NYPD Unmarked Package LEDs?

Black_9C1

Oct 22, 2013
New York
I've been looking around for a while now, trying to figure out what brand and model LEDs the Unmarked post 2006 Impalas are using in NYC.

Particularly, I'd like to know what the grille lights are. I've seen them in person, and they work great!

Also, Why have all the unmarkeds that I have seen recently have deck lights? Wouldn't a mount at the top of the rear window be better and less noticeable when not in use??

Same question about the dash...why not top of windshield instead???

Lastly....I'm a bit old and still like the old Kojak bubble. I have seen a few older ranking guys still have one...nothing else on or for the dash. Of course, it's usually on the floor.... Is this safe??

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Rich

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Black_9C1 said:
I've been looking around for a while now, trying to figure out what brand and model LEDs the Unmarked post 2006 Impalas are using in NYC.

Particularly, I'd like to know what the grille lights are. I've seen them in person, and they work great!

Also, Why have all the unmarkeds that I have seen recently have deck lights? Wouldn't a mount at the top of the rear window be better and less noticeable when not in use??

Same question about the dash...why not top of windshield instead???

Lastly....I'm a bit old and still like the old Kojak bubble. I have seen a few older ranking guys still have one...nothing else on or for the dash. Of course, it's usually on the floor.... Is this safe??

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Rich

I don't know the exact specs by vehicle year, but (if I recall correctly) most of the NYPD lights around that time were federal signal cuda grill & rear deck lights. Dual Vipers were commonly used for dash lights, but they also used halogen red dash lights.

A few years ago, they started using dual vipers on the rear deck.

I think rear headliner lights in sedans suck, b/c they significantly block visibility. Also, because most RMPs are marked with a lightbar, it's easier for them to mount rear deck lights in the same place on marked & unmarked units IMO.

However, there are a lot of variations on NYPD installs. A lot of unmarked NYPD cars & SUVs used GenI R/C slimlighters, and highway patrol uses TIR6 slimlighters on dash & deck, etc

NYPD isn't particularly well-known for having effective 360 warning packages on their unmarked units. You may have an unmarked car with red TIR grill lights, HLF, halogen dash light & HAWs, while another unit may just have HLF, TLF & some HAWs. Anti-crime units, in particular, usually have a lot less lights than other unmarked units. Basically, lighting packages in NYPD can vary, depending on the division/unit they're assigned to

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I think you are getting unmarked and undercover confused. NYPD has a lot of undercover cars that you don't know about, their unmarked cars are just a little more stealthier then RMPs. Yea I think they were really big into Cudas with grille lights and rear deck lights a one point, but it varies. You will see some Whelen, some FedSig, and maybe even some Code3(doubt it though) also different installers, some are local, and some are fleet. Also the cars are heavily tinted. The new NGPIs have a factory option for the roof mounted Ions.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The current unmarked NYPD setup is LAW's, high beam flashers, I think they've gone to FedSig Impaxx in the grille. And then the other three lights are Vipers: one white/red above the RVM and two blue/red on the rear deck.

As lafd55 said, the unmarked cars aren't undercover cars, they're just a bit stealthier than the impossible to miss white 'n blue NYPD RMP's. Many of the undercover cars are very well camouflaged, with minimal lighting. The unmarked cars are pretty uniform though.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Hell, an Impala with heavily tinted windows, steel wheels and center caps with possibly one or 2 antennas on the trunk will definitely by NYPD, I think most people who look out for cops know that.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Well, their 2015 cars are awesome anyway... I'd trade that company car for mine any day !

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Some of the New PD Cars no longer have the Fed Sig Impaxx, as they have started using the Fed Sig MicroPulse (They were Cross Compatible between the Fusions, Interceptors etc), with the exception of the Vans, they still use Impaxx.
The Impaxx only fit in the IMpala, so rather than getting separate, they just started to use MicroPulse throughout..or

octoberguy77

May 15, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
The Federal Signal Cuda LED's don't have a sync capability so you would need to set them to steady and use an LED flasher...I would recommend using Whelen Dual Talons for the front and rear... and Whelen LINZ6's for the rear deck and behind the grille. I would use a HLF as well as LED hideaways in reverse, taillights and marker lights too.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.