Purchased a Siren.. BUT idk what I purchased!!! Take a Guess??

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Well I have been talking about trying to find a Tornado Siren for the small village in which I am fire chief of so I can stop blowing the sirens on the fire truck and rescue truck everytime we go under a warning. Well my dad who works at a plant says "we have this big siren they use to use when we had a tornado siren and for some reason stopped using it but that damn thing is loud". I asked him what brand and he didnt know, all he said was it was red. Well I got him to ask if they would get rid of it and they said for a $10 check I could have it.... so I sent a $10 check with him today and I am waiting for him to get home with it.

Anyone want to take any guesses!?!? lol I will post pics when I get it..

Last edited by a moderator:

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
[You should know] that the only way is onebip. Using onebip you can join your paypal account to onebip. I will send monies to onebip and then in the fourth week of February, at the end of the month, onebip will transfer funds from onebip to paypal.

The only way is onebip

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
emt322636 said:
Lol sorry to hijack your thread, have you tried googling tornado sirens?

na.. you didnt, this is more of a BS thread.

Just curious as to what my dad is calling a "tornado siren" and what he is getting me for $10. Idk he might have gotten me something gold because those guys up there sure dont know anything about a siren.... I figure it is something Industrial though because he said he thinks it is an AC unit.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
This is a loaded question... sort of like asking an auto parts store if they know what brakes go on a car that has 4 wheels. There were so many different manufacturers back in the day that you are going to need some pics of it before anyone can even hazard a guess.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
PC Comms said:
This is a loaded question... sort of like asking an auto parts store if they know what brakes go on a car that has 4 wheels. There were so many different manufacturers back in the day that you are going to need some pics of it before anyone can even hazard a guess.

lol yea I know... Its like the brown-bag special sale post. Make a build up ;)

I will have pictures up within the next hour as soon as he gets home.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Well here it is... Not bad for $10 I dont guess. I plugged it up for just a second so I wouldnt scare my neighbors with the weather thats here and it works well, couldnt really wind it up to see how it would do and how loud it would get. ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_fireman616wfd_2011_04_26210745.jpgai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_fireman616wfd_2011_04_26210809.jpgai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_fireman616wfd_2011_04_26210916_1.jpg

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Found the siren on Sentry Web-Site.

Sentry Siren

Also found a video of it on youtube. I wonder if this siren winds up and down like this on its own or if the owner of this video/siren was doing it.

*THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO AND THAT IS NOT ME*

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
I know where two of those are sitting still mounted to the building (I'll give a hint. They came from the same department that I just got my new Twinsonic and Aerotwin from and where I will likely be getting a roof siren from as well.) They haven't been used in almost 30 years so they are likely seized. I was considering grabbing them, but not sure if it's worth the effort to restore them or not.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Well from the pics of it. It appears to be a federal Q siren with some big azz bell housings to project the sound.

Jasonc

May 29, 2010
obx nc
That's a fractional horsepower general alarm siren and were produced by several different companies. They are way smaller than a true outdoor warning siren (way smaller than a Q even) and shouldn't be used as such (their effective range is only a few hundred feet). Your better off selling it and taking the money and buying a real tornado siren.

Nov 5, 2010
nowhere ky
fireman616wfd said:
Well here it is... Not bad for $10 I dont guess. I plugged it up for just a second so I wouldnt scare my neighbors with the weather thats here and it works well, couldnt really wind it up to see how it would do and how loud it would get. ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_fireman616wfd_2011_04_26210745.jpgai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_fireman616wfd_2011_04_26210809.jpgai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_fireman616wfd_2011_04_26210916_1.jpg

i have a thunderbolt controller that would probably run that thing adn give you the timed control and remote activation

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
Sentry siren is the successor to Sterling. They are currently located in Canon City, Colorado. The F2 siren is nothing more than the rotor and stator from a Sterling model 20 diriven by a 115VAC motor. Of course it has weather resistant housings to allow it to be mounted outside. These were commonly used by Civil Defense. They were mounted on telephone poles all over town and had an effective range of about half a block.

This is definitely NOT a tornado warning siren. Check out the web sites on "warning sirens" to see what tornado warning sirens look like. Most of them are 220VAC two phase and are much larger in size.

John Dorgan

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
fireman616wfd said:
I really need a tornado siren or something bigger than this...

Check with your local / regional USDA office. At one time there was Rural Devlopment Grant Money available for Tornado Sirens / Public Warning Infrastructure in some areas. There were certain restrictions as to population of the area covered, so you may have to buy it in phases if doing a large area.

Not sure if it is still available, as USDA took massive budget cuts recently. The funds did cover purchase and infrastructure to make the system work, but not ongoing maintenace or recurring costs.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Sirenman said:
Sentry siren is the successor to Sterling. They are currently located in Canon City, Colorado. The F2 siren is nothing more than the rotor and stator from a Sterling model 20 diriven by a 115VAC motor. Of course it has weather resistant housings to allow it to be mounted outside. These were commonly used by Civil Defense. They were mounted on telephone poles all over town and had an effective range of about half a block.
This is definitely NOT a tornado warning siren. Check out the web sites on "warning sirens" to see what tornado warning sirens look like. Most of them are 220VAC two phase and are much larger in size.

John Dorgan
yea I know its not a tornado siren but I was using what I could... turned sirens on on the firetruck just to try to wake people up to let them know.. I really wish I could find something larger to use. :( tornados here can't be seen.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Last edited by a moderator:

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Back in the 50's and 60's when everyone had mechanical sirens and lawyers hadn't metastasized to the numbers we see today, you could have gotten away with it. These days if your "tornado siren" isn't purpose-built and certified for sound output by NIOSH or OSHA or PETA or whoever, and someone is injured by a tornado and claims they never heard your siren because it wasn't loud enough, your town will be up the liability creek, and so will you if you're the one who selected/supplied the siren. In this lawsuit-happy country where ambulance-chasing personal injury contingency lawyers are everywhere, I'd suggest searching for fire grant money or homeland security money or even a corporate contribution, and do it right.

Jasonc

May 29, 2010
obx nc
There are many used outdoor warning sirens for sale for pretty cheap. Why don't you sign up on Air Raid Sirens and post an ad in the wanted section? There are many people on there who aren't far from you who could hook you up with a decent siren. Once you register, PM me on here and I'll activate you.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
ok everyone I am back from all the tornado stuff...

NPS Ranger, Im going to continue to blow the sirens on the fire trucks until I can get a siren... Im not afraid of a lawsuit and I know EVERY single person in my small little village so im not worried about it, if I can save a persons life and have to take a lawsuit for it then so be it.. HOWEVER i do know exactly what you mean!

Jasonc

May 29, 2010
obx nc
There's never been a lawsuit dealing with a siren, its not considered a primary warning device and its nothing the gov't has to provide.

And fireman616wfd, I activated you on the Air Raid Sirens board.

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
man we are really needing a tornado siren also. We tried applying for it but they told us we would have to go out to each house hold and count each family per house and crap. Witch ain't no problem. but we found it a little to late.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.