C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
LawrenceM1993 said:
Red: Police, Fire, EMS vehicles, Fire Chiefs, EMS Captains
White: Supplement to Red only

Blue: Vol. Fire (with permit), Rear on Police

Green: Vol EMS (with permit)

Amber: Utilities, Plow, etc. (no permit needed)

Purple: No laws, but usually on funeral vehicles only

Sirens: Police/Fire/EMS vehicles, Fire Chiefs, EMS Captains

Just wanted to make it a little clearer :D

Close, but fire apparatus can now have blue to the rear also.

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
tarheel3559 said:
Actually NC MVC states that it's illegal to run white to the rear, although it's not enforced. SHP has been complying with this as of the past few years by removing all the white to the rear and replacing it with amber. The only white to the rear I see nowadays is with local PDs and POVs seem to still do what they want.

The statute says no white to the rear while in forward motion because it is referring to steady-burn white reverse lights, not emergency lights.

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
North Carolina

§ 20 130.1. Use of red or blue lights on vehicles prohibited; exceptions.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to install or activate or operate a red light in or on any vehicle in this State. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "red light" means an operable red light not sealed in the manufacturer's original package which: (i) is designed for use by an emergency vehicle or is similar in appearance to a red light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and (ii) can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery, vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery. As used in this subsection, the term "red light" shall also mean any forward facing red light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle.

( B) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section do not apply to the following:

(1) A police car;

(2) A highway patrol car;

(3) A vehicle owned by the Wildlife Resources Commission and operated exclusively for law enforcement purposes;

(4) An ambulance;

(5) A vehicle used by an organ procurement organization or agency for the recovery and transportation of blood, human tissues, or organs for transplantation;

(6) A fire fighting vehicle;

(7) A school bus;

(8) A vehicle operated by any member of a municipal or rural fire department in the performance of his duties, regardless of whether members of that fire department are paid or voluntary;

(9) A vehicle of a voluntary lifesaving organization (including the private vehicles of the members of such an organization) that has been officially approved by the local police authorities and which is manned or operated by members of that organization while answering an official call;

(10) A vehicle operated by medical doctors or anesthetists in emergencies;

(11) A motor vehicle used in law enforcement by the sheriff, or any salaried rural policeman in any county, regardless of whether or not the county owns the vehicle;

(11a) A vehicle operated by the State Fire Marshal or his representatives in the performance of their duties, whether or not the State owns the vehicle;

(12) A vehicle operated by any county fire marshal, assistant fire marshal, or emergency management coordinator in the performance of his duties, regardless of whether or not the county owns the vehicle;

(13) A light required by the Federal Highway Administration;

(14) A vehicle operated by a transplant coordinator who is an employee of an organ procurement organization or agency when the transplant coordinator is responding to a call to recover or transport human tissues or organs for transplantation;

(15) A vehicle operated by an emergency medical service as an emergency support vehicle;

(16) A State emergency management vehicle; and

(17) An Incident Management Assistance Patrol vehicle operated by the Department of Transportation, when using rear facing red lights while stopped for the purpose of providing assistance or incident management.

© It is unlawful for any person to possess a blue light or to install, activate, or operate a blue light in or on any vehicle in this State, except for a publicly owned vehicle used for law enforcement purposes or any other vehicle when used by law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "blue light" means any forward facing blue light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle; or an operable blue light which:

(1) Is not (i) being installed on, held in inventory for the purpose of being installed on, or held in inventory for the purpose of sale for installation on a vehicle on which it may be lawfully operated or (ii) installed on a vehicle which is used solely for the purpose of demonstrating the blue light for sale to law enforcement personnel;

(1a) Is designed for use by an emergency vehicle, or is similar in appearance to a blue light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and

(2) Can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery, the vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery.

(c1) The provisions of subsection © of this section do not apply to the possession and installation of an inoperable blue light on a vehicle that is inspected by and registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles as a specially constructed vehicle and that is used primarily for participation in shows, exhibitions, parades, or holiday/weekend activities, and not for general daily transportation. For purposes of this subsection, "inoperable blue light" means a blue colored lamp housing or cover that does not contain a lamp or other mechanism having the ability to produce or emit illumination.

Nothing contained in this Chapter shall prohibit the use of electronically modulated headlamps on motorcycles, law enforcement and fire department vehicles, county fire marshals and Emergency Management coordinators, public and private ambulances, and rescue squad emergency service vehicles.

§ 20 130.3. Use of white or clear lights on rear of vehicles prohibited; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully drive a motor vehicle in forward motion upon the highways of this State displaying white or clear lights on the rear of said vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the white light required by G.S. 20 129(d) or so called backup lights lighted only when said vehicle is in reverse gear or backing. Violation of this section does not constitute negligence per se in any civil action. (1973, c. 1071.)

§ 20 125. Horns and warning devices.

(a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, and it shall be unlawful, except as otherwise provided in this section, for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use upon a vehicle any siren, compression or spark plug whistle or for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonable loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. All such horns and warning devices shall be maintained in good working order and shall conform to regulation not inconsistent with this section to be promulgated by the Commissioner.

( B) Every vehicle owned and operated by a police department or by the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety including the State Highway Patrol or by the Wildlife Resources Commission or the Division of Marine Fisheries and used exclusively for law enforcement purposes, or by the Division of Emergency Management, or by a fire department, either municipal or rural, or by a fire patrol, whether such fire department or patrol be a paid organization or a voluntary association, vehicles used by an organ procurement organization or agency for the recovery and transportation of human tissues and organs for transplantation, and every ambulance or emergency medical service emergency support vehicle used for answering emergency calls, shall be equipped with special lights, bells, sirens, horns or exhaust whistles of a type approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.

The operators of all such vehicles so equipped are hereby authorized to use such equipment at all times while engaged in the performance of their duties and services, both within their respective corporate limits and beyond.

In addition to the use of special equipment authorized and required by this subsection, the chief and assistant chiefs of any police department or of any fire department, whether the same be municipal or rural, paid or voluntary, county fire marshals, assistant fire marshals, transplant coordinators, and emergency management coordinators, are hereby authorized to use such special equipment on privately owned vehicles operated by them while actually engaged in the performance of their official or semiofficial duties or services either within or beyond their respective corporate limits.

And vehicles driven by law enforcement officers of the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles shall be equipped with a bell, siren, or exhaust whistle of a type approved by the Commissioner, and all vehicles owned and operated by the State Bureau of Investigation for the use of its agents and officers in the performance of their official duties may be equipped with special lights, bells, sirens, horns or exhaust whistles of a type approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.

Every vehicle used or operated for law enforcement purposes by the sheriff or any salaried deputy sheriff or salaried rural policeman of any county, whether owned by the county or not, may be, but is not required to be, equipped with special lights, bells, sirens, horns or exhaust whistles of a type approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Such special equipment shall not be operated or activated by any person except by a law enforcement officer while actively engaged in performing law enforcement duties.

In addition to the use of special equipment authorized and required by this subsection, the chief and assistant chiefs of each emergency rescue squad which is recognized or sponsored by any municipality or civil preparedness agency, are hereby authorized to use such special equipment on privately owned vehicles operated by them while actually engaged in their official or semiofficial duties or services either within or beyond the corporate limits of the municipality which recognizes or sponsors such organization.

tarheel3559

May 23, 2010
North Carolina
theolog said:
The statute says no white to the rear while in forward motion because it is referring to steady-burn white reverse lights, not emergency lights.

Fyrboy quoted the section of the NCGS above and it does not state an exception for emergency lights. I agree it does state that it's while in forward motion. However, to me that would include white emergency lights running while the vehicle is moving. I believe the intention was for the reverse lights to be the only white to ever be displayed to the rear of a vehicle. Just my opinion though.

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
tarheel3559 said:
Fyrboy quoted the section of the NCGS above and it does not state an exception for emergency lights. I agree it does state that it's while in forward motion. However, to me that would include white emergency lights running while the vehicle is moving. I believe the intention was for the reverse lights to be the only white to ever be displayed to the rear of a vehicle. Just my opinion though.

We're almost saying the same exact thing. That statute does not address emergency lighting, and we agree that it is definitely a reference to reverse lights. Though I I agree that it can be read either way. Rear-facing clear or white emergency lighting could only (at best) be considered a technical violation that is not in the spirit of the statute, and I don't think they are even that.

Hide-a-ways are an industry standard, and other clear/white emergency lights are commonplace. So this is simply a case where law hasn't caught up with reality. It's meant to prohibit steady-burn halogen type lights from being illuminated while vehicles are in forward motion because that can create a potential hazard and/or confusion. Flashing lights are not likely to be confused in the same manner or present a hazard.

We've got a local wrecker that has an 8-strobe edge with all clear lenses. Not an amber light on the thing! Now that is a violation on two counts! :D

ncfireman1918

Jun 15, 2010
Mocksville, NC
I'm not going to get on my curteousy lights in NC soapbox. It irritates me every time a car won't yield their right of way when I'm heading to a call that it is not important enough for me to run emergency traffic, until I get to the station and hop in the big ass expensive truck. THEN I get a siren (and still don't get people to move ).

Last edited by a moderator:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
ncfireman1918 said:
I'm not going to get on my curteousy lights in NC soapbox. It irritates me every time a car won't yield their right of way when I'm heading to a call that it is not important enough for me to run emergency traffic, until I get to the station and hop in the big ass expensive truck. THEN I get a siren (and still don't get people to move ).

That's my whole problem with courtesy lights too...

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
theolog said:
We're almost saying the same exact thing. That statute does not address emergency lighting, and we agree that it is definitely a reference to reverse lights. Though I I agree that it can be read either way. Rear-facing clear or white emergency lighting could only (at best) be considered a technical violation that is not in the spirit of the statute, and I don't think they are even that.

Hide-a-ways are an industry standard, and other clear/white emergency lights are commonplace. So this is simply a case where law hasn't caught up with reality. It's meant to prohibit steady-burn halogen type lights from being illuminated while vehicles are in forward motion because that can create a potential hazard and/or confusion. Flashing lights are not likely to be confused in the same manner or present a hazard.

