PD/Fire/EMS - What do you carry/where

cfc13

Jul 21, 2010
Philadelphia/Delaware
Lt. Dino said:
Jacket left pocket: Left mechanics glove for extrication and a couple wedges.
Jacket right pocket: Right mechanics glove and my hood.

Right pants pocket: 25' Webbing loop, 2 carabiners, right structural glove.

Left Pants Pocket: Cable Cutters (just like ffemt88), folding spanner wrench, utility knife and my left structural glove.

I have a Streamlight Vantage helmet light... I don't like it.

We're issued Bright Star Responder flashlights for our coats which aren't bad.

In my radio pocket I've got, well, my radio and a shove knife.

I also carry a Bright Star Light Hawk lantern light... I love that thing.

I'm just curious how everyone carries everything. I'm 7 years career, 15 volunteer. I carry basics. a flat head and philips screwdriver, large cable cutters, channel locks, which I flattened one handle and ground the other to a point, to function as my center punch. All of which I carry in a homemade pouch I made out of 4" supply and duct tape. keeps everything together in a handy pouch, and it was free. I carry 50" webbing which I store in a nitrile glove for ease of deployment with beaners attached. I have 2 garrity LED's strapped to my helmet with a bike tube. They are cheap and bright. They burn out or melt....it's $2 to replace. some chocks and golf tee's also in my helmet. I'm assigned in a truck company, so I don't bother with spanner stuff. And I only added maybe 2 lbs to my gear. I run 1300 a year, on my tour. I'm not carrying more them I have to.

Oh, and I have my knife and shove knife strapped to my radio strap. Nothing worse then a radio taking up a pocket on your gear for no reason.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Very basic list of pocket stuff for the average Firefighter's Running Coat.

1 pr. Leather gauntlet gloves.............WalMart or Hardware store

1 ea. Small Maglite LED flashlight........WalMart or Hardware store

1 ea. 20' x 2" roll of webbing..............Hardware store

1 ea. collapsible spanner wrench.........Fire equipment supply or the fire house (two would be even better)

1 ea. rope/hose tool.........................Make it yourself from a length of rope and a hook

1 ea, Springloaded centerpunch..........WalMart or Hardware store

1 ea. Small package of nitrile gloves....Wal Mart or Hardware store

1 ea. Heavy wire cutters...................Wal Mart or Hardware store

Very basic list of stuff for the average Firefighter's Helmet.

1 pr. fully enclosed and vented shop goggles (OSHA approved)......WalMart or Hardware store

1 ea. top-of-the-line helmet light and bracket.............................Fire equipment supply

1 ea. Nomex or similar hood (stored in top of the helmet................Fire equipment supply

Very basic list of pocket stuff for the average Firefighter's Running Pants.

1 pr. leather-palm garden/mechanics gloves...........WalMart of Hardware store

1 ea. CPR shield and gloves and wipes in a kit.........Fire equipment supply, Dyna-Med or Gall's

1 pr. clean pair of heavy socks.............................WalMart or your dresser drawer

1 ea. 1/2 of a clean towel to wipe face with...........WalMart clearance aisle, Buy one and cut it in half (and you ahve a free spare!)

None of this is heavy, none of this is particularly expensive and ALL of this WILL be useful! (Even if you are a 'truckie')

Hope this helps.

"Been 'doin' it' since 1966 in the DC-Metro area."

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I carry the Streamlight fire vulcan LED on a fidney utility belt (love the thing, by the way). This flashlight is light. I have had the opportunity to play with the vantage - it is crap. It is sturdy, but it is not as powerful (or useful) as the vulcan. With a vantage, you can only really use it when it is on your helmet. With the vulcan, I have the opportunity to use it in all types of situations and do not have to worry about looking for one more tool, it is always with me.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
cfc13 said:
I'm just curious how everyone carries everything. I'm 7 years career, 15 volunteer. I carry basics. a flat head and philips screwdriver, large cable cutters, channel locks, which I flattened one handle and ground the other to a point, to function as my center punch. All of which I carry in a homemade pouch I made out of 4" supply and duct tape. keeps everything together in a handy pouch, and it was free. I carry 50" webbing which I store in a nitrile glove for ease of deployment with beaners attached. I have 2 garrity LED's strapped to my helmet with a bike tube. They are cheap and bright. They burn out or melt....it's $2 to replace. some chocks and golf tee's also in my helmet. I'm assigned in a truck company, so I don't bother with spanner stuff. And I only added maybe 2 lbs to my gear. I run 1300 a year, on my tour. I'm not carrying more them I have to.

