Retro fitting LEDs into a Model 14

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Greetings~

I have been contemplating a bulb retro fit to the model 14. I was thinking of using LED par 36's, instead of the sealed beams. I know Michigan SP did a retrofit to their unity's, but was thinking of trying to keep the rotating lights in the mix.

I didnt see a spot for questions...

opinions? can it be done? the reason would be current draw..

Thanks in advance

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
This has been tried (and posted) several times, the performance is marginal. What's saved in power consumption is sacrificed in performance. Leave it as is.

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
LED lights in a rotator is about as smart as putting a screen door on a submarine.

:bonk: :nono: :nono: :duh:

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
It might work, if you used Whelen LED PAR36 (Spot Lamp) in place of the regular bulbs. :undecided:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
rwo978 said:
This has been tried (and posted) several times, the performance is marginal. What's saved in power consumption is sacrificed in performance. Leave it as is.

Can you elaborate?

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
CHIEFOPS said:
Can you elaborate?

I think he means that, when LED PAR36's have been swapped in the past, that the amps that are saved by the bulbs aren't worth it because the light output isn't good.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
This had been tried numerous times. LED PAR-36 bulbs do not have the well focused light beam that you get with from sealed beam spot light bulb, so they lack the "pop" that you normally get with a rotating light. You will save a little on amp draw, but you will lose a lot on effectiveness.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Back around the turn of the century, the NYPD started ordering and refitting our existing McDermott Multi-Level Riser lightbars with par36 LED bubs in the can light housings, the kind of bulbs with, I dunno, 50 or more little LEDS, not like the bulb in the post above with a few large ones, and they were just as bright or brighter than the halogens they replaced. Why wouldn't such a bulb be effective in a rotator?

Last edited by a moderator:

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
CHIEFOPS said:
Back around the turn of the century, the NYPD started ordering and refitting our existing McDermott Multi-Level Riser lightbars with par36 LED bubs in the can light housings, the kind of bulbs with, I dunno, 50 or more little LEDS, not like the bulb in the post above with a few large ones, and they were just as bright or brighter than the halogens they replaced. Why wouldn't such a bulb be effective in a rotator?

McDermott Multi-Level Riser lightbars provide directional warning, just like surface-mounted LED lightheads and LED lightbars. The sort of LEDs used in these applications are effective due to their relatively widespread light output.

These PAR36 LED lightheads, like surface mount LEDs, are more like a flood-pattern bulb than the spot-pattern of the traditional 4416 bulb. Flood-pattern bulbs are not very effective in rotating lights, as compared to spot-pattern bulbs.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The bulbs we were using had a very tight pattern replicating a spot bulb, they did not have any real off-axis beam like a flood bulb. I see no reason why those particular bulb configurations would not be just as effective as sealed beam/halogens in rotators other than not be time-period authentic.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
CHIEFOPS said:
The bulbs we were using had a very tight pattern replicating a spot bulb, they did not have any real off-axis beam like a flood bulb. I see no reason why those particular bulb configurations would not be just as effective as sealed beam/halogens in rotators other than not be time-period authentic.

Who was the manufacturer of the LED bulbs you were using? What was their original intended application?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
shues said:
Who was the manufacturer of the LED bulbs you were using? What was their original intended application?

To be honest I don't know, it's been easily 10 years since I personally handled one, I'd be guessing- GE or whoever the big brand that made par36 and 46 bulbs(Philips? Wagner?). According to the McDermott website, they still market that model, I'll call them next week and ask!

Oct 28, 2010
Kingston NY
MARSMAN said:
LED lights in a rotator is about as smart as putting a screen door on a submarine.
:bonk: :nono: :nono: :duh:
Now that IS funny MARSMAN!!! I myself could never put in LED's in old school lights... It just ain't the same.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
OSP959® said:
I think the idea of retrofitting older rotators with par 36 led's is pretty cool. Update the older lights and keep them going.

The amp draw, and longevity is what i was looking at.. would love to see the Star pictured in action.

I love the old rotators, wish they'd let me use an old visabar, lol they put out the light, just draw the amps..

So next would be the proper bulbs (that would fit in the buckets), and the manufacturer to order them.. :)

Loved the look of the old palm beach county cars with the twin 4 lamp rotators..

Last edited by a moderator:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
CHIEFOPS said:
To be honest I don't know, it's been easily 10 years since I personally handled one, I'd be guessing- GE or whoever the big brand that made par36 and 46 bulbs(Philips? Wagner?). According to the McDermott website, they still market that model, I'll call them next week and ask!

McDermott produces their own bulbs.

Halogen: H60X X denotes color

LED: LEDMSBX X denotes color

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cawensel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.