We've got a local wrecker that has an 8-strobe edge with all clear lenses. Not an amber light on the thing! Now that is a violation on two counts! :D

The truck I drive at work has rear facing work lights. I have set them to flash because I've had people think they were reverse lights even though they are mounted in the lightbar and sit on top of a lowboy truck. Also they were set to flash so they wouldn't blind the crap out of me and other drivers in the dark and I can still see what I'm doing.

Dave

May 21, 2010
bath ny
LawrenceM1993 said:
Red: Police, Fire, EMS vehicles, Fire Chiefs, EMS Captains
White: Supplement to Red only

Blue: Vol. Fire (with permit), Rear on Police

Green: Vol EMS (with permit)

Amber: Utilities, Plow, etc. (no permit needed)

Purple: No laws, but usually on funeral vehicles only

Sirens: Police/Fire/EMS vehicles, Fire Chiefs, EMS Captains

Just wanted to make it a little clearer :D

"Article 9, § 375 (41).

Colored and flashing lights.

The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law.

1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

2. Red lights and certain white lights.

One or more red or combination red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

4. Blue light.

a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicle, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicle. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles unless such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

c. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a police vehicle.

5. Green light.

One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service, or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family, or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed, provided such member has been authorized in writing to so affix a green light by the chief officer of such service as designated by the members thereof. Such green light may be displayed by such member of a volunteer ambulance service only when engaged in an emergency operation.

6. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate regulations with respect to the affixing and display of colored lights and to promulgate specifications with respect to such lights.

§ 1144. Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle equipped with at least one lighted lamp exhibiting red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of such vehicle other than a police vehicle or bicycle when operated as an authorized emergency vehicle, and when audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle by siren, exhaust whistle, bell, air-horn or electronic equivalent; the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right of way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway, or to either edge of a one-way roadway three or more lanes in width, clear of any intersection, and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by a police officer.

( B) This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with reasonable care for all persons using the highway.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Dave said:
"Article 9, § 375 (41).
...words...

That's the old Article. It has since been updated to state....

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle and fire vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle and fire vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle and fire vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicles, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicles. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle and fire vehicle when such vehicles are engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles and fire vehicles unless such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
gman021 said:
NC - state law forbids fitting POV's with sirens, but lights (except for wig-wags) are allowed. POV response with lights is allowed, but the responder must strictly adhere to state and local traffic laws. Also, each individual department sets it's own individual regulations regarding POV response.

For the sirens in POVs, Chiefs and Assistant Chiefs are permitted to have sirens. I have had a siren in my POV since becoming a Chief Officer 5 1/2 years ago. If you are not a Chief Officer and get caught with a siren, you can expect a very heavy ticket if the right LEO stops you. I have seen it done many many times.

RES1CUE said:
to add to:
NC: Chief and Asst Chief Officers can utilize wig wags and siren with no permit/inspection/whatever.. Red.Clear.Amber or any combination off for Fire and/or EMS. Blue.Clear.Amber and any combo of for LEO.
I have yet to see a State Trooper that says Chiefs and Assistant Chiefs can use wig-wags on POVs. I never never received a positive answer when asking this question to any law enforcement officer. In the NCGS Chapter 20 (that fyrboy quoted), there is a mention of "electronically modulated headlights" being allowed on vehicles owned by the state, county cities, rescue squads and fire departments, but no clear allowance for POVs of Chief fire officers.

tarheel3559 said:
Actually NC MVC states that it's illegal to run white to the rear, although it's not enforced. SHP has been complying with this as of the past few years by removing all the white to the rear and replacing it with amber. The only white to the rear I see nowadays is with local PDs and POVs seem to still do what they want.
My Chief and myself were told by one of the command sergeants with SHP that as long as you have another color showing with the white emergency lights to the rear you were ok, as long as the beam and path of the light does not shine directly in driver's eyes. I haven't seen an NCSHP car with HAW strobes in my part of the state in years. They do have dual Code 3 LEDx lights on the rear decks of the slicktops, one is Blue/Amber and the other is Blue/White.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
I have a question about IL. I know about the blue light laws, but have a question about red. A few years ago fire/ems chiefs started being allowed to run red also. Does anyone know if this goes for Asst. Chiefs also? I've heard yes and no. I tried googling it, but didn't have any luck.

Dan

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
SBFD-E-9 said:
I have a question about IL. I know about the blue light laws, but have a question about red. A few years ago fire/ems chiefs started being allowed to run red also. Does anyone know if this goes for Asst. Chiefs also? I've heard yes and no. I tried googling it, but didn't have any luck.

Dan

I would venture to guess that as long as 'Chief' is somewhere in your title, you would be fine. I doubt officers are counting bugles & comparing lighting colors.

Again, I have absolutely no idea and probably shouldn't have even replied.

mpaine

Dec 20, 2011
USA
I am hijackining this from a CA light law thread into a general state light law discussion. Put the state as the title of your reply.

OP as listed

Post Hijacked by

John Marcson

op- Okay, YES, I did use the search function, and couldn't find anything that answered my question. WHY does CA require a steady burning light to the front of EVs?

Lektricman

Aug 31, 2011
Central CA
They use this because it is a light indicating to drivers in front to either pull over or to move out of the way.

There is a vehicle code were every emergency vehicle has to have atleast one red steady burn light visible up to 1000ft.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
California Vehicle Code Section 25252. (An emergency vehicle shall have steady burning red light facing forward of the vehicle to be visible for at least 1000 Feet from the vehicle and at least one rear facing amber light. Of course Federal emergency vehicles are exempt from the law, but all other fire/police/ems units have to follow.

As far as I know Cali is the only state with that law... Why, that is the question. Some say it is because motorists can't use the excuse they didn't see the lights and some say that they act as a red light to stop just like a vehicles stop lights to the rear. I'm sure there are other explanations and stories for the law. The steady burn law has been around for a very long time and most likely wont ever get changed.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
It gives the human a constant focal point that helps a person track the movement of the vehicle as well. It is not a bad idea.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I have not found any annotation indicating when the requirement was first implemented. It obviously goes back at least into the 50s/60s (tv shows) and probably much further.

People have ideas as to why it exists, but reading the supporting material as it made its way through the legislature would probably be interesting. Not sure how to get hold of that stuff.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
When the rule was first written, the choice was a clear light or a red light, steady burning or flashing. There were no rotating lights. Tradition, the fact that it is easier to leave a law on the books than vote it off, are why it is still in use.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
While on the CA law topic...

The cake... errr I mean rear amber light, is a lie... it is specifically allowed... but not required.... it's common practice, NFPA, KKK and CHP.... so pretty much everyone in CA.... Also you only have to use the siren "as reasonably necessary". Anyway here are the CA laws I think are applicable.

Here are the full laws....taken from

http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp810.pdf

2012 California Vehicle Code Table of Contents

Exemption of Authorized Emergency Vehicles

21055. The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle is exempt from Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 21350), Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 21650), Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 21800), Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 21950), Chapter 6 (commencing with 22100), Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 22348), Chapter 8 (commencing with Section 22450), Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 22500), and Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 22650) of this division, and Article 3 (commencing with Section 38305) and Article 4 (commencing with Section 38312) of Chapter 5 of Division 16.5, under all of the following conditions:

(a) If the vehicle is being driven in response to an emergency call or while engaged in rescue operations or is being used in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or is responding to, but not returning from, a fire alarm, except that fire department vehicles are exempt whether directly responding to an emergency call or operated from one place to another as rendered desirable or necessary by reason of an emergency call and operated to the scene of the emergency or operated from one fire station to another or to some other location by reason of the emergency call.

( B) If the driver of the vehicle sounds a siren as may be reasonably necessary and the vehicle displays a lighted red lamp visible from the front as a warning to other drivers and pedestrians.

A siren shall not be sounded by an authorized emergency vehicle except when required under this section.

Use of Red Warning Light

25269. No person shall display a flashing or steady burning red warning light on a vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists.

Authorized Emergency Vehicles

21806. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle which is sounding a siren and which has at least one lighted lamp exhibiting red light that is visible, under normal atmospheric conditions, from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle, the surrounding traffic shall, except as otherwise directed by a traffic officer, do the following:

(a) (1) Except as required under paragraph (2), the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of any intersection, and thereupon shall stop and remain stopped until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

(2) A person driving a vehicle in an exclusive or preferential use lane shall exit that lane immediately upon determining that the exit can be accomplished with reasonable safety.

( B) The operator of every street car shall immediately stop the street car, clear of any intersection, and remain stopped until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

© All pedestrians upon the highway shall proceed to the nearest curb or place of safety and remain there until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

Legislative Policy: Red Lights and Sirens

30. It is declared as a matter of legislative policy that red lights and sirens on vehicles should be restricted to authorized emergency vehicles engaged in police, fire and lifesaving services; and that other types of vehicles which are engaged in activities which create special hazards upon the highways should be equipped with flashing amber warning lamps.

Chapter 2. Lighting Equipment -WARNING LAMPS

§ 671. General Lighting Equipment.

Lighting equipment other than that specified in the following sections of this article shall be aimed so the center of the beam produced by the major filament is parallel to the road and projects directly to the front, side, or rear, depending on mounting location. Adjustable warning lamps in movable spotlamp type housings shall be aimed in the direction selected by the vehicle driver to provide adequate warning to other traffic.

§ 685. Installation and Maintenance.

Lighting equipment shall be securely mounted on a rigid part of the vehicle to prevent noticeable vibration of the beam and shall be maintained with the proper aim when the vehicle is stationary and in motion. No lighting device, unless otherwise permitted, shall be mounted so any portion of the vehicle, load, or vehicle equipment interferes with the distribution of light or decreases its intensity within the photometric test angles unless an additional device is installed so the combination of the two meets these requirements. Mounting heights shall be measured from the center of the lamp or reflector to the level surface upon which the vehicle stands when it is without load.

§ 686. Mounting of Aftermarket Devices.

Aftermarket lamps, with orientation markings such as "top" shall be mounted in accordance with the markings. Sealed and semisealed optical units shall be installed with the lettering on the lens face right side up. Front and rear reflex reflectors shall be securely mounted on a rigid part of the vehicle with the plane of the lens perpendicular to the roadway and parallel to the rear axle. Side reflex reflectors shall be mounted with the lens face perpendicular to the roadway and parallel to the rear wheels. Aftermarket devices with nonadjustable housings shall be mounted with the base on a horizontal or vertical surface, whichever is appropriate, unless different mounting instructions are included with such devices when offered for sale.