Oh, and I have my knife and shove knife strapped to my radio strap. Nothing worse then a radio taking up a pocket on your gear for no reason.

Do you have any pictures of your bike tube helmet strap? I've got alot of those laying around.

Silly question...what's a "shove knife"?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
UPDATE

So...I went to the Trek store and picked up a busted mountain bike inner tube. I had a couple of cheap LED flashlights from Lowe's so I figured I'd give it a shot. It cost me nothing, so I have nothing to lose.

Oh, I should mention I have a Cairn's 1010.

1) take the tube, and cut it slightly shorter than the flashlight.

2) cut two equal-length slits in the tube (length wise) that are slightly less wide than the helmet liner hold-down thingy. The slits should be about half an inch apart.

3) slide the tube over the thingy so that it's kinda woven through the tube.

4) tighten the thingy back down.

5) insert the flashlight into the tube

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/47306/2708166110079783134S425x425Q85.jpg[/URL]

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/21123/2286929380079783134S425x425Q85.jpg[/URL]

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/49980/2397712600079783134S425x425Q85.jpg[/URL]

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/42030/2440463680079783134S425x425Q85.jpg[/URL]

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/31041/2337823840079783134S425x425Q85.jpg[/URL]

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/47203/2572151140079783134S425x425Q85.jpg[/URL]

rofowacker

Sep 3, 2010
Montgomery County PA
That will fall off on the first training or call your on... Inner tubes rip really easy after they are cut and have a path to follow... Great idea, but it is not going to be practical.

My Gear

Helmet

-3 Chocks in band

-Window punch in band

-4 Tees in band close to front

-4 10penny nails close to front

- Brightstar Razor light on a metal mount (bent to hug helmet and be outta the way)

- Safety glasses - inside by impact cap

- Beenie (cold nights) - inside by impact cap

Coat

- inside pocket

---Hood

---notebook with pen

-front radio pocket

---Radio

-Front

---Survivor LED Light

---Mic tether

---glove strap with structural gloves

- L coat pocket

--2 sets medical gloves

- r coat

---shove knife

---belt cutter

---utility knife

Bunkers

---Prerigged basket seat in gear with 2 Beaners at the front suspenders

---Left Belt loop - 20ft of tether rope with 2 beaners for searching (all folded up in a self contained pack the size of a deck of cards.)

-R Bunker - split pocket

---Toolkit Craftsman leather belt pouch

-----Flat Head

-----Phillips

-----Cable Cutters

-----Locking Pliers/With attached chain

-----battery wrench

-----Knife

-----channel lock pliers

---Rescue Gloves (extraction)

-L Bunker

---Rope Rescue Gloves

---Work Gloves

---75ft 9mm rescue rope in flat pack with 8 and 2 beaners

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
rofowacker said:
That will fall off on the first training or call your on... Inner tubes rip really easy after they are cut and have a path to follow... Great idea, but it is not going to be practical.

You're right. The slit is growing. Since I still have an entire 26" tube left, I figured I'd give it another shot with one correction...

You can stop a tear from propagating by drilling a hole. So what I might try and do is punch two holes and then make a cut between the two holes. Again...it's all free stuff so if it doesn't work, then I'm just back to where I started. No big whoop.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Lets see...

Helmet - Streamlight vantage

Jacket

- Inside Pocket, empty

- radio pocket, for the radio if im not wearing my radio strap

-left pocket, DC Door Hangar, Extrication gloves

-right pocket, Benchmade ERT - has a locking blade specifically for cutting seatbelts, and a window punch. had a small flashlight, but it dont work no more, and channel locks. i wanna get wire snips as well.

Pants

-left pocket, hood, gloves

-right pocket, bail out kit. More specifically, 40' of RIT 500 rope, 2 Omega Jake Style Quik-Lok carabiners, and a Sterling F4 descent Device. I have it set up for a quick bail out situation, and can deploy the rope in numerous fashions. My goal is to add a rescue hook instead of carabiner, and change out one carabiner to a different style that stays open until you flick it closed. If anyone wants to see pics, i'd be glad to show them, and describe whats what, and how it deploys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
NCFD43 said:
Lets see...

