Quick question about the magnets on a Mini Jet..

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
I own a mini Jet lightbar with the factory magnets and i was wondering if the magnets are strong enough to hold the lightbar down at freeway speeds (65mph). The lightbar seems very secure when i try to remove it off the roof. Do you think it would do just fine if i attempt the freeway? I hear too many stories of other lightbars not holding in place or they fly off at highway speeds. Are the factory magnets rated at 45lbs or are they stronger?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
What's the adage... "If you have to ask, probably not" ;) :lol:

I wouldn't do less than 90 lb mags on that LB.

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
That's what i figure. I've always removed the lightbar before i get onto the freeway. I've been tempted to just leave it and see how it holds up. But i'd rather not risk loosing the lightbar, breaking my back window or worse....having it fly onto someone else's vehicle. I'm not sure what these magnets are rated at but i better upgrade just in case.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Aerodynamics is less of a problem with your lightbar than, say, a Highlighter, which has a similar aerodynamic profile to that of a brick, so you can get away with weaker magnets than you could with a Highlighter.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
If your insurance will cover replacing someone else's windshield when your Mini Jet flies through it... go right ahead. Otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.