§ 700. Warning Lamps.

Required front warning lamps . . . shall be mounted so the entire projected area of the lens is visible from all eye heights of drivers of other vehicles at angles within 45 deg left to 45 deg right of the front of the vehicle. If the light within these required angles is blocked by the vehicle or any substantial object on it, an additional warning lamp shall be displayed within the obstructed angle. Warning lamps may be mounted at any height.

§ 810. Scope.

This article applies to warning lamps for emergency vehicles . . . governed by Vehicle Code Sections 25252 through 25278.

§ 811. Definitions.

(a) A "warning lamp" is a lamp designed for use on authorized emergency vehicles . . . to indicate the existence of a traffic hazard or to signal other drivers to stop or yield the right of way. . . .

(e) A "flashing lamp" is a lamp in which the emitted light in a particular direction alternates between on and off either electrically by controlling the current or mechanically by a revolving, oscillating, or other mechanism.

(f) A "steady burning lamp" is a lamp in which the emitted light in any direction is uninterrupted.

§ 812. Classification of Warning Lamps.

Five classes of warning lamps are established as follows:

Class A: High intensity, concentrated-beam lamp

Class B: Moderate intensity, wide-beam lamp

Class C: High intensity, wide-beam lamp . . .

Class E: Revolving, oscillating, or gaseous discharge lamp

§ 818. Type of Warning Lamps Used on Emergency Vehicles . . .

Warning lamps on emergency vehicles . . . shall be of the following types:

(a) Required Red Warning Lamps on Authorized Emergency Vehicles. The steady burning red warning lamp required to be visible to the front of an authorized emergency vehicle by Vehicle Code Section 25252 shall be a Class A, B or C warning lamp. . . .

( B) Permitted Additional Red Warning Lamps on Authorized Emergency Vehicles. The additional steady burning or flashing red warning lamp permitted by Vehicle Code Section 25252 shall be a Class A, B, C, or E warning lamp.

© Permitted Yellow Warning Lamps on Authorized Emergency Vehicles. The additional flashing yellow warning lamp permitted on authorized emergency vehicles by Vehicle Code Section 25259 shall be a Class B, C, or E warning lamp. . . .

(d) Permitted Blue Warning Lamps on Police Vehicles. The additional flashing or steady burning blue warning lamp permitted by Vehicle Code Section 25258( B) shall be Class B, C,

Sirens

27002. No vehicle, except an authorized emergency vehicle, shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle any siren except that an authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with a siren meeting requirements established by the department.

Sirens on Armored Cars

27003. An armored car may be equipped with a siren which may be used while resisting armed robbery. At all other times, the siren shall not be sounded. The authority to use a siren granted by this section does not constitute an armored car an authorized emergency vehicle, and all other provisions of this code applicable to drivers of vehicles apply to drivers of armored cars.

Sirens and Illegal Speed of Escorts

21057. Every police and traffic officer is hereby expressly prohibited from using a siren or driving at an illegal speed when serving as an escort of any vehicle, except when the escort or conveyance is furnished for the preservation of life or when expediting movements of supplies and personnel for any federal, state, or local governmental agency during a national emergency, or state of war emergency, or state of emergency, or local emergency as defined in Section 8558 of the Government Code.

Evading a Peace Officer

2800.1. (a) Any person who, while operating a motor vehicle and with the intent to evade, willfully flees or otherwise attempts to elude a pursuing peace officer's motor vehicle, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year if all of the following conditions exist:

(1) The peace officer's motor vehicle is exhibiting at least one lighted red lamp visible from the front and the person either sees or reasonably should have seen the lamp.

(2) The peace officer's motor vehicle is sounding a siren as may be reasonably necessary.

(3) The peace officer's motor vehicle is distinctively marked.

(4) The peace officer's motor vehicle is operated by a peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, and that peace officer is wearing a distinctive uniform.

( B) Any person who, while operating a motor vehicle and with the intent to evade, willfully flees or otherwise attempts to elude a pursuing peace officer’s bicycle, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year if the following conditions exist:

(1) The peace officer's bicycle is distinctively marked.

(2) The peace officer's bicycle is operated by a peace officer, as defined in paragraph (4) of subdivision (a), and that peace officer is wearing a distinctive uniform.

(3) The peace officer gives a verbal command to stop.

(4) The peace officer sounds a horn that produces a sound of at least 115 decibels.

(5) The peace officer gives a hand signal commanding the person to stop.

(6) The person is aware or reasonably should have been aware of the verbal command, horn, and hand signal, but refuses to comply with the command to stop.

Authorized Emergency Vehicle Permit

2416. (a) The Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol may issue authorized emergency vehicle permits only for the following vehicles, and then only upon a finding in each case that the vehicle is used in responding to emergency calls for fire or law enforcement or for the immediate preservation of life or property or for the apprehension of law violators:

(1) Any vehicle maintained in whole or in part by the state, a county or a city and privately owned and operated by a marshal, deputy marshal, or person who is a member of, and who receives salary from, and is regularly employed by, a police department or sheriff's department, provided the state, county or city does not furnish to that person a publicly owned authorized emergency vehicle.

(2) Any vehicle owned and operated by a public utility, used primarily to accomplish emergency repairs to utility facilities or used primarily by railroad police officers, who are commissioned by the Governor, in the performance of their duties.

(3) Firefighting or rescue equipment designed and operated exclusively as such.

(4) Any vehicle operated by the chief, assistant chief, or one other uniformed person designated by the chief of a fire department organized as provided in the Health and Safety Code or the Government Code or pursuant to special act of the Legislature.

(5) Any vehicle of an air pollution control district used to enforce provisions of law relating to air pollution from motor vehicles.

(6) Any vehicle operated by the chief of any fire department established on any base of the armed forces of the United States.

(7) Any vehicle owned and operated by any fire company organized pursuant to Part 4 (commencing with Section 14825) of the Health and Safety Code.

(8) Privately owned ambulances licensed pursuant to Chapter 2.5 (commencing with Section 2500).

(9) Vehicles other than privately owned ambulances used by privately owned ambulance operators exclusively to transport medical supplies, lifesaving equipment, or personnel to the scene of an emergency when a request for medical supplies, lifesaving equipment, or personnel has been made by any person or public agency responsible for providing emergency medical transportation. These vehicles shall display a sign or lettering not less than two and one-half inches in height, in a color providing a sharp contrast to its background, on each side showing the name of the ambulance operator.

(10) Any vehicle owned and operated by an office or department of a city, county, or district which is designated by an ordinance adopted by the governing body of that local agency as a hazardous materials response team vehicle for response to hazardous materials emergencies.

( B) The commissioner may adopt and enforce regulations to implement this section.

© Violation of any regulation adopted by the commissioner pursuant to this section is a misdemeanor.

Chapter 4. Special Equipment -SIRENS

§ 1020. Scope.

This article applies to sirens for use on authorized emergency vehicles in accordance with Vehicle Code Section 27002.

§ 1021. Definitions.

(a) A "siren" is an audible warning device that produces the readily recognizable warning sound identified with emergency vehicles. An audible device, such as a vehicle theft alarm, that produces a sound with one or more of the following characteristics is not a siren:

(1) an unvarying sound.

(2) a varying sound that cycles at a rate faster than 400 cycles per minute.

(3) a discontinuous sound that repeats at rates lower than 90 cycles per minute or higher than 400 cycles per minute.

(4) a sound frequency (and any second harmonics) lower than 100 Hz or higher than 5,000 Hz.

( B) An "authorized emergency vehicle siren" is a device that meets the requirements of this article.

© An "electromechanical siren" consists of a stator and rotor driven by an electric motor.

(d) An "electronic siren" consists of an oscillator, amplifier, and speaker.

(e) A "mechanical siren" consists of a stator and rotor driven by a mechanical connection to a moving part of the vehicle or engine.

(f) "Manual" means a siren control that allows the operator to produce a wailing sound by alternately applying and releasing a momentary contact switch.

(g) "Wail" is a siren sound producing a slow, continuous automatic cycling of increasing and decreasing frequencies and sound levels.

(h) "Yelp" is a siren sound producing a rapid, continuous automatic cycling of increasing and decreasing frequencies and sound levels.

(i) "Hi-Lo" means a nonsiren sound alternating between a fixed high and a fixed low frequency. . . .

§ 1023. Identification Markings.

Sirens and components shall be marked as follows:

(a) Siren Markings. Each siren shall be permanently marked with the manufacturer's or vendor's name, initials, or lettered trademark and a model designation in letters and numerals at least 3 mm (0.12 in.) in height. . . .

(d) Control Markings. Electronic siren controls shall be marked to indicate each siren function by the words "Manual," "Wail," and "Yelp" spelled out or abbreviated. Markings for other nonpermitted functions, such as "Hi-Lo," may remain on the control panel provided the function is made inoperable on sirens manufactured after January 1, 1978.

(e) Permanence of Markings. Required identification markings shall be molded, etched, embossed, stamped, engraved, or printed with epoxy paint or screening ink on the device or on a metal label of substantial thickness permanently affixed to the device by welding or metal fasteners. Speaker driver markings may be of indelible ink or nonepoxy paint when protected by coverings or they may be stamped on a metal plate attached by a screw.

(f) Visibility of Markings. Required siren markings, except those on the speaker driver and on speakers mounted within warning lamp housings, shall be clearly visible when the siren is installed on a vehicle. Amplifier markings may be on the front, top, sides, or bottom of the case provided they are in a location where they are legible to a person inspecting the component without using mirrors or removing the component when it is installed in a vehicle. . . .

§ 1028. Performance Requirements.

(a) Siren Functions. Electronic sirens shall have a wail function and may also have manual and yelp functions. No other function is permitted on sirens sold after January 1, 1982, except for voice communication. . . .

§ 1029. Installation Requirements.

Sirens and speakers installed on authorized emergency vehicles shall be mounted as follows:

(a) Electromechanical and Mechanical Sirens. Class A electromechanical and mechanical sirens shall be mounted outside, between the grille and radiator, or under the hood. Class B electromechanical and mechanical sirens shall be mounted outside or between the grille and the radiator. . . .