Helmet - Streamlight vantage

Jacket

- Inside Pocket, empty

- radio pocket, for the radio if im not wearing my radio strap

-left pocket, DC Door Hangar, Extrication gloves

-right pocket, Benchmade ERT - has a locking blade specifically for cutting seatbelts, and a window punch. had a small flashlight, but it dont work no more, and channel locks. i wanna get wire snips as well.

Pants

-left pocket, hood, gloves

-right pocket, bail out kit. More specifically, 40' of RIT 500 rope, 2 Omega Jake Style Quik-Lok carabiners, and a Sterling F1 descent Device. I have it set up for a quick bail out situation, and can deploy the rope in numerous fashions. My goal is to add a rescue hook instead of carabiner, and change out one carabiner to a different style that stays open until you flick it closed. If anyone wants to see pics, i'd be glad to show them, and describe whats what, and how it deploys.

I'd be interested in pics! :)

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
NCFD43 said:
and change out one carabiner to a different style that stays open until you flick it closed.

While such carabiners undoubtedly exist, they do not comply with NFPA 1983.

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
This is what I carry (I just recently became an interior FF, but I also believe the simpler things are, the less they could go wrong):

Left Coat: Window punch and Seat belt cutter

Right Coat: Two pairs of EMS gloves

Left Pants: Water Rescue and Extrication gloves

Right Pants: 12' webbing (Going to carry two 12' lengths when I get another)

I keep my structure gloves on a strap on my coat, my portable radio goes in its pocket on my sleeve, and I have a bail-out bag in a pocket in the back of my coat. Also, I keep my nomex hood between the boots in my bunkers.

triton911bj

May 24, 2010
Springville, PA
Heres what i have,

Helmet:

emtpy at this time (need new band)

Coat:

- 1 Pair Rescue Gloves

- 1 Pair Work Gloves

- 1 Spring loaded center punch

- 2 Pair Medical gloves

- 1 2'' roll medical tape

- 1 1'' roll medical tape

- 1 trama shears

- 2 wedges

- 1 extra nomex hood

- 1 survivor light

- 1 saftey vest

- radio on strap

Pants:

- 1 Pair Structural FF gloves

- 1 nomex hood

- 1 20' webbing with beaner

- 1 10' webbing

- 1 cable cutter

- 1 eye glasses case

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
shues said:
While such carabiners undoubtedly exist, they do not comply with NFPA 1983.

I mis-typed. There is a carabiner that stays unlocked, until you flick the lock closed. Its a quarter turn lock. Thats what i meant by "stay open".

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
NCFD43 said:
I mis-typed. There is a carabiner that stays unlocked, until you flick the lock closed. Its a quarter turn lock. Thats what i meant by "stay open".

Gotcha; that sounds cool! If you happen to come across more information, I'd really like to see it.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I don't really have much in either set of my gear, but heres a list.

Fire Gear:

Helmet:

- Nothing at this time, in the process of cleaning it and getting new stuff

Jacket:

- Structure gloves on a pull strap next to my radio pocket

- Work Gloves (One in each pocket

- Nomex Hood in right pocket

Pants:

- A secone pair of work gloves in left pocket

- TNT Rescue Wrench in the right pocket

Rescue Gear:

Helmet:

- Nothing, in the process of getting new stuff

Jacket:

- 1 pair of rescue gloves

- 1 pair of work gloves

- 2-4 pair of nitrile golve

- Work knife (Tanto blade, windo punch, seatbelt cutter)

Pants

- Second pair of work gloves

- 10 ft length of webbing.

I'm alwasy looking for new stuff to carry on me for that "just in case" moment... I just recently got BRV certified, so I haven't gotten my Rescue Gear completely outfitted yet...

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
For those of you who work private EMS in a rural or municipal setting, either first responder or otherwise... What rescue tools or equipment do you carry on the ambulance?

Extrication gear, set of irons, rescue rope bag, landing lights, etc...

Just curious to see what others have.

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
We are rural and on each Ambulance for extrication we carry:

Spool of rope

Hack saws

Big Hammer

Crow Bars

Toolbox with small hand tools

Window punch

LED Flares

Turnout Coat

Tarps

We try to keep it simple, FD has Jaws etc.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
All medical stuff...no extrication equipment whatsoever....except maybe a KED...if you call that extrication equipment.....OH! We do have tire changing equipment and a wheel chock....

bcook212

May 26, 2011
missouri
I carry anything that I think I would need to deal pretty much any emergency. Its pretty much my bug out vehicle too lol, so not everything will be disclosed.

