Restored - Honolulu PD Super Beacon Ray 174

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Do you have the thread on that? Just searched for 30 minutes and could not find anything.

@Skulldigger posted these advertisements a couple of years back in the Vintage Patents and Ads thread:

1958 is the year for the New SUPER Beacon Ray #174! A four-way 360 degree revolving warning light. But it does not revolve continuously, it revolves through 95 degrees, reversed to produce an "off beat" irregular flash of increased intensity. The first 4 Lamp beacon it revolves slower.

116985_099d69cf80a1a2c83f2872be2243ceb7.jpg

March 1963 Ad for the Federal 176. It is already in use per the ad and indicates it was a combination of Red and White lights. But note in Pennsylvania, California and Virginia you can not use white lights in your beacons.

116982_677ad9c5d8436ba44692158f85106e36.JPG

Reactions: Skulldigger
...It revolves through 95 degrees and reverses to produce an "off beat" irregular flash of increased intensity.
The Super Beacon Ray revolves more slowly than conventional beacons, almost doubling the beam's effectiveness.........
As it was explained to me by a FedSig rep, the 95 degree oscillation creates two quick flashes that cause the pupil to contract, then a pause before the dwell on the 90 degree axis that appears brighter because the pupil "recovers". Probably the most effective light of its time (now long passed!).

I didn't know of the existence of the 174H until I met John "Sirenman" Dorgan...it was his Holy Grail as well and now we have the honor of seeing one in situ!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillyrube
I want to add, while the dwell was on the 90 degree axis, for oncoming traffic, especially at distance, it was quite intense...almost like the CA steady red ID effect (regardless of the color). I understand Indiana State Police used the 174 with a clear done and red/clear bulbs with the red on dwell. Quite effective!

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
@Skulldigger posted these advertisements a couple of years back in the Vintage Patents and Ads thread:

When I moved to Virginia in 1975 and joined a local volunteer department, they had a big red Hendrickson chassis crash truck, with 4 176s on the roof, and a white Mars light in front. No issues running around town, but we were mutual aid to the local airport. Quick way to our staging point was 1 exit on the interstate, but due to the red and white lights they told us to take a different route. VSP pulled them a couple times and chewed them out, no summonses. Virginia law changed in the mid 80s to allow white lights and flashing headlights.

Last edited:
Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.