Our Personal Fire/EMS Fleets

mjberryjr

Nov 18, 2011
Northfield, CT
Skip Goulet said:
Do you still have the Braun Type III ambulance? I had a chance to get a '92 Braun like that one, but got beat to it. Yours is a bit older but would still make a nice first response unit.
No we got rid of that in like 1994 I think somebody bought it to use as a race car hauler and pit truck. From what I understnd it was kind of a hunk of junk when they got rid of it.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
mjberryjr said:
No we got rid of that in like 1994 I think somebody bought it to use as a race car hauler and pit truck. From what I understnd it was kind of a hunk of junk when they got rid of it.

I'm surprised that they got by with that. There's a little known law out that forbids that sort of thing, but you see it done all the time anyway, and that's a real shame for a nice old rig like that. I had made the comment on another thread quite some time back about this same law which prohibits stripping ambulances and firetrucks of sirens, lights, lightbars,etc., or altering the interior of a professional built ambulance: like removing cabinets,etc. I got quite a ribbing about that, but I've actually seen the law enforced. A guy who had a small fly-by-night transfer ambulance co. got in serious trouble with the U.S. DOT one time when a DOT agent just happened to pass by the guy's place as he was removing the tunnel lights and lightbars from a couple of older ambulances that he had taken out of service. It was his plan to put the lights,etc., up on Ebay. This guy argued with the DOT guy that Homeland Security had mandated that emergency equipment be removed when selling an ambulance, but the guy did some checking and there was no such mandate, rule or law. The guy stood there while my friend had to put everything back. He had done the same thing once before and I had chided him about it, but that time he got by with it. This last time he wasn't so lucky.

mjberryjr

Nov 18, 2011
Northfield, CT
Skip Goulet said:
I'm surprised that they got by with that. There's a little known law out that forbids that sort of thing, but you see it done all the time anyway, and that's a real shame for a nice old rig like that. I had made the comment on another thread quite some time back about this same law which prohibits stripping ambulances and firetrucks of sirens, lights, lightbars,etc., or altering the interior of a professional built ambulance: like removing cabinets,etc. I got quite a ribbing about that, but I've actually seen the law enforced. A guy who had a small fly-by-night transfer ambulance co. got in serious trouble with the U.S. DOT one time when a DOT agent just happened to pass by the guy's place as he was removing the tunnel lights and lightbars from a couple of older ambulances that he had taken out of service. It was his plan to put the lights,etc., up on Ebay. This guy argued with the DOT guy that Homeland Security had mandated that emergency equipment be removed when selling an ambulance, but the guy did some checking and there was no such mandate, rule or law. The guy stood there while my friend had to put everything back. He had done the same thing once before and I had chided him about it, but that time he got by with it. This last time he wasn't so lucky.

Thats funkey I've never heard of that but I'm not totally surprised. Its actually fairly common around here there are a few electrical contractors and other people that buy old ambulances and use them as work trucks.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
mjberryjr said:
Thats funkey I've never heard of that but I'm not totally surprised. Its actually fairly common around here there are a few electrical contractors and other people that buy old ambulances and use them as work trucks.

That's what I mean. People have gotten by with that stuff for years. How else do you see so many lights and sirens on Ebay? It's just one of those things: every so often someone gets caught!

mjberryjr

Nov 18, 2011
Northfield, CT
DLuccia said:
I havent seen the old rescue 1 in years the engine looks like the old one from bethany

It is the old one from Bethany. we replaced it with the rosenbauer that NFD-102 posted on the very first page. It got sold to som guy in New Your state he was going to use it on his farm.

Skip Goulet said:
I love the color scheme on Rescue 81. Is it still in service?

Rescue 81 is still in service. It was donated to us by Newton County, IN Sheriff's Department. They had converted this into a SWAT unit after it served its time as an ambulance.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Travelin Man said:
Skip,

Can you provide a link to this supposed federal law on ambulance modification?

I wouldn't have a clue as how to search for the law, as it's been over 20 years since I saw the original paperwork on it. I do know that it was known as the "Emergency Vehicle Preservation Act of 1978" and was signed by President Carter. So far as an actual citation number, I can't help you there. As I said earlier, I know it exists, as I've seen it enforced.

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
I wouldn't have a clue as how to search for the law, as it's been over 20 years since I saw the original paperwork on it. I do know that it was known as the "Emergency Vehicle Preservation Act of 1978" and was signed by President Carter. So far as an actual citation number, I can't help you there. As I said earlier, I know it exists, as I've seen it enforced.

Eh, the whole thing sounds hokey to me, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm pretty good with a search engine and can find zero references to it under the federal codes, actions taken by President Carter during his term in office, nor general searches of standing or past legislation. I would think that in my many years of being in the industry, this would have come up at some point with at least one other person who deals with new and used emergency vehicles.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Travelin Man said:
Eh, the whole thing sounds hokey to me, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm pretty good with a search engine and can find zero references to it under the federal codes, actions taken by President Carter during his term in office, nor general searches of standing or past legislation. I would think that in my many years of being in the industry, this would have come up at some point with at least one other person who deals with new and used emergency vehicles.

You can call it hokey if you like; and ordinarilly I might agree with you if it weren't for the fact that I've seen it enforced. There are a lot of obscure little laws out there that are aimed in one direction or another. And with a lot of the squirrley shit I've come out of Washington over the past few years, it may well have been repealed. The guy who got in trouble tried to tell the DOT guy (as I think I mention above) that he had been told that Homeland Security had gotten into it, saying that ambulances had to be stripped of emergency equipment prior to being sold in the private sector. Either way, something's been done somewhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.