-Full EMT level BLS trauma kit with O2

-Turn outs

-Rope with caribeners

-Mass Casualty bag during tornado season

-Couple change of clothes (bdu's, boots, hard hat, etc)

-Couple Fire extinguishers

-Numerous boxes of gloves, c-collars, etc

-Axe

-Crowbar

-Tow strap

-LED Flares

-Traffic vests

-Mag lites with cone

-Chainsaw in severe weather

Along with my emergency lights/siren

probably some other stuff that im just not thinking of

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
bcook212 said:
I carry anything that I think I would need to deal pretty much any emergency. Its pretty much my bug out vehicle too lol, so not everything will be disclosed.

-Turn outs

-Rope with caribeners

-Axe

-Crowbar

-Tow strap

-LED Flares

-Traffic vests

-Mag lites with cone

The question was private EMS vehicles not POV mega disaster vehicles lol

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Primary EMS agency for our county is a private service that additionally considers itself a rescue squad. I've heard conflicting stories as to whether or not they're officially first-due on rescue throughout the county or not and if so, if it's the entire county or just parts. The fact is that almost all of the fire departments provide rescue as well, and in a large portion of the county, they're going to be on scene first, and start extrication anyway.

From what I understand, they don't require employees to do rescue training but they encourage it. They have one dedicated rescue truck owned by the service, then they also have a state-owned truck that they store/maintain and is occasionally used as a backup rescue. Finally, they have the rescue ambulance, seen below.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.braunambulances.com/Port...es-2011-monongalia-ems-delivery-thumbnail.jpg

As far as I know, this was purchased to replace a light rescue that is now out of service, and carries all the tools the light rescue did.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
No extrication tools on the ambulance, only things we carry for MVAs are Seatbelt cutters, glass punches, a crowbar (other uses as well), Steering column air bag nets, couple pairs of gloves, 2 Helmet with face shields and 2 turnout coats. We don't do extrication on our squad directly as one of the other squads do it with their rescue with assistance of FD, there are a few of us who do do it when needed.

I'm a believer in an ambulance is an ambulance, should not be doing extrication, have the basic stuff like I listed above, and maybe a pair of irons added onto it.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Private company I moonlight at doesn't carry anything beyond what the State requires on an ambulance.

That list includes:

Tarp

"Tool Box" (A set of screwdrivers or pliers)

A handfull of flares.

Work Gloves.

I think that's about it... not much room on a Vanbulance... or in the budget.

These items are mainly for use on the ambulance itself (to get you out of a sticky situation). Otherwise, any extrication or rescues of patients are left up to the local FD.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
The reason I asked my question is due to the fact that I respond solo (ambulance only) to a majority of my calls. There is no fire department with the exception of a subscription based fire department that responds to certain areas if they area available. Sometimes I can agency assist (mutual aid) a municipal fire department to respond out into the county, sometimes I can't. The sheriff's office has a search & rescue team which carries *some* tools, but mainly for rescues vs extrication.

For an example, the other night I responded to a report of a possible drowning in a large irrigation canal. The canal was located with the city limits and I responded with the local police department. The officers requested the fire department be paged/toned out for the rescue. We (the ambulance) arrived on scene seconds after the PD, assisted the PD with locating a chain to throw in so the subject can be pulled out. Easy call that ended with a refusal. My partner and I just got to thinking how this could have turned out differently and what resources we had on board the ambulance.

Barid Straps off of the c-spine bag to form a rope, gurney buckles, backboards, etc... Creative Rigging would have been required if a true rescue, until the volunteers arrived.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Alex said:
The reason I asked my question is due to the fact that I respond solo (ambulance only) to a majority of my calls. There is no fire department with the exception of a subscription based fire department that responds to certain areas if they area available. Sometimes I can agency assist (mutual aid) a municipal fire department to respond out into the county, sometimes I can't. The sheriff's office has a search & rescue team which carries *some* tools, but mainly for rescues vs extrication.

For an example, the other night I responded to a report of a possible drowning in a large irrigation canal. The canal was located with the city limits and I responded with the local police department. The officers requested the fire department be paged/toned out for the rescue. We (the ambulance) arrived on scene seconds after the PD, assisted the PD with locating a chain to throw in so the subject can be pulled out. Easy call that ended with a refusal. My partner and I just got to thinking how this could have turned out differently and what resources we had on board the ambulance.

Barid Straps off of the c-spine bag to form a rope, gurney buckles, backboards, etc... Creative Rigging would have been required if a true rescue, until the volunteers arrived.

