Picked up a Code 3 XL lightbar for my wall

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
IMG_6746.JPG IMG_7633.JPG IMG_7844.JPG IMG_7874.JPG IMG_7871.JPG IMG_7877.JPG Our assistant fire chief has been awesome; first he donated an Aerodynic 24EH that I cleaned up, this week he gave me a 54" 1986ish Code 3 XL. He wasn't sure I'd even want it because it was beat up; but I saw a beauty under the dust and dent.

Both lightbars I got from the fire dept came off of tenders that were decommissioned; the lenses on the Aerodynic cleaned up really nicely but the chassis saw more use and needs cleaning up. The chassis on the Code 3 looks like new. The lenses need quite a bit of work and the harness was cut really short, but I'm pleased with it, especially being free. This was going to end up in their dumpster had I not asked about it. He even threw in a couple beacons, a Galls traffic buster and a Tripp lite NV-IND. I'll gladly trade both of those beacons for some 4416B bulbs and two 4416R bulbs, little beacons aren't my thing right now. I was able to gently push out the dent in the speaker cover; it's not perfect but it's a lot better now.

I was also recently very blessed by a friend who gave me a fully loaded Liberty and MPC-01 to run it. The Liberty cleaned up really nicely and is almost ready to go up on the lightbar wall.

In less than a year I've been able to collect 6 lightbars; one of my hitches is that I do this hobby on the cheap. I try to find red/blue or blue/blue bars. Next on my hope to find cheap list... a Vector, an LP9000, a Vista, a Jetsonic, and a blue aerodynic dome.

My collection so far:
MX7000
Street hawk
Aerodynic 24EH
9M 8 strobe, 4 flasher (new lens kit)
Serial Liberty
Code 3 XL

Last edited:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Looks like you're off to a great start. Those specific XL's in that specific configuration have always been a favorite of mine. I used to have one, too.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Nice XL9000
You can still get 4416R bulbs but the 4416B will be a bear to find.. let alone cheap.

My advice.. Par 36 Gel Filters.. Can be found on ebay or local DJ shops on the cheap.

See the video below... shameless plug

Reactions: OliverD and H20

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I also recommend using incandescent clear lights for the white lights and halogen lights for the colored lights, so as to balance out the brightness.

Reactions: H20

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
Nice XL9000
You can still get 4416R bulbs but the 4416B will be a bear to find.. let alone cheap.

My advice.. Par 36 Gel Filters.. Can be found on ebay or local DJ shops on the cheap.

See the video below... shameless plug

Does that bar you have there have blue gel filters? I looked on eBay and wasn't liking the color of blue that I saw in the auction of those gel filters, it wasn't a dark/deep blue like the colored bulbs are.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
@H20
That was the first bar I started playing with Gel filters with.. all the bulbs I believe were GE7400 with colored filters over them.
There are a couple other videos with bars and gel filters as I started experimenting with them.

I used to paint the bulbs.. then I discovered these.

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I get them from a local DJ and Entertainment Supply Company..
They are made by a company called American DJ..
They are called Color Gel Pack sold in sets of 4
Model Z-CL100/PA (RBGY) and Z-CL100/PB (amber in this pack)

Americandj.com

Reactions: H20

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.