( B) Electronic Sirens. Class A and B electronic sirens installed after January 1, 1976, shall be mounted outside or with the horn opening facing forward ahead of the radiator with a relatively open path for the sound to project forward. The horn axis shall be parallel to the road and vehicle centerline.

© Dual Speakers. Dual speakers for electronic sirens shall be connected in phase and mounted so that the speaker axis is parallel to the vehicle centerline or angled outward not more than 10 degrees to the sides.

(d) Speakers in Lightbars. Electronic siren speakers may be mounted facing forward behind a speaker grille in a lightbar.

(e) Transfer. A siren . . . meeting the requirements established by the department at the time it was first installed on an authorized emergency vehicle may be transferred between authorized emergency vehicles by the owner or sold by the owner for use on other authorized emergency vehicles.

waldalm

Mar 27, 2011
US, North AL
I agree with HILO. In the time of "way back when.." the only option for lighting was a steady glowing red light to stand apart from regular vehicles. Honoring history and tradition simply kept it alive.

Sort of like Chicago's green light on fire trucks.

Alabama law is similiar in being old school with wording, read sub-section c:

Section 32-5A-115

Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency vehicles; signals on emergency vehicles; duty of emergency vehicle driver.

(a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle equipped with at least one lighted lamp and audible signal as is required by law, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

( B) This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with regard for the safety of all persons using the highways.

© Authorized emergency vehicles shall be equipped with at least one lighted lamp exhibiting a colored light as hereinafter provided visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of 500 feet to the front of such vehicle and a siren, exhaust whistle, or bell capable of giving an audible signal. The color of the lighted lamp exhibited by police vehicles may be red or blue and the color of the lighted lamp exhibited by the fire department and other authorized emergency vehicles, including ambulances, shall be red. No vehicle other than a police vehicle will use a blue light. An amber or yellow light may be installed on any vehicle or class of vehicles designated by the Director of Public Safety, but such light shall serve as a warning or caution light only, and shall not cause other vehicles to yield the right-of-way. This provision shall not operate to relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway nor shall it protect the driver of any such vehicle from the consequences of an arbitrary exercise of such right-of-way.

(Acts 1980, No. 80-434, p. 604, §4-106; Acts 1981, No. 81-803, p. 1412, §1.)

Haven't seen many units with a single red light and a bell lately, but it's still there lol

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ohio law is pretty old school too...

in a nut shell

"...equipped with and displaying at least one flashing, rotating, or oscillating light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of the vehicle and if the driver of the vehicle is giving an audible signal by siren, exhaust whistle, or bell. This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property upon the highway."

"Except a person operating a public safety vehicle, as defined in division (E) of section 4511.01 of the Revised Code, or a school bus, no person shall operate, move, or park upon, or permit to stand within the right-of-way of any public street or highway any vehicle or equipment that is equipped with and displaying a flashing red or a flashing combination red and white light, or an oscillating or rotating red light, or a combination red and white oscillating or rotating light; and except a public law enforcement officer, or other person sworn to enforce the criminal and traffic laws of the state, operating a public safety vehicle when on duty, no person shall operate, move, or park upon, or permit to stand within the right-of-way of any street or highway any vehicle or equipment that is equipped with, or upon which is mounted, and displaying a flashing blue or a flashing combination blue and white light, or an oscillating or rotating blue light, or a combination blue and white oscillating or rotating light."

"Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol."

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
RED:

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 7E. No motor vehicle operated pursuant to section seven other than fire apparatus, ambulances, school buses, vehicles specified in section seven D used for transporting school children, and vehicles specified in section seven I shall mount or display a flashing, rotating or oscillating red light in any direction, except as herein provided; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall prohibit an official police vehicle from displaying a flashing, rotating or oscillating red light in the opposite direction in which the vehicle is proceeding or prohibit fire apparatus from displaying a flashing, rotating or oscillating blue light in the opposite direction in which the vehicle is proceeding.

A vehicle owned or operated by a forest warden, deputy forest warden, a chief or deputy chief of a municipal fire department, a chaplain of a municipal fire department, a member of a fire department of a town or a call member of a fire department or a member or a call member of an emergency medical service may have mounted thereon flashing, rotating or oscillating red lights. Such lights shall only be displayed when such owner or operator is proceeding to a fire or in response to an alarm and when the official duty of such owner or operator requires him to proceed to said fire or to respond to said alarm, and at no other time.

No such red light shall be mounted or displayed on such vehicle until proper application has been made to the registrar by the head of the fire department and a written permit has been issued and delivered to the owner and operator. In the event that the operator is not the registered owner of the vehicle, no permit shall be issued until said owner forwards to the registrar a written statement certifying that he has knowledge that such red light will be mounted and displayed on said vehicle.

Any person operating a vehicle upon which flashing, rotating or oscillating red lights herein authorized are mounted shall have the permit for said lights upon his person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place. Upon termination of the duties which warranted the issuance of the permit, the head of the fire department shall immediately notify the registrar who shall forthwith revoke such red light permit. Upon the written request of the chief of police or chief of fire of the town in which such permitted vehicle is registered, the registrar may revoke such permit. The registrar shall revoke such permit for the unauthorized use of such red lights and the owner and operator shall be subject to a fine as hereinafter provided.

Upon revocation, the registrar of motor vehicles shall notify forthwith the owner and operator of the vehicle for which such permit was issued and the head of the police department and fire department of the town in which his original permit was issued.

BLUE

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 7E

No motor vehicle or trailer except (i) a vehicle used solely for official business by any police department of the commonwealth or its political subdivisions or by any railroad police department or college or university police department whose officers are appointed as special state police officers by the colonel of state police pursuant to section sixty-three of chapter twenty-two C and subject to such special rules and regulations applicable to such college or university police department as the registrar may prescribe, (ii) a vehicle owned and operated by a police officer of any town or any agency of the commonwealth while on official duty and when authorized by the officer’s police chief or agency head and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (iii) a vehicle operated by a duly appointed medical examiner or a physician or surgeon attached to a police department of any city or town only while on official duty and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (iv) a vehicle operated by a police commissioner of a police department of any city only while on official duty and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (v) a vehicle actually being used for the transportation of persons who are under arrest, or in lawful custody under authority of any court, or committed to penal or mental institutions, and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (vi) a vehicle operated by a chaplain of a municipal police department while on official duty and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar shall mount or display a flashing, rotating or oscillating blue light in any direction. No motor vehicle, as hereinbefore provided, requiring a permit from the registrar, shall mount or display a blue light on such vehicle until proper application has been made to the registrar by the head of the police department and such written permit has been issued and delivered to the owner and operator. Such notice shall include the place of residence and address of the owner and operator of the vehicle for which such permit is issued and the name of the make, vehicle identification number and the registration number of the vehicle for which such permit authorizes the display of blue lights. Any person operating a vehicle upon which blue lights have been authorized to be mounted or displayed, by permit, shall carry such permit for said lights upon his person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place. Upon termination of the duties of such person which warranted the issuance of the permit, the chief of police shall immediately notify the registrar, who shall forthwith revoke such blue light permit. Upon the written request of the chief of police of the town in which such permitted vehicle is registered the registrar may revoke such permit. The registrar shall revoke such permit for the unauthorized use of such blue lights and the owner and operator shall be subject to a fine as hereinafter provided. Upon revocation, the registrar of motor vehicles shall notify forthwith the owner and operator of the vehicle for which such permit was issued and the head of the police department of the city or town in which such permitted vehicle is registered. Upon receipt of his notice of revocation, such owner and operator shall forthwith deliver such blue light permit to the registrar and he shall not be eligible for reissuance of such permit without consent of the head of the police department of the town in which his original permit was issued. Nothing in this section shall authorize any owner or operator to disregard or violate any statute, ordinance, by-law, rule or regulation regarding motor vehicles or their use on ways of the commonwealth. The registrar may also make such rules and regulations governing or prohibiting the display of such other lights on motor vehicles as he may deem necessary for public safety.

Any person who violates any provision of this section for which a penalty is not otherwise provided shall be subject to a fine of not less than one hundred dollars, nor more than three hundred dollars.

AMBER

540 CMR 22.06: Mounting and Display of Amber and Other Colored Lights

(1) No person shall mount or display a flashing, rotating or oscillating amber light on a motor vehicle operated on the way, except as provided in 540 CMR 22.06.

(2) Flashing, rotating or oscillating amber light(s) may be mounted and displayed on:

(a) motor vehicles used for emergency or service purposes operated by members or employees of an auxiliary police force, charitable organizations, private burglar alarm companies, private detective and private security agencies, agencies of the Commonwealth or its politicalsubdivisions, persons and garages providing motorists assistance services or towing services, public and private utility companies for emergency or service purposes, persons and companies that are transporting human blood or organs for emergency purposes, oxygen, explosives or other hazardous materials;

( B) motor vehicles that have the owner's name displayed so as to be plainly visible from each side or from the front and rear of the motor vehicle, and which are actually engaged in the performance of a service, public or private, where the display of such lights would be in the best interest of public safety; and

© such other motor vehicles as authorized by written permit of the Registrar, which shall be carried by the operator upon his or her person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place.

No person shall mount or display any flashing, rotating or oscillating light of any color other than

amber, except blue and red lights as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, § 7E, unless by written permit of the Registrar, which shall be carried by the operator upon his or her person or in the vehicle, in some easily accessible place.

(3) The Registrar may order the removal of any colored light, including amber, at anytime he deems necessary, upon written notice to the registrant, with a copy to the chief of police where said motor vehicle is principally garaged. Any registrant so notified, who fails to remove such colored lights, and who operates or permits the operation of such lights on the public way, shall be in violation of the Registrar's rules and regulations as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, §20.

GREEN

I don't know the law exactly but I believe it is illegal for anything other than incident command

SIRENS

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 16

"No siren shall be mounted upon any motor vehicle except fire apparatus, ambulances, vehicles used in official line of duty by any member of the police or fire fighting forces of the commonwealth or any agency or political subdivision thereof, and vehicles owned by call fire fighters or by persons with police powers and operated in official line of duty, unless authorized by the registrar. "

PURPLE H.3390, NOT CURRENTLY LAW

A vehicle either owned or leased by a funeral home establishment, a licensed or registered certified funeral director, or a livery company and operated by a funeral director, an employee or an independent contractor of a funeral home may have mounted thereon flashing, rotating or oscillating purple/violet, amber and or clear/white lights. Such vehicle may have alternating flashing headlights and fog lights, and display a flashing, rotating or oscillating red light in the opposite direction in which the vehicle is proceeding facing rearward on the vehicle. Such lights shall only be illuminated when such owner or operator is proceeding in a funeral procession as defined in chapter 310 of the Acts of 2010, or responding to a fatality on behalf of the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office and at no other time. A permit for the vehicle or use of said lights shall not be required from the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

All vehicles in a funeral procession may display the vehicle hazard warning signals.

