Orion Director/TDWL 36 strange behavior

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Ok, I installed my new Orion Director control box today for use with my TDWL 36. I followed the directions in the manual and it was very simple since it was a color-coded hook-up. However, I hooked the control box to my 2a 12+ and get NOTHING. Zilch, nadda, zip. No sound, no light, nothing from either the Orion or the bar itself. The TDWL worked fine earlier when it was still connected to a standard six-switch box. I've checked and re-checked my grounds and fuses. My + source is good (other items are hooked up to it). Did I get a bum box?

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
After my panic has subsided some, I have discovered what I believe may be the problem. I returned to the car after about a half hour (when I was in here posting). I tried it again and got the box to light up. I began pushing buttons and VOILA! It works. As soon as it started, it began acting strange. The "Center out" button only illuminated four modules on the bar and then would wink out. I had been working on this car for a couple of hours and I think the battery is very low, and the Orion box must be voltage sensitive. After a few minutes with the door open, the system would barely function, and the "center out" function wasn't working. It would just briefly illuminate, and wink out.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
start the car and see if that helps, or hook the vehicle battery up to a vehicle battery charger.

my whelen lights do funny sync crap when my truck is off, but work fine when the truck is on.... voltage drop might be the issue.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I'm still not getting anything on the "center-out" button. I let the battery charge and again, when I press the <-----> I get a flicker from four modules on the left and then nothing. The controller is showing the pattern on it's LED display, but the bar isn't doing anything.

Doc

May 23, 2010
Jacksonville,NC
Did you ever get this figured out? Mine is acting up now also. I can't seem to program the buttons to the bar. I replaced the TD/WL 24 with a TD/WL 36 and now can't program the buttons again.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
No, haven't had time to mess with it. IIRC, I think it is a setting on the bar itself that I need to change, before I hook the Orion up to it for directional use.

Doc

May 23, 2010
Jacksonville,NC
Maybe mine is the same issue then. The 24 worked great with the Orion. Then I hooked the 36 up to it and it won't keep the patterns anymore. Everytime I hit a button it cycles to the next flash pattern. With/without the pattern selection wires messed with. I'm at a loss....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.