PAR 36's

David

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
I need to replace some PAR36 bulbs on a twin sonic and on a pair of dietz 2-11 beacons. Are there particular bulbs I need to find?

I know original bulbs are 12 volt, 30 watt incandescents. Sometimes I see these bars with bulbs that have a smooth face, sometimes I see them with integral fresnel lenses like automobile headlights, but I don't know if one style is incorrect. Some of the bulbs on my bars are marked 4416, some 4464. I have a couple of PAR36 bulbs that I got very cheap on clearance from a department store a couple of years ago that are marked as "landscape lighting", GE Q7560 that are 12 volt PAR36, but they are halogen rather than incandescent filament lights, the boxes are labeled only 20 watts and I'm not sure if its OK to use just any PAR36 lights.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
4416 is the standard in most beacons and many lightbars, it is 30 watts.

4464 was used in the Twinsonic and AeroTwinsonic, it is 60 watts and getting hard to find.

H7600 is a 37.5 watt halogen sealed beam bulb, used in many Code 3 SD and XL lightbars and as an option in Federal Signal beacons and lightbars starting somewhere in the late 1970's.

The above mentioned bulbs are spotlight style bulbs, meaning they have a focused beam of light. Most other sealed beam bulbs have fluted lenses to diffuse the light. Although fluted lensed bulbs can be used, they will not create the "pop" of light as the beam of light crosses your eyes.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Try to find 4464s for the TwinSonic. If you can't locate those, using 4416s for both the Dietz and TwinSonic will work just fine.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I'm assuming these are to be display pieces correct?

You can use any PAR 36 type light on these lamps ultimately, it will not damage the light 1 way or another. However If you plan on displaying it may be better to use the lower wattage bulbs to reduce amperage requirements.... my .02 cents.

That and good luck finding 4464s They are most definately getting more difficult to locate.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
Stampeed Valkyrie said:
I'm assuming these are to be display pieces correct?
You can use any PAR 36 type light on these lamps ultimately, it will not damage the light 1 way or another. However If you plan on displaying it may be better to use the lower wattage bulbs to reduce amperage requirements.... my .02 cents.

That and good luck finding 4464s They are most definately getting more difficult to locate.

Agreed. For indoor display, you may prefer a lower watt bulb to reduce power usage and to make it easier on your eyes.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I say screw display amp restrictions and get some halogen sealed beams for your lights. Because who doesn't want them to really "pop" when you turn them on? The difference between halogen and incandescent is noticeable.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
My Twinsonic is still equipped with 4464's and they produce a heck of a lot more light than 4416's. They also suck a ton of amps. 11-12 amps with 4416's, 20 amps with 4464's. But, the 4464 does produce a heck of a flash! The H7600 produces more light than the 4416, but I don't think it is quite as effective as the 4464, but then again, it does not require the amperage of the 4464 either, so it is a good compromise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.