StLFC-Mike

May 24, 2010
SouthEast Wisconsin
Amber- Fair Game

Red- Required on all emergency vehicles, tow trucks and other non-emergency vehicles stationary on the road presenting a hazard to normal traffic

Green- Incident Command only, and only 1 per incident

Blue- Law Enforcement over passenger-side only. May also be used for Incident Command.

White- as secondary lighting on any emergency vehicle.

Siren- all authorized emergency vehicles

Pre-Emption- Opticom type systems are govt emergency vehicles only. Sonem type any emergency vehicle. GPS/Radio systems undefined

Authorized Emergency Vehicle- All govt owned emergency vehicles and volunteers. Volunteers require no permit or individual authorization, but departments need to get blanket ok from municipality

I'll try and dig the statutory references later

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Italics indicates one of my own comments.

§ 46.2-1022. Flashing blue, red and blue, blue and white, or red, white and blue warning lights.

Certain Department of Military Affairs vehicles and certain Virginia National Guard vehicles designated by the Adjutant General, when used in state active duty to perform particular law-enforcement functions, Department of Corrections vehicles designated by the Director of the Department of Corrections, and law-enforcement vehicles may be equipped with flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, blue and red, blue and white, or red, white, and blue combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Such warning lights may be of types constructed within turn signal housings or motorcycle headlight housings, subject to approval by the Superintendent.

§ 46.2-1023. Flashing red or red and white warning lights.

Fire apparatus, forest warden vehicles, ambulances, rescue and life-saving vehicles, vehicles of the Department of Emergency Management, vehicles of the Department of Environmental Quality, vehicles of county, city, or town Departments of Emergency Management, vehicles of the Office of Emergency Medical Services, animal warden vehicles, and vehicles used by security personnel of the Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding, Inc., Bassett-Walker, Inc., the Winchester Medical Center, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Wallops Flight Facility, and, within those areas specified in their orders of appointment, by special conservators of the peace and policemen for certain places appointed pursuant to §§ 19.2-13 and 19.2-17 may be equipped with flashing, blinking, or alternating red or red and white combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Such warning lights may be of types constructed within turn signal housings or motorcycle headlight housings, subject to approval by the Superintendent.

§ 46.2-1024. Flashing or steady-burning red or red and white warning lights. The only legal way to have a California-style steady-burning red light on a vehicle.

Any member of a fire department, volunteer fire company, or volunteer rescue squad, any ambulance driver employed by a privately owned ambulance service, and any police chaplain may equip one vehicle owned by him with no more than two flashing or steady-burning red or red and white combination warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent. Warning lights permitted by this section shall be lit only when answering emergency calls. A vehicle equipped with lighting devices as authorized in this section shall be operated by a police chaplain only if he has successfully completed a course of training in the safe operation of a motor vehicle under emergency conditions and a certificate attesting to such successful completion, signed by the course instructor, is carried at all times in the vehicle when operated by the police chaplain to whom the certificate applies.

§ 46.2-1025. Flashing amber, purple, or green warning lights.

A. The following vehicles may be equipped with flashing, blinking, or alternating amber warning lights of types approved by the Superintendent:

1. Vehicles used for the principal purpose of towing or servicing disabled vehicles;

2. Vehicles used in constructing, maintaining, and repairing highways or utilities on or along public highways;

3. Vehicles used for the principal purpose of removing hazardous or polluting substances from state waters and drainage areas on or along public highways, or state vehicles used to perform other state-required environmental activities, provided that the amber lights are not lit while the vehicle is in motion;

4. Vehicles used for servicing automatic teller machines, provided the amber lights are not lit while the vehicle is in motion;

5. Vehicles used in refuse collection, provided the amber lights are lit only when the vehicles are engaged in refuse collection operations;

6. Vehicles used by individuals for emergency snow-removal purposes;

7. Hi-rail vehicles, provided the amber lights are lit only when the vehicles are operated on railroad rails;

8. Fire apparatus, ambulances, and rescue and life-saving vehicles, provided the amber lights are used in addition to lights permitted under § 46.2-1023 and are so mounted or installed as to be visible from behind the vehicle;

9. Vehicles owned and used by businesses providing security services, provided the amber lights are not lit while the vehicle is being operated on a public highway;

10. Vehicles used to collect and deliver the United States mail, provided the amber lights are lit only when the vehicle is actually engaged in such collection or delivery;

11. Vehicles used to transport petroleum products, provided the amber light is mounted on the rear of the vehicle and is lit only when the vehicle's back-up lights are lit and its device producing an audible signal when the vehicle is operated in reverse gear, as provided for in § 46.2-1175.1, is in operation;

12. Vehicles used by law-enforcement agency personnel in the enforcement of laws governing motor vehicle parking;

13. Government-owned law-enforcement vehicles, provided the lights are used for the purpose of giving directional warning to vehicular traffic to move one direction or another and are not lit while the vehicle is in motion;

14. Chase vehicles when used to unload a hot air balloon or used to load a hot air balloon after landing, provided the amber lights are not lit while the vehicle is in motion;

15. Vehicles used for farm, agricultural, or horticultural purposes, or any farm tractor;

16. Vehicles owned and used by construction companies operating under Virginia contractors licenses;

17. Vehicles used to lead or provide escorts for bicycle races authorized by the Department of Transportation or the locality in which the race is being conducted;

18. Vehicles used by radio or television stations for remote broadcasts, provided that the amber lights are not lit while the vehicle is in motion;

19. Vehicles used by municipal safety officers in the performance of their official duties. For the purpose of this subdivision, "municipal safety officers" means municipal employees responsible for managing municipal safety programs and ensuring municipal compliance with safety and environmental regulatory mandates;

20. Vehicles used as pace cars, security vehicles, or fire-fighting vehicles by any speedway or motor vehicle race track, provided that the amber lights are not lit while the vehicle is being operated on a public highway;

21. Vehicles used in patrol work by members of neighborhood watch groups approved by the chief law-enforcement officer of the locality in their assigned neighborhood watch program area, provided that the vehicles are clearly identified as neighborhood watch vehicles, and the amber lights are not lit while the vehicle is in motion; and

22. Vehicles that are not tow trucks as defined in § 46.2-100, but are owned or controlled by a towing and recovery business, provided that the amber lights are lit only when the vehicle is being used at a towing and recovery site.

B. Except as otherwise provided in this section, such amber lights shall be lit only when performing the functions which qualify them to be equipped with such lights.

C. Vehicles used to lead or provide escorts for funeral processions may use either amber warning lights or purple warning lights, but amber warning lights and purple warning lights shall not simultaneously be used on the same vehicle. The Superintendent of State Police shall develop standards and specifications for purple lights authorized in this subsection.

D. Vehicles used by police, fire-fighting, or rescue personnel as command centers at the scene of incidents may be equipped with and use green warning lights of a type approved by the Superintendent. Such lights shall not be activated while the vehicle is operating upon the highway.

§ 46.2-1026. Flashing high-intensity amber warning lights. The only required warning lights.

High-intensity flashing, blinking, or alternating amber warning lights visible for at least 500 feet, of types approved by the Superintendent, shall be used on any vehicle engaged in either escorting or towing over-dimensional materials, equipment, boats, or manufactured housing units by authority of a highway hauling permit issued pursuant to § 46.2-1139. Such lights shall be mounted on the top of the escort and tow vehicles and on the upper rear end of the over-dimensional vehicles or loads for maximum visibility, front and rear. However, any vehicles operating under a permit issued pursuant to § 46.2-1139 shall be deemed to be in compliance with the requirements of this section if accompanied by escort vehicles.

The provisions of this section shall apply only to vehicles or loads which are either (i) more than twelve feet wide or (ii) more than seventy-five feet long.

§ 46.2-1027. Warning lights on certain demonstrator vehicles.

Dealers or businesses engaged in the sale of fire, rescue, or law-enforcement vehicles or ambulances may, for demonstration purposes, equip such vehicles with colored warning lights.

§ 46.2-1028. Auxiliary lights on fire-fighting, Virginia Department of Transportation and other emergency vehicles.

Any fire-fighting vehicle, ambulance, rescue or life-saving vehicle, Virginia Department of Transportation vehicle or tow truck may be equipped with clear auxiliary lights which shall be used exclusively for lighting emergency scenes. Such lights shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent, and shall not be used in a manner which may blind or interfere with the vision of the drivers of approaching vehicles. In no event shall such lights be lighted while the vehicle is in motion.

§ 46.2-1029. Auxiliary lights on law-enforcement vehicles.

Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any government-owned law-enforcement vehicle may be equipped with clear auxiliary lights of a type approved by the Superintendent. Such lights may be used to light emergency scenes and other areas for the purpose of detecting offenders, apprehending violators of law, and in performing other reasonably necessary law-enforcement functions. Such lights may be used when the vehicle on which they are mounted is standing or proceeding at a speed of no more than fifteen miles per hour. Such lights shall not be used in a manner which may blind or interfere with the vision of the operators of approaching vehicles.

Any law-enforcement officer may also use spotlights, as authorized in § 46.2-1019, for the purpose and in the manner described herein.

§ 46.2-1029.1. Flashing of headlights on certain vehicles.

Emergency vehicles as defined in subsection C of § 46.2-920 may be equipped with the means to flash their headlights when their warning lights are activated if (i) the headlights are wired to allow either the high beam or low beam to flash, but not both, and (ii) the headlight system includes a switch or device which prevents flashing of headlights when headlights are required to be lighted under § 46.2-1030.

The provisions of clause (ii) above shall not apply in the City of Chesapeake, the City of Portsmouth, the City of Poquoson, or the County of York. and are ignored in the City of Fairfax, and probably plenty of other jurisdictions statewide.

