullsize_july21_049.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_226720_fullsize_july21_048.jpg

Couple more at Mass auction in 2007

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504965_fullsize_picture_008.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504966_fullsize_picture_009.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504968_fullsize_picture_011.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_504992_fullsize_picture_034.jpg

Is that auction yard on an old airfield in New Braintree, MA? I went to the place where the MASP does their training with cars, which is an old airfield, and actually got some training doing a few police officer driving manuevers. While I was there, I saw that they kept all of their decomisioned cars there for auction. Was pretty cool, saw corvettes, mustangs, etc.. a lot of cars I didn't know the MASP had!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.