In my area there is a municipal "third" service (EMS only) and a volunteer FD. If there is any call that may require "rescue" they just tone out the FD at the same time the ambulance is dispatched. It's not uncommon for the EMS and Police departments to be on scene for a bit before Fire arrives to do the extrication / rescue.

ffemt88

Jun 13, 2010
N/A
On the rig we carry

-2 Helmets

-2 Turnout Coats

-Set of Irons

-Window Punch

-Seat Belt Cutter

-Small tool box

-50' Throw Rope

An ambulance is an ambulance ... a rescue truck is a rescue truck.

rsmartin

Aug 17, 2011
Stamford NY
Zack said:
In my area there is a municipal "third" service (EMS only) and a volunteer FD. If there is any call that may require "rescue" they just tone out the FD at the same time the ambulance is dispatched. It's not uncommon for the EMS and Police departments to be on scene for a bit before Fire arrives to do the extrication / rescue.

Here it's also automatic that FD is dispatched with EMS to any MVA or any other situation that may require extrication gear.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
We have a set of Lucas tools which has cutter, spreader, ram. We also have cribbing, chains, saws (normal & K12), Maxiforce Airbags, and other assorted tools. We also had a set of Hurst tools "The Jesus Jaws" but those went out of service. In addition we have helmets, gloves, and goggles.

Now, with that said, normally we DO NOT extricate. We don't have extrication garb to put on. But we are trained and will start the extrication process (while one EMT attends to the patient) while we wait for the fire department that is being dispatch if they do not have tools or are far away. Also normally when the fire department gets there we hand everything off to them (as long as they are trained) and we go about our patient care.

My department was one of the first in the state, if not the first, to have rescue equipment. And yes, all of the above is carried on an ambulance. :)

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
rsmartin said:
Here it's also automatic that FD is dispatched with EMS to any MVA or any other situation that may require extrication gear.

Same thing here... but because the FD is volunteer / call staff, it takes considerably longer for them to arrive on scene than the EMS and PD depts.

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
bcook212 said:

-Turn outs

-Rope with caribeners

-Axe

-Crowbar

-Tow strap

-LED Flares

-Traffic vests

-Mag lites with cone

So what are you an Doomsday Parperner????? (sorry I can't spell every good)

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
EMT-BLS said:
Did you mean, Doomsday Prepper? No, you cant spell every good. :D . I'd say his vehicle was half EMS/ half Doomsday Prepper.

Yeah that's what I meant......but at least I admitted to not being a very good speller. :thumbsup:

bcook212

May 26, 2011
missouri
Well I carry ems/fire/hazmat gear along with whatever I may need in severe weather (and yes I am a prepper and yes I will shoot you....then fix you.....then shoot you again lol!!!)

In severe weather or whatever kind of crap thats going on...I have noticed that local LEO/EMS are very unprepared to deal with certain emergencies. So as i first respond i decided to carry what there to lazy or just dont see a "need" to carry in the car, but Ive been thanked numerous times for the level of equipment that i carry.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
I volunteer at a municipal 3rd service EMS agency, and we don't carry any rescue equipment. Any extrication/rescue is done by the volunteer FD who runs a dedicated rescue truck (two sets of hurst tools, full set of cribbing, res-q-jacks, etc) and a ladder truck that carry's hurst tools and some rope rescue stuff.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
Seems like a 50/50 mix. Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, there are certain areas of my response area that is unincorporated and have no fire protection agency to respond. Only the sheriff's office and my private ambulance company. Most homeowners are aware of this and chose to live in the county due to lower tax base and the rural environment. However if their house were to caught on fire, the home will burn to the ground as there is not a fire department to respond. So if there is a water or any other kind of rescue in these areas, I will have to improvise with what I have on board my ambulance. Additional resources would have an extended response time coming from the other remote agencies.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
I thought it would be interesting for everyone to post what they carry on them for their emergency servies work. Those who work in multiple fields (Fire, EMS, and Law enforcement) can divide it based on where they are working. I'll start:

Fire:

Pockets in bunker coat- Pocket knife, door chock, crackable glow sticks (the green glow ones)

Pants- EMS shears, bail out bag, extrication gloves, another door chock, extra hood, flashlight

Helmet- Door chock, flashlight

EMS:

Glove pouch, pager, and key holder on belt

Stethoscope in pocket along with cell phone

What about everyone else?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.