§ 46.2-1029.2. Certain vehicles may be equipped with secondary warning lights.

In addition to other lights authorized by this article any (i) fire apparatus, (ii) government-owned vehicle operated on official business by a local fire chief or other local fire official, and (iii) rescue squad vehicle, ambulance, or any other emergency medical vehicle may be equipped with alternating, blinking, or flashing red or red and white secondary warning lights mounted inside the vehicle's taillights or marker lights of a type approved by the Superintendent of State Police.

§ 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise, (ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet, and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

B. Not more than four lights used to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle, including at least two headlights and any other combination of fog lights or other auxiliary lights approved by the Superintendent, shall be lighted at any time. However, this limitation shall not preclude the display of warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027, or other lights as may be authorized by the Superintendent.

C. Vehicles equipped with warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027 shall display lighted warning lights as authorized in such sections at all times when responding to emergency calls, towing disabled vehicles, or constructing, repairing, and maintaining public highways or utilities on or along public highways, except that amber lights on vehicles designed with a ramp on wheels and a hydraulic lift with a capacity to haul or tow another vehicle, commonly referred to as "rollbacks," need not be lit while the vehicle is in motion unless it is actually towing a vehicle.

D. The failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices under the conditions set forth in clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall not constitute negligence per se, nor shall violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section constitute a defense to any claim for personal injury or recovery of medical expenses for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

E. No demerit points shall be assessed for failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices during periods of fog, rain, sleet, or snow in violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section.

F. No citation for a violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall be issued unless the officer issuing such citation has cause to stop or arrest the driver of such motor vehicle for the violation of some other provision of this Code or local ordinance relating to the operation, ownership, or maintenance of a motor vehicle or any criminal statute.

§ 46.2-1060. Illegal sirens, whistles, etc.; unlawful use of warning devices; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use on any vehicle any siren or exhaust, compression or spark plug whistle, or horn except as may be authorized in this title. It shall be unlawful for any vehicle operated on a public highway to be equipped with any warning device that is not of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent. It shall further be unlawful for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. However, vehicles of common carriers or extraordinarily large and heavy vehicles may be equipped with such type of warning device as the Superintendent may require or permit.

Notwithstanding the provisions of this article, a siren, bell, or supplemental horn may be used on a vehicle as a noisemaker for an alarm system if the device is installed so as to prohibit actuation of the system by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

§ 46.2-1061. Sirens or exhaust whistles on emergency vehicles.

Every law-enforcement vehicle, every vehicle authorized to be equipped with warning lights pursuant to §§ 46.2-1022 and 46.2-1023 shall be equipped with a siren, exhaust whistle, or air horn designed to give automatically intermittent signals. Such devices shall be of types not prohibited by the Superintendent.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Michigan Vehicle Code (Act 300 of 1949, as amended):

There is no permission for or prohibition against using green lights. NOTE: This is incorrect; see sub-section (5) below.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(13...eg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-257-698

257.698 Side cowl or fender lamps; running board courtesy lamp; backing lights; lamp or reflector; flashing, oscillating, or rotating lights; private motor vehicle of security guard agency or alarm company; use of lights authorized or required under MCL 257.697, 257.697a, and 257.698a; violation as civil infraction.

(5) The use or possession of flashing, oscillating, or rotating lights of any color is prohibited except as otherwise provided by law, or under the following circumstances:

(a) A police vehicle shall be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating red or blue lights, for use in the performance of police duties.

( B) A fire vehicle or ambulance available for public use or for use of the United States, the state, or any unit of the state, whether publicly or privately owned, shall be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights and used as required for safety.

© An authorized emergency vehicle as defined in section 2 may be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights for use when responding to an emergency call if when in use the flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights are mounted on the roof section of the vehicle, either as a permanent installation or by means of suction cups or magnets and are clearly visible in a 360 degree arc from a distance of 500 feet when in use. A person operating lights under this subdivision at any time other than when responding to an emergency call is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(d) Flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights, placed in a position as to be visible throughout an arc of 360 degrees, shall be used by a state, county, or municipal vehicle engaged in the removal of ice, snow, or other material from the highway and in other operations designed to control ice and snow.

(e) A vehicle used for the cleanup of spills or a necessary emergency response action taken pursuant to state or federal law or a vehicle operated by an employee of the department of natural resources that responds to a spill, emergency response action, complaint, or compliance activity may be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights. Such lights shall not be activated unless the vehicle is at the scene of a spill, emergency response action, complaint, or compliance activity.

(f) A vehicle to perform public utility service, a vehicle owned or leased by and licensed as a business for use in the collection and hauling of refuse, an automobile service car or wrecker, a vehicle engaged in authorized highway repair or maintenance, a vehicle of a peace officer, a vehicle operated by a rural letter carrier or a person under contract to deliver newspapers or other publications by motor route, a vehicle utilized for snow removal, a private security guard vehicle as authorized in subsection (7), a motor vehicle while engaged in escorting or transporting an oversize load that has been issued a permit by the state transportation department or a local authority with respect to highways under its jurisdiction, a vehicle owned by the national guard or a United States military vehicle while traveling under the appropriate recognized military authority, a motor vehicle while towing an implement of husbandry, or an implement of husbandry may be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights. However, a wrecker may be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights which shall be activated only when the wrecker is engaged in removing or assisting a vehicle at the scene of a traffic accident or disablement. The flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights shall not be activated except in those circumstances that the warning produced by the lights is required for public safety.

(g) A vehicle engaged in leading or escorting a funeral procession or any vehicle that is part of a funeral procession may be equipped with flashing, rotating, or oscillating purple or amber lights which shall not be activated except during a funeral procession.

(h) An authorized emergency vehicle may display flashing, rotating, or oscillating white lights in conjunction with an authorized emergency light as prescribed in this section.

(i) A private motor vehicle of a physician responding to an emergency call may be equipped with and the physician may use flashing, rotating, or oscillating red lights mounted on the roof section of the vehicle either as a permanent installation or by means of magnets or suction cups and clearly visible in a 360 degree arc from a distance of 500 feet when in use. The physician shall first obtain written authorization from the county sheriff.

(j) A public transit vehicle may be equipped with a flashing, oscillating, or rotating light mounted on the roof of the vehicle approximately 6 feet from the rear of the vehicle which displays a white light to the front, side, and rear of the vehicle, which light may be actuated by the driver for use only in inclement weather such as fog, rain, or snow, when boarding or discharging passengers, from 1/2 hour before sunset until 1/2 hour after sunrise, or where conditions hinder the visibility of the public transit vehicle. As used in this subdivision, “public transit vehicle” means a motor vehicle, other than a station wagon or passenger van, with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.

(k) A person engaged in the manufacture, sale, or repair of flashing, rotating, or oscillating lights governed by this subsection may possess the lights for the purpose of employment, but shall not activate the lights upon the highway unless authorized to do so under subsection (6).

(7) A private motor vehicle of a security guard agency or alarm company licensed pursuant to the private security guard act of 1968, 1968 PA 330, MCL 338.1051 to 338.1085, may display flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights. The flashing, rotating, or oscillating amber lights shall not be activated on a public highway when a vehicle is in motion.

257.706 Horn or other warning device; siren, whistle, air horn, or bell; theft alarm signal device.

( B) A vehicle shall not be equipped with nor shall a person use upon a vehicle a siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.

© A commercial vehicle may be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.

(d) An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle, air horn, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 500 feet, but the siren shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law. In those cases the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren when necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach of the vehicle.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
jph2 said:
There is no permission for or prohibition against using green lights.

(5) The use or possession of flashing, oscillating, or rotating lights of any color is prohibited except as otherwise provided by law, or under the following circumstances:
:weird:

I, uh... what?

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
There are 2 emergency vehicle lighting laws in MO. 1 being RSMo 307.175 (volunteer law) which states "Motor vehicles and equipment which are operated by any member of an organized fire department, ambulance association, or rescue squad, whether paid or volunteer, may be operated on streets and highways in this state as an emergency vehicle under the provisions of section 304.022 while responding to a fire call or ambulance call or at the scene of a fire call or ambulance call and while using or sounding a warning siren and using or displaying thereon fixed, flashing or rotating blue lights, but sirens and blue lights shall be used only in bona fide emergencies...". 2 being RSMo 304.022 (emergency vehicle operations law) which states "... while having at least one lighted lamp exhibiting red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of such vehicle or a flashing blue light authorized by section 307.175...". So the 2 laws somewhat contradict each other, causing much confusion. Most departments in MO allow the use of R/B 360* by officers, and red to the rear of all firefighters do to the gray area. It is, however, up to the chief of a dept. to make the decision which colors will be run in which direction (front, sides, rear). But per the latest revised statutes, a volunteer has full emergency vehicle rights so long as it all required equipment. Also in MO, a tow truck can run R/B with siren to a scene where they have been requested by law enforcement, and they are to run amber to any non law enforcement scene. However, this is not always enforced.

307.175 Section 307-175 Sirens and flashing lights emergency us

304.022 Section 304-022 Emergency vehicle defined--use of light

Blue: Any emergency vehicle

Red: Any emergency vehicle

Amber: Any vehicle

White: No specifics in the laws

Green: Incident Command, but no specific laws

Purple: Funeral Procession, but no specific laws

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
nerdly_dood said:
:weird:

I, uh... what?

Oh, man! Senior moment. There are provisions for red, blue, amber, white, and purple, so when I got done reading them all, I noted there was no mention of green. I forgot the law prohibited anything not permitted. :duh:

That said, I was a member of a volunteer fire department back in the 90s and the officers had green teardrops for incident command. I don't know if they were permissible under the law then nor if that's still part of their kit. Either way, I don't see any LEO taking issue to incident command designation at an emergency scene. I can't say I've seen any security vehicles with green lights, only amber.

DMCGONAGIL

Feb 5, 2012
WI
LFD-Mike, here are the WI statutes for lights on emergency vehicles:

347.25  Special warning lamps on vehicles.

mpaine

Dec 20, 2011
USA
Not to thread jack my own thread, but I would like to put this out there. I am respectfully petitioning the Pennsylvania State Department of Transportation to allow volunteer firefighters to use audible sirens when responding to calls with blue lights. I believe this issue will clear up a ton of confusion that is caused to the general public by "blue-lighters". Now, remember please, this is MY belief, and you don't necessarily have to believe it or agree with it. If you don't, I'm kindly asking to keep the bashing comments to yourselves. If you do support this idea, please take the time to sign the petition below. It'd mean a lot. Thanks guys.

Petition: Pennsylvania department of transportation: Allow firefighters additional privileges while responding to emergencies | Change.org

BLUE LIGHTS (VFF POV)

IC Code 36-8-12-11: House Bill 1208 introduced changes in the blue light law for volunteer firefighters. On March 27, 2002, Governor Frank O'Bannon signed the bill and it became effective on that date. Listed below are the modifications and additions made to the law.

Lights may be used while en route to scenes of emergencies or to the fire station.

A light is only required to have a source of at least 35 watts, instead of 50 candlepower.

Lights may now be placed on the (i) top of the vehicle, (ii) the dashboard inside, shielded to prevent distracting the driver OR (iii) front of the vehicle upon the bumper or at bumper level.

No more than 4 light assemblies may be displayed on 1 vehicle and each assembly must be of the flashing or revolving type.

A blue light assembly may contain multiple bulbs.

Alternately flashing headlamps may be used as a supplemental warning device. Strobe lights or flashers may be installed into the light fixtures on the vehicle other than the alternating headlamps. The strobe lights or flashers may be either white or blue, with the exception or red to the rear. - If a member of a volunteer fire department violates the blue light law, the chief of the department shall discipline the firefighter under fire department rules and regulations.

Blue Light Law

IC 36-8-12-11

Blue lights on private vehicles; authorization; violations

Sec. 11.

(a) Members of volunteer fire departments may display blue lights on their privately owned vehicles while en route to scenes of emergencies or to the fire station in the line of duty subject to the following conditions:

(1) A light must have a light source of at least thirty-five (35) watts.

(2) All lights must be placed on the:

(A) top of the vehicle;

( B) dashboard inside a vehicle, shielded to prevent distracting the driver; or

© front of the vehicle upon the bumper or at bumper level.

(3) No more than four (4) blue light assemblies may be displayed on one (1) vehicle, and each blue light assembly must be of the flashing or revolving type.

(4) A blue light assembly may contain multiple bulbs.

(5) A blue light may not be a part of the regular head lamps displayed on the vehicles. Alternately flashing head lamps may be used as a supplemental warning device. Strobe lights or flashers may be installed into the light fixtures on the vehicle other than the alternating head lamps. The strobe lights or flashers may be either white or blue, with the exception of red to the rear.

( B) In order for a volunteer firefighter to display a blue light on a vehicle, the volunteer firefighter must secure a written permit from the chief of the volunteer fire department to use the blue light and must carry the permit at all times when the blue light is displayed.

© A person who is not a member of a volunteer fire department may not display an illuminated blue light on a vehicle.

(d) A permittee of the owner of a vehicle lawfully equipped with a blue light may operate the vehicle only if the blue light is not illuminated.

(e) A person who violates subsection (a), ( B) , ©, or (d) commits a Class C infraction. If the violator is a member of a volunteer fire department, the chief of the department shall discipline the violator under fire department rules and regulations.

(f) This section does not grant a vehicle displaying blue lights the right-of-way under IC 9-21-8-35 or exemption from traffic rules under IC 9-21-1-8. A driver of a vehicle displaying a blue light shall obey all traffic rules.

(g) This section shall not be construed to include a vehicle displaying a blue light and driven by a member of a volunteer fire department as an authorized emergency vehicle (as defined in IC 9-13-2-6).

GREEN LIGHTS (EMS POV)

IC 9-19-14.5-1

Display of green lights on privately owned vehicles in line of duty

Sec. 1. A privately owned vehicle belonging to a certified paramedic, certified emergency medical technician-intermediate, certified emergency medical technician-basic advanced, certified emergency medical technician, certified emergency medical service driver, or certified emergency medical service first responder while traveling in the line of duty in connection with emergency medical services activities may display flashing or revolving green lights, subject to the following restrictions and conditions:

(1) The lights may not have a light source less than fifty (50) candlepower.

(2) All lights shall be placed on the top of the vehicle.

(3) Not more than two (2) green lights may be displayed on a vehicle and each light must be of the flashing or revolving type and visible at three hundred sixty (360) degrees.

(4) The lights must consist of a lamp with a green lens and not of an uncolored lens with a green bulb. However, the revolving lights may contain multiple bulbs.

(5) The green lights may not be a part of the regular head lamps displayed on the vehicle.

(6) For a person to be authorized under this chapter to display a flashing or revolving green light on the person's vehicle, the person must first secure a written permit from the executive director of the department of homeland security to use the light. The permit must be carried by the person when the light is displayed.

As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.66. Amended by P.L.205-2003, SEC.2; P.L.236-2003, SEC.3; P.L.97-2004, SEC.38; P.L.1-2006, SEC.162.

IC 9-19-14.5-2

Unlawful display of green lights; violations

Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 1 of this chapter, a person who displays on any public or private motor vehicle at any time flashing or revolving green lights of any size or shape commits a Class C infraction.

As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.66. Amended by P.L.236-2003, SEC.4.

IC 9-19-14.5-3

Operation of vehicle when green light not illuminated

Sec. 3. This chapter does not prohibit the operation of a vehicle lawfully equipped with a flashing or revolving green light from being operated as any other vehicle when the green light is not illuminated.

As added by P.L.2-1993, SEC.66. Amended by P.L.236-2003, SEC.5.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
States that have been posted:

Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, United Kingdom, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

States, provinces, etc. that have not been posted:

Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, Arkansas, British Columbia, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Manitoba, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Northwest Territory, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Oklahoma, Ontario, Oregon, Prince Edward Island, Puerto Rico, Quebec, Rhode Island, Saskatchewan, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Yukon Territory

I'll edit this post as things get added. Couldn't hurt to post the laws for any other countries as well.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Short Explanation, by Color

Red Lights

Department vehicles:

• Police Department vehicle

• Fire Department vehicle

• Ambulance

• blood delivery vehicle

• human organ delivery vehicle

• HAZ-MAT response vehicle

• Armed Forces emergency vehicle

• One

Coroner/Medical Examiner vehicle

• Medical Examiner vehicle

Personal vehicles:

one Fire Chief

one Assistant Fire Chief
  • one 2nd Assistant Fire Chief (if there are 3+ apparatus)
  • one 3rd Assistant Fire Chief (if there are 3+ apparatus)
  • one Fire Police Captain

one Fire Police Lieutenant
  • one Ambulance Corps Commander

one Ambulance Corps Assistant Commander
  • one River Rescue Commander

one Assistant Commander
  • one County Emergency Management Coordinator
  • any Fire Marshal
  • one Rescue Service Chief

one Assistant Chief
  • one Police Chief

one Assistant Chief

Blue Lights

Department vehicles:

Optional in addition to Red

Marked Police Vehicles

• Marked Sheriffs Vehicles

• Marked Fire Police Vehicles

Required in addition to Red

Unmarked Police Vehicles
  • Unmarked Sheriffs Vehicles
  • Unmarked Fire Police Vehicles

Note: In Pennsylvania, "Marked" is defined as having lights mounted atop the roof. It has nothing to do with markings, and the "purpose" section mentions this specifically.

Personal vehicles:

Ambulance Personnel

• Volunteer Firefighters

• Certified SAR Organization Members

• Owners and Handlers of dogs used in Human Tracking

Amber Lights

Coming Soon!

Green Lights

Completely illegal

generally unenforced

rarely if ever enforced on emergency vehicles
  • somewhat enforced on private security vehicles

Purple Lights

Completely illegal

generally unenforced

White Lights

Legal in combination with red lights

Short Explanation, by Type

Full Explanation

Pennsylvania has two distinctions of special vehicles: Emergency Vehicles and Authorized Vehicles. Emergency Vehicles have either Red or R/B lights, while Authorized Vehicles have either Blue or Amber.

What is an Unmarked Police Vehicle?

[*]Any Police Vehicle without a lightbar

What is an Emergency Vehicle? (Title 75 § 102, Title 75 § 4571, Title 75 § 6106)

Any:

[*]Police Department vehicle

[*]Fire Department vehicle

[*]Ambulance

[*]blood delivery vehicle

[*]human organ delivery vehicle

[*]HAZ-MAT response vehicle

[*]Armed Forces emergency vehicle

[*]One vehicle operated by a coroner, chief county medical examiner, or deputy chief medical examiner

[*]Any vehicle with a Red Light Permit from the Pennsylvania State Police

And any POV of a:

[*]Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chief

[*]2nd and 3rd Assistant Fire Chief (if there are 3+ apparatus)

[*]Fire Police Captain and Fire Police Lieutenant

[*]Ambulance Corps Commander and Assistant Commander

[*]River Rescue Commander and Assistant Commander

[*]County Emergency Management Coordinator

[*]Fire Marshal

[*]Rescue Service Chief and Assistant Chief

[*]Police Chief and Assistant Chief

What is a Police Vehicle? (Title 75 § 102, Title 75 § 4571, Title 75 § 6106)

Any:

[*]Police Department vehicle

[*]Sheriff's Office vehicle

[*]Fire Police vehicle

[*]Medical Examiner vehicle

[*]Coroner vehicle

And any POV of a:

[*]Police Chief and Assistant Chief

[*]Sheriff and Assistant Sheriff

What is a blue light Authorized Vehicle? (Title 75 § 102, Title 75 § 4572, Title 75 § 6107)

The POV of any:

[*]Ambulance Personnel

[*]Volunteer Firefighters

[*]Certified SAR Organization Members

[*]Owners and Handlers of dogs used in Human Tracking

Emergency Vehicles

[*]Must have a siren, bell, or exhaust whistle

[*]Must show a flashing or rotating red light 360°

[*]May have a HLF

[*]May have HAWS

Marked Police Vehicles

[*]Must show a flashing or rotating red light 360°

[*]May show a flashing or rotating blue light

[*]May have High Beam Flashers

[*]May have HAWs, though they do not count as 360° warning

Unmarked (Slicktop) Police Vehicles

[*]Must show a flashing or rotating red light to the front and rear

[*]Must show a flashing or rotating blue light to the front and rear

[*]May have High Beam Flashers

[*]May have HAWs, though they do not count as warning to the front or rear

Blue Light Authorized Vehicles

[*]Must show flashing or rotating blue light 360°

[*]May be equipped with no more than two (2) blue lights

[*]May not be equipped with amber flashing or rotating lights

[*]May not be equipped with white flashing or rotating lights

[*]Name must be on a list signed by the head of the organization submitted to the nearest PSP station

[*]Owners/Handlers of human tracking dogs must individually register at nearest PSP station

[*]The intensity of and the manner in which said lights are displayed shall be determined by the regulation of the department.

[*]These lights do not relieve the driver of the vehicle with the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor exempt them from any traffic law.

[*]May be equipped with lights only on a cab, cab protector or roof of the vehicle, on the front or rear of the bed or body of an authorized vehicle, or on the tailgate of an authorized vehicle.

[*]The installation or use of additional flashing or strobe lights in existing vehicular lighting modules/assemblies, such as headlights, parking lights, taillights, is expressly prohibited.

Other Authorized Vehicles

[*]Tow Trucks and vehicles used for snow removal are considered Authorized Vehicles

[*]The department may, upon finding they are used in the performance of a public service or governmental function, designate any vehicle or group of vehicles as Authorized Vehicles

[*]May be equipped with one or more flashing or revolving amber lights

[*]May be equipped with lights only on a cab, cab protector or roof of the vehicle, no more than 18 inches above the highest fixed point of the vehicle, on the front or rear of the bed or body of an authorized vehicle, or on the tailgate of an authorized vehicle.

[*]The intensity of and manner of display of the lights shall be determined by the regulation of the department

[*]The lights may only be installed atop the r, on/in/behind the grille, or on the tailgate

[*]The installation or use of additional flashing or strobe lights in existing vehicular lighting modules/assemblies, such as headlights, parking lights, taillights, is expressly prohibited.

Hide-a-Way Lights, Headlight Flashers, Steady Burn, and Other Peculiars

[*]HAW - The installation or use of additional flashing or strobe lights in existing vehicular lighting modules/assemblies, such as headlights, parking lights, taillights, is expressly prohibited on authorized vehicles.

[*]HLF - High-Beam flashers may be used on emergency vehicles only, and must be installed so that activating the high beams overrides the flasher.

[*]Steady Burn - Considered a legitimate part of a light bar, but does not count toward required red or blue lights and must be used with a flashing or rotating light of the same color.

[*]Oscillators - Considered a legitimate part of a light bar, but does not count toward red or blue and must be used with a flashing or rotating light of the same color

This was all from memory and is not exhaustive

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
North Dakota

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c10.pdf

39-10-03. Class A authorized emergency vehicles.

1. The driver of a class A authorized emergency vehicle may:

a. Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this chapter.

b. Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation.

c. Exceed the speed limit so long as the driver does not endanger life or property.

d. Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

2. The exceptions herein granted to a class A authorized emergency vehicle apply only:

a. When the authorized emergency vehicle is in pursuit of or apprehension of a violator or a suspected violator requiring the

use of these exemptions.

b.
When the class A authorized emergency vehicle is being operated in response to a reported emergency involving a

possible personal injury, death, or damage to
property, and when giving adequate warning by use of a flashing red or combination red and white lights that are visible under normal atmospheric conditions for at least five hundred feet [152.4 meters] and if appropriate, giving audible signal by siren or airhorn. A law enforcement vehicle that is otherwise a class A authorized emergency vehicle may display a flashing blue light in addition to and under the same conditions as the other colors allowed in this subdivision.

c. In any instance when the head of a law enforcement agency deems advisable within the area of that person's jurisdiction for the protection of person and property and when giving audible signal by siren or when giving adequate warning by use of a flashing red or combination red and white lights which are visible under normal atmospheric conditions for at least five hundred feet [152.4 meters]. A law enforcement vehicle that is otherwise a class A authorized emergency vehicle may display a flashing blue light in addition to and under the same conditions as the other colors allowed in this subdivision.

3. An emergency vehicle may not display or permit to be displayed any red lamp except

when operated on official business.

Any law enforcement officer as provided in paragraph 2 of subdivision a of subsection 2 of section 39-01-01 having stopped another vehicle along a highway, and while still involved in that incident, or any other related activity, may use amber lights, visible under normal atmospheric conditions for at least five hundred feet [152.4 meters], for the purpose of maintaining traffic flow.

39-10-03.1. Class B authorized emergency vehicles.

1. The driver of a class B authorized emergency vehicle may:

a. Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this chapter.

b. Exceed the speed limit so long as the driver does not endanger life or property during the time of a local or national disaster.

c. Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

The exceptions herein granted to a class B authorized emergency vehicle apply only when the authorized emergency vehicle is displaying an amber light visible under normal atmospheric conditions for a distance of five hundred feet [152.4 meters] in any direction, and:

a. When it is necessary for the authorized emergency vehicle to use these exemptions for the immediate protection of life or property;

b. When an authorized emergency vehicle is stopped on a highway for the purpose of performing a duty as required of the driver; or

c. When traveling at a speed slower than the normal flow of traffic.

39-10-03.2. Class C authorized emergency vehicles.

All class B specifications apply to class C authorized emergency vehicles except that a blue flashing light must be displayed in place of an amber light as provided in section 39-10-03.1.

39-10-73. Flashing green lights.
An authorized emergency vehicle may not display a flashing green light unless the vehicle is used as a command center in an emergency.

vbcr1711

Apr 27, 2012
Greenwood, Tennessee
RolnCode3 said:
I have not found any annotation indicating when the requirement was first implemented. It obviously goes back at least into the 50s/60s (tv shows) and probably much further.

People have ideas as to why it exists, but reading the supporting material as it made its way through the legislature would probably be interesting. Not sure how to get hold of that stuff.

That is correct. The steady burn red light made it's appearance on tv at least on the first episode of Dragnet in 1951..... The law was amended in 1974 to INCLUDE flashing lights as well...

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
23 V.S.A. § 1015. Authorized emergency vehicles

§ 1015. Authorized emergency vehicles

(a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call or when responding to, but not returning from, a fire alarm and a law enforcement officer operating an authorized emergency vehicle in fresh pursuit of a suspected violator of the law:

(1) may park or stand contrary to the provisions of this chapter;

(2) may proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

(3) shall come to a full stop when approaching a school bus which is flashing red lights and may proceed only when the flashing red lights are extinguished;

(4) may exceed the maximum speed limits;

(5) may disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

( B) The exemptions granted to an authorized emergency vehicle apply only when the vehicle is making use of audible or visual signals meeting the requirements of this title.

© The foregoing provisions shall not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver from the consequences of his or her reckless disregard for the safety of others.

(d) The operator of a school bus, upon the approach of an authorized emergency vehicle as described in subsection (a) of this section, shall take action immediately to get school children out of the public highway and to a safe place and shall thereafter extinguish the flashing red lights. (Added 1971, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. March 1, 1973; amended 1981, No. 97, §§ 1, 2.)

23 V.S.A. § 1252. Uses of sirens or colored lamps or both

§ 1252. Uses of sirens or colored lamps or both

(a) When satisfied as to the condition and use of the vehicle, the commissioner shall issue and may revoke, for cause, permits for sirens or colored signal lamps in the following manner:

(1) Sirens or blue or blue and white signal lamps, or a combination of these, for all law enforcement vehicles, owned or leased by a law enforcement agency or a certified law enforcement officer and if the applicant is a constable, the application shall be accompanied by a certification by the town clerk that the applicant is the duly elected or appointed constable and attesting that the town has not voted to limit the constable's authority to engage in enforcement activities under 24 V.S.A. § 1936a.

(2) Sirens and red or red and white signal lamps for all ambulances, fire apparatus, vehicles owned or leased by, or provided to volunteer firemen and voluntary rescue squad members, including a vehicle owned by a volunteer's employer when the volunteer has the written authorization of the employer to use the vehicle for emergency fire or rescue activities and motor vehicles used solely in rescue operations.

(3) No vehicle may be authorized a permit for more than one of the combinations described in subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection.

(4) Notwithstanding subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection, no motor vehicle, other than one owned by the applicant, shall be issued a permit until such time as the commissioner can adequately record the information regarding both the owner of the vehicle and the applicant for the permit.

(5) Upon application to the commissioner, the commissioner may issue a single permit for all the vehicles owned or leased by the applicant.

( B) Amber signal lamps shall be used on road maintenance vehicles, service vehicles, and wreckers and shall be used on all registered snow removal equipment when in use removing snow on public highways and the amber lamps shall be mounted so as to be visible from all sides of the motor vehicle. A vehicle equipped with an amber signal lamp may not be issued a permit for the installation and use of a siren. (Amended 1967, No. 265 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 1969, No. 259 (Adj. Sess.), § 11; 1985, No. 85, § 7; 1987, No. 5; 1987, No. 241 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; 1991, No. 128 (Adj. Sess.), § 1 eff. April 10, 1992; 1995, No. 88 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2001, No. 106 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)

23 V.S.A. § 1251. Sirens and colored signal lamps; out of state emergency and rescue vehicles

§ 1251. Sirens and colored signal lamps; out of state emergency and rescue vehicles

(a) A motor vehicle shall not be operated upon a highway of this state equipped with a siren or signal lamp colored other than amber unless a permit authorizing this equipment, issued by the commissioner of motor vehicles, is carried in the vehicle. A permit may be transferred following the same procedure and subject to the same time limits as set forth in section 321 of this title. The commissioner may adopt additional rules as may be required to govern the acquisition of permits and the use pertaining to sirens and colored signal lamps.

( B) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a) of this section, when responding to emergencies, law enforcement vehicles, ambulances, fire vehicles, or vehicles owned or leased by, or provided to, volunteer firefighters or rescue squad members which are registered or licensed by another state or province may use sirens and signal lamps in Vermont, and a permit shall not be required for such use, as long as the vehicle is properly permitted in its home state or province. (Amended 1967, No. 265 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1985, No. 85, § 6; 2001, No. 106 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2009, No. 123 (Adj. Sess.), § 39; No. 152 (Adj. Sess.), § 19, eff. June 1, 2010.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.